Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

iluvchiclets

Quote from: Krasi on February 02, 2012, 03:59:36 AMYou can not bounce with effects and that is the major difference (dissadvantage) compared to the "older" MBR!!!

It is also the reason why I had to learn to do it using Sonar which is included when you buy BR-80

As for the effects on keyboard, Geir already mentioned the solution - don't use the line in, plug it into the guitar in and problem solved. Still recording dry and then applying effects on bounce is not possible.  >:(

Thanks

Hi Krasi,

Thanks for your input.  I'm not sure if you were answering my questions from above or not.

If I record onto the BR80 using the Line-in, I assume I can apply the mastering effects to that recording, but not the COSM effects?

And, once I have applied the Mastering effects, can I continue to use the BR80 to multi-track or does the Mastering process finish off the project and prevent further work?

I hope I was clear on my questions.

Krasi

Ok, first of all, there is no more such thing as mastering effects anymore in the br-80.
There is a mastering process with only 3 tweakable options - I forgot what they were called. But you will not find anything like in the old mbr - no limiter or 4band eq.

And to answer your question - nope, once mastering takes place you would be asked to export.

Thanks
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Quote from: iluvchiclets on February 02, 2012, 11:42:00 AMAnd, once I have applied the Mastering effects, can I continue to use the BR80 to multi-track or does the Mastering process finish off the project and prevent further work?

Quote from: Krasi on February 02, 2012, 11:54:13 AMAnd to answer your question - nope, once mastering takes place you would be asked to export.

But exporting doesn't prevent you from continuing to work on the project. You can still play back the individual tracks and you can still add new tracks. So you can continue working on the project just as if you hadn't mastered at all. The mastered track is not part of the project at this point. It's just saved as a WAV file in the ROLAND/MASTERING folder. But you could import it into the project, although I believe you'd have to switch to eBand mode and select the song to do it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

iluvchiclets

Quote from: Krasi on February 02, 2012, 11:54:13 AMOk, first of all, there is no more such thing as mastering effects anymore in the br-80.
There is a mastering process with only 3 tweakable options - I forgot what they were called. But you will not find anything like in the old mbr - no limiter or 4band eq.

And to answer your question - nope, once mastering takes place you would be asked to export.

Thanks

Thanks again, Krasi,

I just had a look at the parameter guide for the BR-80, and it shows 19 different mastering algorithms.  There appears to be quite a selection of variations to choose from...did the Micro BR have more to offer in terms of options?  My BR-600 (and I think the 800) had only 19 variations?

This is starting to confuse me.  I wish there weren't these limitations.  I may consider the BR-800, although I can't stand the feel of those touch-switches on the face of it.  I wonder about their reliability?

64Guitars

Quote from: iluvchiclets on February 02, 2012, 04:24:17 PMI just had a look at the parameter guide for the BR-80, and it shows 19 different mastering algorithms.  There appears to be quite a selection of variations to choose from...did the Micro BR have more to offer in terms of options?  My BR-600 (and I think the 800) had only 19 variations?

The BR-80, BR-800, and BR-600 all have 19 mastering effect patches. In fact, they even have the same names. The original Micro BR has 10 mastering effect patches. Each patch is based on the available mastering effects and their parameters which is greatly reduced in the BR-80. Have a look at the Mastering Tool Kit section at the bottom of this document:

BR Effects Comparison

Mastering effects on any BR, including the BR-80 and BR-800, consist mainly of compression/limiting and equalization. But on the BR-80 and BR-800, Boss has dumbed-down the mastering effects, greatly reducing the available parameters and giving them stupid names. The compressor in the BR-600 has 13 parameters which you can adjust to your liking. The BR-80 and BR-800 have just two: DYNAMICS has a single value to adjust the amount of compression, and NATURAL also has a single value which (I assume) adjusts the compressor's attack and release. The only other mastering effect on the BR-80 and BR-800 is TONE which completely replaces the 16 parameters of the BR-600's mastering equalizer with a single value.

So, although the BR-80 has 19 patches, it severely restricts the amount of tweaking you can do to the mastering effects to create your own patches. Then again, it seems to me that most BR users never tweak their patches anyway, which is a shame. The BR-80's mastering effects are certainly much simpler to use and maybe that's a good thing for most users who wouldn't tweak their effects anyway. But for those who like to tweak, the mastering effects of the BR-80 and BR-800 are a disappointment.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

Help..We`re at 33 pages of 480 plus comments so i don`t want to backtrack through for an hour long.

I want to plug my acoustic in the guitar input and use the external mics at the same time like the MBR?.

I can`t remember if the Br-80 can do that. I checked the manual unless i overlooked i couldnt find.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

64Guitars

You could do it with an external mixer for the microphone plugged into the BR-80's Line In. However, you can't record the guitar and vocals to separate tracks. They'll be mixed together on the same track. See the diagram on page 53 of the BR-80 manual and the comments below it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

Oh okay got it! Hmm i really wanted to use those condensor mics but it is what it is.

Okay thanks 64!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

iluvchiclets

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 02, 2012, 05:13:48 PMThe BR-80, BR-800, and BR-600 all have 19 mastering effect patches. In fact, they even have the same names. The original Micro BR has 10 mastering effect patches. Each patch is based on the available mastering effects and their parameters which is greatly reduced in the BR-80.

Thanks for the excellent description, 64Guitars,

It was very helpful, and that effect comparison chart was great too.  I think that having less parameters to adjust will suit me better...I likely will just run the tracks through one of the Mastering presets. 

Geir

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 02, 2012, 05:13:48 PMBut for those who like to tweak, the mastering effects of the BR-80 and BR-800 are a disappointment.
Indeed it is !! I think that was the single most annoying thing about the br-800. But the 800 has a consoling feature, that partly makes up for it: the 8-TRACK COMP/LIM patches. And as you can combine them with the mastering effects it gives other possibilities for tweaking that can give the desired end-result. The br80 however lacks these options and I'd rather have the old mastering effects from the MicroBR.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........