Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

cuthbert

Hey, here's a cool little feature to go along with import in the BR-80: import a stereo WAV or MP3 to an empty pair of tracks, and the BR-80 pans it hard left/hard right for you, so you don't have to.

Nice touch, BOSS!  8)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

BuleriaChk

Since the folder system is different, but still in the ROLAND directory, I assume that backing up the BR-80 doesn't affect the directories of the other devices, and that the Rhythm Editor and Toneload (and the SMF directoriy, etc.) is unaffected by backup/restore????

(I.e., the ROLAND directory can be used for all devices?)

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

Tony W

Quote from: cuthbert on July 14, 2011, 07:22:19 PMHey, here's a cool little feature to go along with import in the BR-80: import a stereo WAV or MP3 to an empty pair of tracks, and the BR-80 pans it hard left/hard right for you, so you don't have to.

Nice touch, BOSS!  8)
SWEET

Quote from: BuleriaChk on July 14, 2011, 07:50:45 PMSince the folder system is different, but still in the ROLAND directory, I assume that backing up the BR-80 doesn't affect the directories of the other devices, and that the Rhythm Editor and Toneload (and the SMF directoriy, etc.) is unaffected by backup/restore????

(I.e., the ROLAND directory can be used for all devices?)

I would not back up the Roland folder to the PC if you own multiple BR's UNLESS you have a folder for each device

\Micro BR\Roland
\BR-80\Roland
\BR-800\Roland

Each Roland folder is going to contain \BR0 which will contain your songs. You'll regret overwriting that with another device.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

BuleriaChk

But unless the Roland directory is in the root of device C:, the rhythm editor can't find it, among other things.

I'll have to wait until I my BR-80 arrives, but I would imagine that Roland would have made the BR0 directory consistent among devices (i.e., the songs can be used in any of the BR series....).  But I could easily be wrong...

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

Tony W

Since you brought up panning Cuth, I think it's time to say that the navigation through the track settings absolutely rules.

The Track Mute & Solo and Track EQ additions were brilliant. I can't wait to test them out.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Yes, the levels, panning, EQ, solo/mute buttons, and reverb sends on the BR-80 are excellent - very intuitive to use if you've ever used a mixer. Graphically, they are designed resemble the components of a mixer (level sliders, rotary pots, buttons you 'click'). Each set of controls is on a separate page, but you have access to all eight tracks (plus rhythm, excepting panning) for those controls.

Combine it with the jog dial and the up/down/right/left buttons (along with the enter & exit buttons), and it's quick and easy to do common tasks in this recorder.

To give an example, you can mute a track in the BR-80 in a few seconds with a few page clicks to the track mute/solo page, navigating right or left to the track you want to mute, and then a single button click to mute it, whereas in the Micro BR, you'd have to navigate to either the volume control page or the v-track assignment page, then have to press buttons repeatedly to set the volume to zero or to navigate to an empty v-track.

It's quicker and more intuitive to do tasks like this in the BR-80.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Tony W

I can't believe nobody else has theirs yet!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

I'm still waiting........we do things slower in Canada I guess..........but I really can't wait.........the more I read this thread, the more I know I am going to love mine.  It really sounds like a very good recorder in a very small package.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Redler

Congrats Cuth and Tony! And Dave I know how you feel! I assume that you are like a little boy in the xmas morning ;) .

Yesterday, I installed the drivers succesfully onto my pc and tested how the BR-80 works as an audio interface via USB. I played midi keyboard and it sounded cool. I tested different vst synths on FL-studio...

When recording vocals on my trusty MBR, I held it like a phone. But now, because of stereo mics I put it on the homemade stand. It is a bit difficult estimate the amplitude of my vocals. After mastering vocal track and importing it to Audacity I found some peaks and distortion. Maybe more experiment gives help to this problem... or does someone give tips for that?

I'm very pleased with many new features comparison to Micro BR...

Cheers,

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Kari, from what I've noticed the INPUT LEVEL (right side thumb wheel) actually adjusts the recorded level. I was quite surprised with that handy feature.

**Confirmed in LIVEREC mode with the onboard stereo mics!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR