Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

cuthbert

Hi iluvchiclets,

Quote from: iluvchiclets on February 01, 2012, 12:01:37 PMIf one chooses a stereo effect from the on-board COSM models (ie chorus, pan, rotary) does that particular recording instance use two tracks?  In order to provide a stereo effect?

All the COSM effects in the BR-80 are for input only (they can't be assigned to a track), which is a real limitation if you like to do all your production in the recorder. I don't often record with effects myself, but for stereo modulation effects I think yes, you'd have to record to a stereo pair of tracks to get the stereo effect. Otherwise I think the effect will be summed to mono, as there's no way a mono track can play back a stereo signal.

Quote from: iluvchiclets on February 01, 2012, 12:01:37 PMDo I understand correctly that if I use the 1/8" line-in on the BR80, it will record a stereo track (ie, use two tracks) but none of the effects on the BR80 can be applied to this particular instance of recording?

That's correct, sadly. There's no way to add COSM effects to anything plugged into the 1/8" in Line In jack.

cuthbert
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Oldrottenhead

thats a bugger, i generally record my juno di to two tracks for stereo recordings, so 8 tracks is gonna be an advantage, so i can record 4 times before i have to bounce.

however, occassionaly i like to put the juno through the old br's effects, and i imagine the br80 will have a lot more stereo effects than the old br, only two are really useable 22 and 72, tho you can asign a tap delay to any signal.

also line in on the old br gave you access to mastering effects when recording is this no longer available, i can only record a dry input?

also i'm not quite clear, can i add effects afterwards on the br80 or am i only able to do that in  daw software. the reason i ask is i intend my br80 to  be at my side in all locations so i wont always have access to a daw, also i like to work quick so i can see this slowing things down.  i need quick as i am getting slower, if it takes too long to set up i forget what i was gonna do,

thats why i love my old br.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

Quote from: oldrottenhead on February 01, 2012, 01:22:47 PMthats a bugger, i generally record my juno di to two tracks for stereo recordings, so 8 tracks is gonna be an advantage, so i can record 4 times before i have to bounce.

This, for me, is one of the principal advantages of the BR-80 over the Micro BR - this, and support for up to a 32 GB SDHC.

Quote from: oldrottenhead on February 01, 2012, 01:22:47 PMhowever, occassionaly i like to put the juno through the old br's effects, and i imagine the br80 will have a lot more stereo effects than the old br, only two are really useable 22 and 72, tho you can asign a tap delay to any signal.

also line in on the old br gave you access to mastering effects when recording is this no longer available, i can only record a dry input?

More stereo effects, yes. But yeah, you can only record the 1/8" 3.5mm line in dry, and there's no way to add the COSM effects in the BR-80 - those work only with the guitar input and the built-in microphones.

Quote from: oldrottenhead on February 01, 2012, 01:22:47 PMalso i'm not quite clear, can i add effects afterwards on the br80 or am i only able to do that in  daw software. the reason i ask is i intend my br80 to  be at my side in all locations so i wont always have access to a daw, also i like to work quick so i can see this slowing things down.  i need quick as i am getting slower, if it takes too long to set up i forget what i was gonna do,

thats why i love my old br.

No way to add effects afterward in the BR-80 - they only can be recorded with the supported inputs. You can add effects to your tracks in your DAW of choice and then re-import them into the BR-80.

Hold on to that Micro BR if you want all-in-one box production! Or maybe Roland will update the firmware so you can do these things in the BR-80. Send them a bug/feature request!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Oldrottenhead

that is a downer. is the guitar in a mono input. and yeah i know if i connect the juno there it'll cause all sort of havoc, or is that what the we button underneath is for, the mic/guitar thingy. or is that for onboard mics. please tell me i can still add reverb to individual tracks.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

Quote from: oldrottenhead on February 01, 2012, 01:54:40 PMthat is a downer. is the guitar in a mono input. and yeah i know if i connect the juno there it'll cause all sort of havoc, or is that what the we button underneath is for, the mic/guitar thingy. or is that for onboard mics. please tell me i can still add reverb to individual tracks.

The mic/guitar thingy is for if you plug in a microphone with a 1/4" plug - it changes the input level from guitar to microphone (more boost for microphone - plug a guitar in with this switched on and everything sounds overdriven, and not in a good way).

One bit of good news for yah: you can have reverb adjustable to individual tracks, as well as EQ.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Geir

And you can always plug the keyboard in the guitar-input and then use stereo effects on it that way. I've done that on the 800 a couple of times, and the keyboard I recorded on "No birds, no wind" was done throught the guitar input and I think I forgot to turn the bass effect off after using that for the bass-track :D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

iluvchiclets

Quote from: cuthbert on February 01, 2012, 12:51:00 PMAll the COSM effects in the BR-80 are for input only (they can't be assigned to a track), which is a real limitation if you like to do all your production in the recorder. I don't often record with effects myself, but for stereo modulation effects I think yes, you'd have to record to a stereo pair of tracks to get the stereo effect. Otherwise I think the effect will be summed to mono, as there's no way a mono track can play back a stereo signal.

cuthbert

Thanks for taking the time to reply, cuthbert,

This will take some considering on my part...

Now that I think about it, all my effects are usually intact on my synthesizer (reverb, stereo drums, stereo piano) so it is unlikely that I will need any more effects.  However, I would like to normalize or limit my rhythm track so that it is not all over the place level-wise. 

Once my stereo rhythm track is on the BR-80, can I still send it through the mastering effects and save that mastered version to some virtual tracks?  And continue to add to other tracks while monitoring them?

Or is the mastering effect only used as a final step and no re-recording or bouncing is possible once it is applied?

The mastering effects look useful and might add a little polish to my keyboard playing...

...mind you, some say you can't put lipstick on a pig!  :D

Krasi

You can not bounce with effects and that is the major difference (dissadvantage) compared to the "older" MBR!!!

It is also the reason why I had to learn to do it using Sonar which is included when you buy BR-80

As for the effects on keyboard, Geir already mentioned the solution - don't use the line in, plug it into the guitar in and problem solved. Still recording dry and then applying effects on bounce is not possible.  >:(

Thanks
recorder
Boss BR-80

Oldrottenhead

on the old micro br, i never use any of my keyboards via the guitar input as thereis always distortion, so on the br 80 is there more control over  the input  levels via guitar input, and is it a stereo input.

another question.

can i assign guitar effects to the onboard mics like i can do on the old micro br?
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

Geir

Quote from: oldrottenhead on February 02, 2012, 04:06:16 AMcan i assign guitar effects to the onboard mics like i can do on the old micro br?
Indeed you can ! Even the guitar-to-bass effects giving you the opportunity to get that deep sexy voice  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........