Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

Gnasty

Quote from: henwrench on August 06, 2011, 03:34:26 PMblah, blah, blah.....

simple question, I ain't got much time...

BR 80....

yes or no.....?

henwrench

Yes Mr. Henwrench! I`m keeping my Mbr but i like this one better and i think you will too, so go get the damn thing so you can bug Gringo with yet another silverbox invention! ;D

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Gnasty

Okay i figured out how to switch while vox on. So do everything i said 2 posts up. Make sure you are in MTR mode.

So when you have your input sensitivity on, press exit. Press record and then COSM and you can scroll through all effects and you can also press play and listen to the tracks you recorded and pick whatever effect suits your song.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Bluesberry

Quote from: Gnasty on August 06, 2011, 03:58:20 PMOkay i figured out how to switch while vox on. So do everything i said 2 posts up. Make sure you are in MTR mode.

So when you have your input sensitivity on, press exit. Press record and then COSM and you can scroll through all effects and you can also press play and listen to the tracks you recorded and pick whatever effect suits your song.

Brilliant Gnasty man.......solved another one.....I can't wait to get mine......

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Gnasty on August 06, 2011, 03:58:20 PMOkay i figured out how to switch while vox on. So do everything i said 2 posts up. Make sure you are in MTR mode.

So when you have your input sensitivity on, press exit. Press record and then COSM and you can scroll through all effects and you can also press play and listen to the tracks you recorded and pick whatever effect suits your song

You are a Star Gnasty!!!!......Thats all I needed..My glass is now full to overflowing......
 Exactly what this thread is for....
Thanks for the help

Gnasty

QuoteThe wheel is awkward to use (you have to use nails) and does not rotate well as seen in the demo video.

I really have no problem with the cogwheel at all. I would say if the wheel didn`t work this unit
would be junk. I would say the wheel is your best friend on the br-80 because it helps speed up
every process you want to do. Like using it to fast forward and rewind while the song is playing
or not playing to get to where you want in the song.

When i was fooling around with vox effects yesterday, i used the wheel for editing effects and wow
it just kicks the shit out of the mbr in speed to get the right sound you want fast compared to
pressing the button and waiting and then checking it and have to press the button and wait again.

Another thing i noticed in recording in MTR is when you record in a certain spot and want to hear it,
you just have to hit rewind and stop and it goes right back to the place you started to record. If
you hit it again it`ll go right back to the start of the song.

The A/B punch is brilliant because once you record the spot you punched in it automatically plays it
over and over again so you can listen and are happy with it till you push the stop button. GENIUS!

I have to say i really don`t see any downsides to this thing. If you really want to learn how to use it
well, just do what i did and record a couple guitars, bass. and put some drums down to a 2 minute
song in MTR mode and just start pressing buttons and fooling around with it and remember the things
you do. It will all click eventually and you`ll be using it like you built the thing yourself.

I can`t see how anyone can not love a hand held recorder like this. To know i can take it anywhere
with me and do whatever with it is a godsend.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

Quote from: Gnasty on August 07, 2011, 07:50:56 AMAnother thing i noticed in recording in MTR is when you record in a certain spot and want to hear it,
you just have to hit rewind and stop and it goes right back to the place you started to record. If

The original Micro BR also returns to zero when you press Stop and Rewind. I think all of the BRs do that except for the BR-800 which has a dedicated Zero button instead.

You can also press Stop and Fast Forward to get to the end of the song on most BRs, including the original Micro BR. Although, I'm not sure if it works on the BR-80 as it isn't mentioned in the manual. Only Stop-Rewind is mentioned. Maybe someone could try Stop-Fast Forward on their BR-80 and let us know if it works.

QuoteThe A/B punch is brilliant because once you record the spot you punched in it automatically plays it
over and over again so you can listen and are happy with it till you push the stop button. GENIUS!

The original Micro BR has that feature too.  I think all of the BRs have A-B repeat.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Gnasty

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 07, 2011, 08:25:43 AM
Quote from: Gnasty on August 07, 2011, 07:50:56 AMAnother thing i noticed in recording in MTR is when you record in a certain spot and want to hear it,

The original Micro BR also returns to zero when you press Stop and Rewind. I think all of the BRs do that except for the BR-800 which has a dedicated Zero button instead.

You can also press Stop and Fast Forward to get to the end of the song on most BRs, including the original Micro BR. Although, I'm not sure if it works on the BR-80 as it isn't mentioned in the manual. Only Stop-Rewind is mentioned. Maybe someone could try Stop-Fast Forward on their BR-80 and let us know if it works.

QuoteThe A/B punch is brilliant because once you record the spot you punched in it automatically plays it

The original Micro BR has that feature too.  I think all of the BRs have A-B repeat.

Huh? My Mbr never automatically  played back my punch ever over and over again without touching it
after i recorded? I must have had a dud!

I know the stop RW and stop FF takes you to the beginning and end on all of them but it never took me
back to the place i first hit record ever.

Must you correct my statements that are correct anyway?? ???  ;D :D ;D :D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Gnasty

Yes you`re right AB repeat. I just always forgot to hit the repeat if i remember now!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

Quote from: Gnasty on August 07, 2011, 08:36:10 AMI know the stop RW and stop FF takes you to the beginning and end on all of them but it never took me
back to the place i first hit record ever.

Yes. That's probably true for the original Micro BR. All of the BRs have some form of return to zero functionality but it varies between models. The BR-8, 532, 600, 864, and 900 have a dedicated Zero button that returns to 0:00:00, while Stop-Rewind returns to the start of the recording and Stop-Fast Forward goes to the end of the recording. The BR-800 also has a dedicated Zero button but it lacks the start of recording/end of recording features (as far as I know) because its touch sensor interface can't detect simultaneous button presses. The original Micro BR goes to 0:00:00 on Stop-Rewind and the end of the recording on Stop-Fast Forward. The BR-80, as you said, uses Stop-Rewind for both return to zero and return to start of recording. I don't know if it has a way of going directly to the end of the recording (Stop-Fast Forward on other BRs).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Bluesberry

I finally got my hands on my BR-80 yesterday.  OK, I read through the manual, twice, then went on here and read through this thread, and finally turned the little beauty on and started to play.  I didn't have too much time, and really didn't get too much further than e-band mode....eband mode stopped me in my tracks....I just had to grab my guitar.........I love that e-band mode.  I played along with the excellent backing tracks for over an hour and a half, totally lost in the joy of playing my Epi Sheraton.  And the COSM effects on this unit are completly fantastic.  A big step up from the original mBR (IMO).  I didn't tweek at all, and every effect that was dialed up with the backer in eband mode sounded wickedly good.  My Sheraton was loving the tones.  I was playing through my good headphones and it sounded bloody good.  I have read some comments on here that the COSM effects are weak or not very good......I disagree. I am very happy with the guitar effects in this unit.  In fact I am completly satisfied with everything about this unit.  I don't see this as a step backwards in any way from the original, its all an advancement over the original.  There is nothing I see here that is not good.  Putting the eband functionality on this thing was a brilliant idea.  Live Rec mode, I understand what the idea is, to turn this into one of those field recording devices like the little Tascam hand-held units.  To be able to turn on the machine, hit a few buttons and record my acoustic guitar, voice, harmonica, etc and generate a mp3 as fast and easy as that, no track manipulation, no mastering, just a go.  Thats fantastic.  And then to be able to imort that into mtr mode to use in the 8 track recorder section, brilliant.  And what about MTR mode, vast improvement in so many ways over the original mBR, its not even in the same league anymore.  To be able to apply EQ/reverb/panning, mute/solo....etc... like I can on its big brother the BR-1200... each track through the excellent track editing screens is huge.  To see the levels on all tracks at the same time, while manipulating levels, etc.  For such a small screen, it works, wonderfully.  I would say that if this was the device that was available when I got my original mBR, I would have been totally satisfied and never went out and got the BR-1200, this thing gives me almost as much as my BR-1200, at a fraction of the size.....brilliant.  All these reports of bugs, of being underwhelmed, of BOSS rushing this to market, of deal breakers......I just don't agree.  This is a fantastic peice of kit.  The best pocket sized stand-alone recorder on the market... IMO.  The thing about the mics and line-in being linked together...... a very cool design feature.  This way you can record mics alone, line in alone or blend the both sources together....just by adjusting the rec level wheel and the line in volume.  Brilliant.  I can record my voice and E-piano together......or I can run my guitar through a guitar effects box, like a POD or my adrenalinn pedal, or even my old mBR and run this into line in.  Then sing into the mics.  Guitar and voice at the same time.  I don't see any reason to complain about this unit.  I am sure I will love this thing for many, many satisfied years.  Good one BOSS, way to hit it out of the park.  This thing seriously rocks.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand