Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

Tony W

grrr

I dragged and dropped an MP3 into the LIVREC folder.

When entering eBand mode, The only way the MP3 can be accessed is by scrolling to the LIVREC folder (it's not listed in any other of the options like All songs/User/Best 30/etc)

at this point the JS folder structure is unmodified or changed, so it appears eBand mode has dual functionality.
**EDIT** Source: eBand/Current must have an alternate ability to import, not just the JS folder

Once that MP3 is selected, you can then import it into tracks in MTR mode via source: eBand/Current

From LIVE REC mode, (the MP3 being the only file on the BR-80) it's automatically selected. and can be imported into tracks in MTR mode via source LIVEREC/Current

Part 2/Option 2 - utilizing Song List Editor

This definitely modifies/changes the JS folder structure. The JS folder now contains:
/JS/000
with new files:
0000.j8i
0000.mp3

So the LIVREC folder at this time still only contains the original MP3 and the JS folder ONLY contains the Song List Editor uploaded MP3.

Long story short, eBand mode will work for both types of imports, whereas LIVEREC only works for files which are dropped into the LIVREC folder (it won't work for Song List Editor imports).

I'm starting to wrap my head around the SLE import functionality. Take Geir for instance, He'll have a 20 track collab coming from multiple sources. He can use the SLE to name the tracks accordingly while listening to them.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Import is as slow as frozen molasses on the BR-80 (like it is in the Micro BR...are all BR models so slow?).  I tend to avoid importing because of this, and prefer using WAV files and the BR Wave Converter software as it's much quicker to get tracks on the recorder.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Tony W

The 1600 was slow as hell. The 800 is still just as slow. I can't vouch for the rest.

I apologize for all the edits in this thread. I'm getting exhausted. Most of them were grammatical/terminology.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on July 13, 2011, 11:36:56 PMImport is as slow as frozen molasses on the BR-80 (like it is in the Micro BR...are all BR models so slow?).

Yeah. When you use the BR Wave Converter software, the conversion between BR format and WAV format is being done by your computer which probably has a much faster processor than the BR.

QuoteI tend to avoid importing because of this, and prefer using WAV files and the BR Wave Converter software as it's much quicker to get tracks on the recorder.

And using the BR Wave Converter software with the BR-80 should be even faster than other BRs because the files can be moved between the computer and the BR-80 via USB 2.0. Have you tried this yet?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Tony W

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 13, 2011, 11:53:32 PMAnd using the BR Wave Converter software with the BR-80 should be even faster than other BRs because the files can be moved between the computer and the BR-80 via USB 2.0. Have you tried this yet?

I packed my BR collection up and brought the family to work to test this. My initial suspicion is that the BR-80 is going to blow the MBR and BR-800 out of the water using BRWC. The data transfer rate supports this. In an hour or 2 I'll have some live data.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Test Parameters

Windows 7 64bit
BRWC version 3.10
66.4MB .wav file
BR already connected to the PC (connection established on the BR-800 as well to exact the results)
BRWC already launched and the device selected
Micro BR 1GB Sandisk
BR-80 8GB SDHC class 4
BR-800 32GB SDHC Class 10
No other actions taken

Procedure:
Start the stopwatch
At this point I clicked Import, armed 2 tracks and selected the file for importing
Wait until the importing popup is gone and stopped the stopwatch

Results on the Micro BR

1:22

Results on the BR-800

**connected the BR and was met with the prompt that the SD card was corrupt. This happens every time I connect to a different PC. I continued without repairing. The first result was:

4:14

Repeated test after scanning and fixing:

2:48

I tested a third time due to the shock factor

2:49

Results on the BR-80

1:31

**I'm not even going to bother testing the times on the other 2 methods of importing to tracks, they are absurdly slow according to these results. They are in the 5-10 minute range.

The only downside to the BRWC method is the manual cleanup work involved. I don't save .WAV files so it's a constant battle to keep them under control.

Who's surprised that the Micro BR was the quickest import? I know I was.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Yes, I am seeing similar performance - here are my stats importing/exporting from the BR-80 using BRWC software:

WinXP SP3, 3.0 GHz HT PIV ("the dinosaur")
BRWC version 1.3.1
BR-80: 2 GB Toshiba SD, 32 GB Transcend Class 10 SDHC (tested 24 July 2011)
Micro BR: 1 GB SanDisk SD

Same USB cable for both recorders

I started with a stereo track I had recorded on the BR-80, which I then exported as a stereo WAV and mono (left channel only) WAV using BRWC.

Track duration: 02:31 (mm:ss)
Mono (left channel) WAV file size: 12.7 MB
Stereo WAV file size: 25.5 MB

Shorter times are faster: fastest speeds for each operation are in bold green.

UPDATE: BR-80 w/ 32 GB Transcend Class 10 SDHC
  • Export one mono track: 3.81 sec
  • Export one stereo track: 5.34 sec
  • Import one mono track: 17.07 sec
  • Import one stereo track: 26.95 sec

BR-80 w/ 2 GB Toshiba SD
  • Export one mono track: 3.39 sec
  • Export one stereo track: 5.45 sec
  • Import one mono track: 20.45 sec
  • Import one stereo track: 42.01 sec

Micro BR
  • Export one mono track:  7.48 sec
  • Export one stereo track: 16.15 sec
  • Import one mono track: 16.30 sec
  • Import one stereo track: 30.4 sec

UPDATE: New Import Winner: with a 32 GB Class 10 SDHC card inside, the edge now goes to the BR-80. For mono import, the MBR remains nearly 5% faster than the BR-80. However, stereo import shows a gain for the BR-80, which now imports 12% faster than the MBR. I'm still a little disappointed that the BR-80 is not significantly faster to import/export, but maybe that will be addressed in a firmware update?

Much more notable is to compare the import speed difference between the 32 GB Transcend Class 10 SDHC and the stock 2GB Toshiba SD in the BR-80: mono import is 18% faster, and stereo import is a whopping 43% faster!

Export speed difference was a little unexpected: mono export is nearly 12% slower (  ??? ), and stereo export is 2% faster.

(Original) Test Import Win: the (original) crown goes to the Micro BR. The MBR with a 1 GB SanDisk SD card is about 23% faster than the BR-80 with its default 2 GB Toshiba SD card for a mono file import, and 32% faster for a stereo import. I also didn't expect this, since the MBR uses USB 1.1 transfer, and BR-80 the much faster USB 2.0.

Export To Place: The BR-80 with its 2 GB Toshiba SD card is a bit more than 2x faster than the MBR for a single-track mono export, and almost 3x faster for a two-track stereo export. This is what I was expecting - the BR-80 is much faster than the MBR when exporting a WAV via BRWC.

Caveat: The BR-80 numbers may change with a SDHC card in it rather than the SD card, depending on its class rating. I don't have one yet. Update: Yes, initial testing shows the import times with a Class 10 SDHC card are much improved - see the update above.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Tony W

^ just checked the export on the Micro and BR-80 and agree. I have not tested the 800 yet though.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Quote from: Tony W on July 14, 2011, 10:38:12 AM^ just checked the export on the Micro and BR-80 and agree. I have not tested the 800 yet though.
You doing all this from work guys..............don't you have work to do...........what if the boss comes along...............

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Tony W

Quote from: Bluesberry on July 14, 2011, 11:00:51 AMwhat if the boss comes along...............
The boss is typing this message....

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR