Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

Tony W

I'm going to expand on the concept.

Basically, there are 3 ways to kill the built in mics.

1  kill the input sense and record via line in/usb.
2  use a dummy 1/4 plug to trick the BR into thinking there's a guitar plugged in.
3  never hit the record button. (the mics are in standby until the record button is pressed)

Then, the other issue is, If you want to test vocal patches or whatever, you have to arm the built in mics by hitting record, otherwise they stay in standby mode. So, the only way to test out patches is to record your attempts until you find the patch....... this seems so silly to me.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Tony W on August 02, 2011, 09:51:42 AMThen, the other issue is, If you want to test vocal patches or whatever, you have to arm the built in mics by hitting record, otherwise they stay in standby mode. So, the only way to test out patches is to record your attempts until you find the patch....... this seems so silly to me.

This is an issue for me why can you scroll through cosm effects over a track with the guitar and not with the mike ...........
The MBR could!
I still think the BR-80 is a fantastic bit of kit but that mic issue is really irritating me

Tony W

I got 2 replies back from Roland tech support. Neither of the above items are considered bugs. Apparently poor conceptualization doesn't qualify as a bug. I've been given a separate email address in order to suggest items for firmware updates, so we'll see how that goes.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

Quote from: Tony W on August 02, 2011, 05:06:07 PMI got 2 replies back from Roland tech support. Neither of the above items are considered bugs. Apparently poor conceptualization doesn't qualify as a bug. I've been given a separate email address in order to suggest items for firmware updates, so we'll see how that goes.

oooow

deal breaker-
that sucks

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

KKerrick

Workarounds:

Turning off the Guitar/Mic or Built-in Mic and Leaving the Line In Active:

It states in the manual, just below the signal chain diagrams (pages 53 and 89 of the PDF):

QuoteTo record only the sound arriving at the LINE IN jack and USB connector, turn the [REC LEVEL] dial all the way down.

The record level only affects the microphones or guitar line in and is not in the signal chain for the line in. So, setting it at 0 shuts the mic/guitar or internal microphones off leaving the line in on. Line in is not available in Live Rec mode at all.

How to Monitor the Built-In Mic's while Experimenting with Effects:

From what I can see Page 58 and 93 of the PDF manual implies that you need "standby" (arm for record) to monitor. Go into the COSM menu and setup your effects. You don't have to repeatedly enter and exit the "standby" mode to edit or change the effect. Unfortunately, you do have to hit play and start recording in order to playback while experimenting so, get used to undo. I submitted a request to make an option to always be monitoring via a menu toggle.
Ken Kerrick
Roland Micro BR-80 User

Tony W

Ken, I am quite aware of what in am suggesting. I am suggesting that Roland provide consistancy across their product line. Lord knows I have had enough of them to know how they all function. What I didn't find was an outlet to make suggestions for improvement (sticking with previous standards) and now, courtesy of tech support, I have that contact. If a dialogue ensues I will share it.

By the way I didn't leave the documented version out, I used incorrect terminology because I had neither the device nor manual in front of me while masking the post. I thought most who owned the device would know or understand the 3 methods (2 + Sarcasm) that I mentioned.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Quote from: KKerrick on August 03, 2011, 06:35:08 AMIts all good. It seemed you were trying to imply that there was actual problem rather than a preferential issue.

In my world poor conceptualization is an actual problem  ;D. I really struggle with the fact that Roland dropped so many cool features from the Micro BR. The Auto Power off feature doesn't sense external power.... The Built in Mics are on by default when other input sources are being utilized. Why not build on a successful platform, not revamp it and drop functionality.

I've not received a reply from the email address I sent the suggestions to. When I verify that it's legitimate, I'll post it. 

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hi all,
I'm new here but have been following your discussion with interest as I'm considering buying a BR 80.  I've been in contact with Boss UK about the drum programming aspect of this machine as I'd like to create my own patterns in time signatures other than 4/4.  It seems that the bundled sonar software enables you to create beats and import them as midi files which is great news.  On the downside, the BR800 rhythm editor is not compatible unfortunately.  Here's what Boss say about using time signatures other than 4/4...

"Thank you for your email. Apologies for the delay replying. I have been doing some experiments here with the BR80. It imports MIDI files created in Sonar nicely as rhythms in 4/4, but unfortunately the time signature cannot be changed to other time signatures such as 3/4 when creating your multi-track recording".

Apologies if I'm flogging a dead horse here but I was wondering whether anyone thinks this is something that can be 'fixed' with a firmware update?  Seems like a great little machine and I'd still probably buy one regardless, but fixing this would be the icing on the cake.
Ta

64Guitars

Quote from: nowheremancy on August 03, 2011, 12:14:45 PMI was wondering whether anyone thinks this is something that can be 'fixed' with a firmware update?

I'm sure that it can be fixed in a firmware update but that doesn't mean that it will be. If enough people complain about the lack of time signatures other than 4/4, then Roland might fix it to avoid the negative impact on sales. We saw this with the BR-800's reduced track editing capabilities compared to previous BRs. BR-800 owners were outraged and complained in sufficient numbers that Roland eventually released a firmware update to add the missing track editing features. But if only a few people complain about the BR-80's time signature problem, Roland will probably ignore it. So I urge all BR-80 users to complain to Roland about this.

I suspect that it will be very easy for them to fix. The BR-80 drum machine already has the ability to play non-4/4 patterns since several such metronome patterns are built in. And midi files include time signature data. So the BR-80 only needs to observe the time signature data in the midi file and set it as it does with the non-4/4 metronome patterns. In my opinion, the fact that it doesn't currently do this is a bug and should be fixed by Roland.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

BuleriaChk

(I'm hoping against hope they'll include Toneload in that update, although the eBand mode does work pretty well for playing backing loops..)

Here's the response I got from Roland t/s:

========================================================

Question: I am trying to figure out how to create a new song in 3/4 tiime on the BR-80. I can't BELIEVE Roland is dumbing all its equipment down to 4/4. PLEASE tell us we're wrong... (I'm the second person on the BR forum to have noticed this...)

Hello Chuck,

At this point in time, there are odd time signature metronome rhythms, but that seems to be it. Importing SMF's in other time signatures is not working. We have reported this to Roland Japan and are awaiting a response as to whether this is expected behaviour or a bug. If it's a bug, look for it to be fixed in an upcoming firmware update.

Sincerely,
Roland US Product Support
M-F 7:30am-5:00pm Pacific Time
323-890-3740

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20