Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

cuthbert

Quote from: Rhamahkil on August 24, 2011, 06:35:43 AMSo I have to use a computer program? What if I'm no where near a computer? I can't do it with the recorder alone?

You don't have to use a computer program (BRWC v.3.10, specifically) - it just makes it faster to get audio files into and out of the BR-80.

If you don't want to use the BRWC software (which is highly recommended and a real time saver), then you can drag a WAV file into the LIVEREC folder, and then import that into one or two tracks in MTR mode.

Quote from: Rhamahkil on August 24, 2011, 06:35:43 AMAnd about that quality thing, in MTR mode you have the option to import a .wav file of the same name as the MTR song into a track. That option is located in MENU-->TRACK EDIT-->IMPORT. Thing is, it doesn't import it perfectly. I tried to import from both eBand and LIVE REC, and neither of them sounded as good the recording itself.

Not sure I understand what you mean here - the name of the WAV file you import is not dependent at all on the MTR song name. It can be any file system-legal name and be imported into any song, whatever its name, on the BR-80.

I also don't understand what you mean when you write that your WAV 'doesn't import perfectly' - all BOSS BR multitrack recorders use a proprietary compression format, and WAV files get converted on import (or from the BRWC software). It's not uncompressed, but the audio that I've worked with in the BR-80 has always had excellent audio quality.

Maybe you can provide more details - what are the bit depth and sampling rate of your source WAV file? Is it stereo or mono?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: Rhamahkil on August 24, 2011, 06:35:43 AMSo I have to use a computer program? What if I'm no where near a computer? I can't do it with the recorder alone?

If the song you wish to import is in a file (WAV, MP3, etc.), then obviously you have to use a computer. You can do it without the BR Wave Converter software, but it's not as easy. And since you need a computer either way, I'd recommend using the BR Wave Converter software.

If the song you wish to import is on another audio device such as an MP3 player, then you could connect the Line Out from the MP3 player to the BR-80's Line In and record it. But the quality will suffer slightly (though perhaps not noticeably). You'd be better off copying the file from the MP3 player to your computer, then importing it into the BR-80 using the BR Wave Converter software.

QuoteAnd about that quality thing, in MTR mode you have the option to import a .wav file of the same name as the MTR song into a track. That option is located in MENU-->TRACK EDIT-->IMPORT. Thing is, it doesn't import it perfectly. I tried to import from both eBand and LIVE REC, and neither of them sounded as good the recording itself.

A wave file imported from LIVE REC or eBand mode should sound exactly the same in MTR mode. The only reason I can think of why it might sound different is if you imported a stereo recording to a single track which would make it mono. You need to select a stereo pair of tracks as the destination to keep the song in stereo. So the destination should be TR12, TR34, TR56, or TR78.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the same name as the MTR song". The name of the wave file which you copy into LIVE REC or eBand mode can be anything you like. The name of your song in MTR mode can also be anything you like (within the character and length limits of the BR-80). They don't have to be the same. MTR mode will import the specified track(s) from the last-accessed song in either LIVE REC or eBand mode, regardless of its name.

Just noticed that cuthbert beat me to it and said basically the same things as me. But I thought I'd post mine anyway since I've spent a fair bit of time typing it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

When I enter the Track Import option from MTR, in source i see this: [LIVE REC CURRENT SONG] or [EBAND CURRENT SONG]. I can't choose anything else, only between these two.
Here is a picture
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/807/31003510150351972901815.jpg

EDIT: Whoa, I just realized I'm more stupid than Lindsey Lohan on drugs, so I'll just shut up now.

cuthbert

Yes, you have to choose the song you want to import in LIVE REC or eBand mode first, before you import it into a song in MTR mode.

I think that's a bit of an annoyance compared to for instance importing in the Micro BR, but it is what it is...
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Quote from: Rhamahkil on August 24, 2011, 10:17:29 AMWhen I enter the Track Import option from MTR, in source i see this: [LIVE REC CURRENT SONG] or [EBAND CURRENT SONG]. I can't choose anything else, only between these two.

Yes, but "current song" just means whichever song was last accessed in that mode (LIVE REC or eBand). It has nothing to do with the name of the song.

For example, suppose you have a wave file called "House of the Rising Sun". You copy this wave file into eBand mode and name it "RISINGSUN". Now you switch to MTR mode and create a new song. Let's say its name is "SONG0017". You go into track edit mode and select Import from EBAND CURRENT SONG. Since it's a stereo wave file, you set the destination to TR12-V1. After the file is imported, you can play back tracks 1 and 2 while recording your bass on track 3.

( and cuthbert beats me again. I must be getting slow in my old age. :D )

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

64Guitars

Anyone know how to enter lowercase letters into a song name or patch name in the BR-80? The manual shows only uppercase letters. But the screen shots on page 84 show a mastering patch named "Mix Down". So I assume that lowercase letters are possible.

In other BRs, you can toggle the currently-selected character between uppercase and lowercase by pressing [ENTER]
( [TR3] on the original Micro BR ). But on the BR-80, pressing [ENTER] accepts whatever filename you've entered and writes the song or patch to the memory card.

Just curious. I don't have a BR-80.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 24, 2011, 11:03:26 AMAnyone know how to enter lowercase letters into a song name or patch name in the BR-80? The manual shows only uppercase letters. But the screen shots on page 84 show a mastering patch named "Mix Down". So I assume that lowercase letters are possible.

In other BRs, you can toggle the currently-selected character between uppercase and lowercase by pressing [ENTER]
( [TR3] on the original Micro BR ). But on the BR-80, pressing [ENTER] accepts whatever filename you've entered and writes the song or patch to the memory card.

Just curious. I don't have a BR-80.

Great question, 64G - yes, you do it with the scroll wheel. From the default all capitals letters, you can scroll clockwise to get directly to lower case letters, or counterclockwise to select special characters and numbers.

Also the scrolling loops, so wherever you are you can get to where you want to be pretty quickly.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Thanks cuthbert. I wondered if it might be something like that. My BR-864 also lets me scroll through the list of characters with the VALUE wheel. I probably would have guessed that the BR-80 worked that way too except every screenshot in the manual shows the available characters starting on 'A' and ending on 'Z'. If they'd included a screenshot where the available characters started on, say, 'H', then it would have been more obvious that you can scroll through a much larger character set.

Still, it would be nice if the BR-80 had a way to toggle the case with a single button press like the other BRs. Have you tried pressing various buttons while in song or patch naming mode? Maybe one of the TR buttons, or A<>B, for example?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 24, 2011, 11:48:47 AMStill, it would be nice if the BR-80 had a way to toggle the case with a single button press like the other BRs. Have you tried pressing various buttons while in song or patch naming mode? Maybe one of the TR buttons, or A<>B, for example?

Nope, no hardware shortcuts to toggle case or character set as far as I can see. I tried pressing multiple buttons, too. Maybe there's an Easter egg someplace? I did like how you could do that fairly quickly on the Micro BR.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

That's too bad. It would have been nice if they'd used the TR buttons so that you could go instantly to the section of the character set that you need. For example, TR1/2 could show uppercase characters starting at 'A'. TR3/4 could show lowercase characters starting at 'a'. TR5/6 could show numbers, punctuation, and other symbols. And TR7/8 could toggle the case of the currently-selected letter. Oh well. At least lowercase letters, numbers, and other characters are available, even if it's not quite as convenient to access them as it could be.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website