Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

KKerrick

Grr I confirmed the same thing. I call bug. I tested it in full song mode as well. The song I used was "The Ocean" by Zeppelin. It does not track the time signature changes over time either. I'll redo my advise from earlier to represent workarounds.

Option One: Just map out the song using the metronome

Option Two (Yuck!): Just map out the song using the metronome and import the audio export of another synth playing the real midi file and mute the rhythm guide.

Option Three (complete end run): Just use time stamps for referance and import an audio drum track.

This is not workable. Cuthbert do you know of the best way to submit a bug report?

Quote from: cuthbert on July 22, 2011, 11:12:35 AM
Quote from: BuleriaChk on July 22, 2011, 10:53:25 AMI tried to import a 3/4 MIDI file, but it plays back as 4/4, with the extra beat at the end....
I have written Roland T/S to complain about this, but it will go down a black hole, I'm sure.

If everything about the file is correct, then that sounds like a bug - at the very least, they should fix it with a firmware update.

Not sure when I'll get to it, but I want to poke around in this area myself...
Ken Kerrick
Roland Micro BR-80 User

Beowulf63

Option 4: Write/Record in 4/4.

I would have to imagine that some simple glitch-fix from Roland/Boss can overcome that.  To leave out that capability....well, they've been in the business long enough to know! 
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

KKerrick

Yeah you followed that correctly. The limiting factor is you really have to plan out the rhythm first. This works great for pre composed music but not idea generation. As for the other instruments I just use Sonar X1 to give me a backing band essentially. I'm very MIDI based in my accompanyment so, my end to end lifecycle is:

1. Compose an idea using the Live Rec mode paying no mind to rhythm.
2. Play around by putting together rhythms to fit the idea
3. On paper plan the layout of the song sections
4. Use Sonar X1 or Guitar Pro 6 to generate the Rhythm track and install it to the BR-80
5. Practice my idea in the formalized way and track it to the rhythm (this really avoids my need for the rhythm guide to read out correctly. Time stamp is enough.)
6. Add a vocal track
7. Dump the audio track back into Sonar X1 and complete the arrangement
8. Master in Sonar X1

Quote from: Beowulf63 on July 22, 2011, 10:49:46 AMVery interesting Ken! So, for the more complex arrangements, compose the whole rhythm track in the software, send it to the BR-80's rhythm track, then record the rest.  I hope I followed that correctly!
I usually write/record the song framework, then go in and lay out the complete percussion track. I then go back to put the 'proper' guitars, keys, vocals in afterwards. 
This might work! (I think! LOL)

Ken Kerrick
Roland Micro BR-80 User

KKerrick

You only need 4/4 for techno music so, thats why they rolled it out in Germany. They are trying to kill Prog Rock!! Booo!!

Quote from: Beowulf63 on July 22, 2011, 11:36:04 AMOption 4: Write/Record in 4/4.

I would have to imagine that some simple glitch-fix from Roland/Boss can overcome that.  To leave out that capability....well, they've been in the business long enough to know! 
Ken Kerrick
Roland Micro BR-80 User

Beowulf63

Yuck! Prog Never Dies!    ;D
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

KKerrick

ROFL at any rate I called in the bug to their support line. I gave them this thread to reference.

Quote from: Beowulf63 on July 22, 2011, 11:58:01 AMYuck! Prog Never Dies!    ;D
Ken Kerrick
Roland Micro BR-80 User

cuthbert

Quote from: KKerrick on July 22, 2011, 11:29:41 AMThis is not workable. Cuthbert do you know of the best way to submit a bug report?

Other than calling Roland Support directly (U.S.: (323) 890-3740), the only other way I know to report a bug is through their web form:

http://www.rolandus.com/support/email_support/
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

KKerrick

Roland got back to me. They have to forward the bug to Japan. They tried to tell me that the device display only supported 4/4 patterns. I corrected them in pointing out that the metronome does support other time signatures and the display represents them correctly. So... bug. I urge others to call if they are running into this bug as your workflows are different than mine and may help them nail down the issue. Roland Support U.S.: (323) 890-3740

PS. I know that they can fix it if, they care to try.
Ken Kerrick
Roland Micro BR-80 User

BuleriaChk

I think it is a fundamental design issue; you can't specify the time signature in a new song, you can only work from a template or an "uncategorized" new song - but you can't set meter in either case.  So you can set the metronome to 3/4, but it doesn't control (or sync) with the song, and the imported midi has no effect either (as I said, the 3/4 midi file I loaded played back, except with an added beat to make it 4/4).

(I should add that I didn't hear an accented beat with the 3/4 metronome - maybe I was doing something wrong, though)

I agree it can be fixed with a firmware update (but hey, they could probably include Toneload if they wanted).  Roland has simply GOT to hire a few musicians in addition to a few more programmers.  Sheesh!

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

Henky

Have been playing with this little gadget all day now.
And what i least expected turned out to be the most fun: the eBand mode
I have to say the provided sound clips and songs are really first class and invite you to play along almost instantly.
I barely ever play covers or songs from other people but i just could not resist soloing away with these backing tracks.  8)

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Zoom HD16
recorder
Zoom R16
recorder
Cubase