Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

Bluesberry

Quote from: Gnasty on February 02, 2012, 06:06:10 PMI want to plug my acoustic in the guitar input and use the external mics at the same time like the MBR?.

Oh okay got it! Hmm i really wanted to use those condensor mics but it is what it is.

Here is what you can do, plug your guitar into an effects processor and then go line-in to the BR-80 with your guitar, turn up the input volume and you will also have the onboard mics.  You can't record to seperate tracks, it all goes to a stereo pair, guitar and voice together, but it may sound good this way.  I haven't tried it yet, but it will work this way.  The mics and line-in will record simultaneously.  You just have to get your guitar to the line-in.  You could even go from guitar in-old microBR-headhpones out-line in on BR-80 if you still have your old microBR.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

Quote from: Bluesberry on February 03, 2012, 08:41:15 AMHere is what you can do, plug your guitar into an effects processor and then go line-in to the BR-80 with your guitar, turn up the input volume and you will also have the onboard mics.  You can't record to seperate tracks, it all goes to a stereo pair, guitar and voice together, but it may sound good this way.  I haven't tried it yet, but it will work this way.  The mics and line-in will record simultaneously.  You just have to get your guitar to the line-in.  You could even go from guitar in-old microBR-headhpones out-line in on BR-80 if you still have your old microBR.

Yes indeed, this does work. If you can get your levels right before you record, it's a nice option but I wish they'd kept the input pairing option that you could do with the MBR with GTR+MIC.

I've only experimented with this option in the BR-80 myself for a LitLR song that never saw the light of day (Casiotone keyboard inserted into the Line Input with vocals through the built-in mics). I found it really hard to keep the key clicks from bleeding in, but that could be looked at as an advantage, too?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

Yeah, with acoustic guitar it would probably work out alright, guitar and vocals through the mics and then a second bit of acoustic through the line-in blended in to crisp up the acoustic. 

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Gnasty

Quote from: Bluesberry on February 03, 2012, 09:14:23 AMYeah, with acoustic guitar it would probably work out alright, guitar and vocals through the mics and then a second bit of acoustic through the line-in blended in to crisp up the acoustic. 

Exactly what i want to do. Just wanted to experiment with a fuller acoustic sound maybe.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate!  ;)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

cuthbert

Quote from: Gnasty on February 03, 2012, 09:30:14 AM
Quote from: Bluesberry on February 03, 2012, 09:14:23 AMYeah, with acoustic guitar it would probably work out alright, guitar and vocals through the mics and then a second bit of acoustic through the line-in blended in to crisp up the acoustic. 

Exactly what i want to do. Just wanted to experiment with a fuller acoustic sound maybe.

As long as you can get your guitar output to line level, you should be good to go.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Oldrottenhead

so you could plug yer guitar into an effects pedal then from there to the line in, which helps as line in has no effects right? and turn the mic input up and bobs yer aunty?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Yeah...Bob's your uncle

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

Quote from: oldrottenhead on February 03, 2012, 09:45:54 AMso you could plug yer guitar into an effects pedal then from there to the line in, which helps as line in has no effects right? and turn the mic input up and bobs yer aunty?

Well, maybe not exactly...

The old-school effects pedals usually have guitar-level output (meant to plug into a guitar amplifier input) - these would have a very low level in the Line Input (if you hear them at all) - unless you boost them to line level before input. If you've got an effects box that will output a line level signal, you should be fine though.

When you use the Line Input with the built-in mics, you can adjust the balance between inputs using the level wheel on the recorder.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Gnasty

Just wondering if i can use a DI box to do this?

Quote from: cuthbert on February 03, 2012, 09:43:06 AM
Quote from: Gnasty on February 03, 2012, 09:30:14 AM

As long as you can get your guitar output to line level, you should be good to go.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Bluesberry

If your DI box has a line out its good, or headphones out, anything boosted up to line level.  Does your DI box have a pre-amp in it?

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand