Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

Tony W

Quote from: KKerrick on August 04, 2011, 05:37:02 PMThe one thing I would like is an internal rechargeable battery. I was surprised to see that they haven't implemented a seemingly ubiquitous feature of portable devices. Disabling auto-off on USB power would be nice as well. Roland needs to open a real user forum and take a few direct hits.

I had never even considered a built in battery. In my mind it would be an obtuse addition. I can't imagine a worse scenario than being a track away from completing a recording, and have to plug in to charge batteries. Swapping batteries is quick and doesn't kill work flow. A majority of the members here use rechargeable batteries in their device, and have multiple pairs. 

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

KKerrick

Quote from: Tony W on August 05, 2011, 07:58:31 AM
Quote from: KKerrick on August 04, 2011, 05:37:02 PMThe one thing I would like is an internal rechargeable battery. I was surprised to see that they haven't implemented a seemingly ubiquitous feature of portable devices. Disabling auto-off on USB power would be nice as well. Roland needs to open a real user forum and take a few direct hits.

I had never even considered a built in battery. In my mind it would be an obtuse addition. I can't imagine a worse scenario than being a track away from completing a recording, and have to plug in to charge batteries. Swapping batteries is quick and doesn't kill work flow. A majority of the members here use rechargeable batteries in their device, and have multiple pairs. 

I also am swapping rechargables in and out. Agreed, so leaving the batteries removable but allowing the unit to recharge them when connected to external power would be nice.
Ken Kerrick
Roland Micro BR-80 User

Tony W

Quote from: KKerrick on August 05, 2011, 09:57:10 AMSo, I'm not sure what your problem with me is?

Simply put, there are quite a few of us who are migrating from the Micro BR to the BR-80. We have certain expectations, and rightfully so. I get the impression that you feel as though our expectations are either unfounded and have no merit. Whether these issues we're addressing are considered bugs are not is completely irrelevant. The device is missing standard functions which it's predecessor is capable of. There is no logical reason not to expect a better product in lieu of a changed product.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Quote from: KKerrick on August 05, 2011, 02:02:13 PMI'm the kind of guy who would rather just get going rather than stop and complain everytime I had to learn a new way around something.

That's what has been grating me.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Guys, please stop.

Let's keep this thread to discussion about the BR-80. Thanks.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

KKerrick

Quote from: cuthbert on August 05, 2011, 03:26:56 PMGuys, please stop.

Agreed, I will manually remove all of my posts that are off topic.
Ken Kerrick
Roland Micro BR-80 User

64Guitars

It seems that we have several members who always see the glass as half empty. They're disappointed with each new BR because it isn't 100% what they want. Like KKerrick, I'm more of a glass-half-full kind of guy. I'm more interested in the new capabilities of a new BR model. The minor omissions and design quirks don't bother me very much. There's usually a way around them so they're seldom deal breakers. And the positive advancements in new products such as the BR-80 far outweigh the minor omissions and design quirks, so I find them easy to overlook. I'd rather concentrate on learning about the new features and getting the most out of them than worrying about a few minor inconveniences.

When it was discovered that the BR-800 lacked some of the editing capabilities of previous BRs, it didn't bother me. I had no plans to buy a BR-800 anyway, but even if I did, I would have accepted that I'd have to do much of my editing on the computer and that would have been fine with me. There are so many great new features in the BR-800 that they make the editing issue seem quite trivial and inconsequential to me.

When I got my BR-864 nearly eight years ago, I noticed that many other users were complaining about the BR-864's track bank switching. Although I agree that it was a bad design decision, I quickly adapted and it has never really bothered me very much. That's why I'm still using the BR-864 today. I'm quite happy with it and although the newer BRs have a lot of great new features, I've never felt that any of them were sufficiently better than my BR-864 to justify an upgrade. And I'm not a fan of micro and miniature sized gadgets. So until Boss comes out with a fullsize recorder that's significantly better than my BR-864, I'm quite happy to stick with it. It serves my needs and includes some features that aren't available in the newer BRs such as MIDI and the guitar synth effect.

I know that no recorder is ever going to be 100% to my liking. So I'd accept the minor inconveniences in any recorder and make the most of its many useful features. But, as I said, I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy and I realize that not every one has the same outlook. Unfortunately, the glass-half-empty folks will never be satisfied. Every recorder will always have some minor quirk that disappoints them and they'll concentrate on that rather than the many great features available to them which they never had before.

Bugs like the non-4/4 drum pattern issue are worth complaining about because it might result in a firmware update that fixes the issue. And it's almost certainly a bug rather than a design issue so it's important for BR-80 users to complain to Roland about that issue. But most of the other issues that have been mentioned seem trivial to me. It doesn't hurt to mention them to Roland, but I wouldn't dwell on those issues and let them ruin my enjoyment of the BR-80 if I had one.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

64Guitars

Quote from: KKerrick on August 05, 2011, 03:38:29 PM

No need. I don't think most of the comments here have been off-topic because they're about the BR-80. The problem is that some of the discussion is starting to get a bit personal. I think that's what cuthbert is concerned about and I agree. So let's try to discuss the BR-80 without taking opposing viewpoints personally.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

KKerrick

Quote from: 64Guitars on August 05, 2011, 03:44:42 PM
Quote from: KKerrick on August 05, 2011, 03:38:29 PM

No need. I don't think most of the comments here have been off-topic because they're about the BR-80. The problem is that some of the discussion is starting to get a bit personal. I think that's what cuthbert is concerned about and I agree. So let's try to discuss the BR-80 without taking opposing viewpoints personally.

Not a problem. I just distilled for content in my previous posts. Reading through a long thread is hard enough without large amounts of personal editorial. I really just want to be helpful in suggesting workarounds to issues if I can. No machine is perfect so, I work imperfectly to get things done :)
Ken Kerrick
Roland Micro BR-80 User

KKerrick

Given all this editing, it hit me that the undo feature is hard to get to. Anyone know a shortcut? Not that big of a deal once you've done it once in a session as it remembers your menu positions.
Ken Kerrick
Roland Micro BR-80 User