Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

chip

Quote from: Bluesberry on December 28, 2011, 08:58:05 AMYes Chip, the drums are 100% easier and better on the BR-80 compared to the microBR.  The whole drum programming thing is far better.  Its as good as what I have on my BR-1200.  Definately a huge step up on the drum machine.  If all you need is 8 tracks, then the workflow would be very easy Chip.  Record into your tracks.  set levels and panning. master.  connect to the computer and find the WAV file.  drag it to your computer.  Use audacity to trim, fade out, etc and convert to mp3.  Done.  You will love it Chip.  The BR-80 is perfect for your needs.  The onborad mics are very good for recording acoustic instruments, easy, no fussing around.  The 8 tracks can be 8 mono tracks or 4 stereo tracks or any combination you need, easy as that.  It is a very good machine for the size and quite easy to use once you have used it once.  Go for it Chip, you will love it.  I am totally sold on the BR-80 now, it is exactly what i needed to get er done.

Cheers... You may have sold me Blue............ You can still record the vocals in mono, right? Only I seem to remember something going on about this aspect. The drums were a main bug bare for me, the mbr made life very difficult for me. I have got the hang of bouncing but it does take a load of fiddling about, fiddling I would rather do without. I feel the original can take to long in the fiddling department and does/can take the momento out of recording on the fly so to speak. I have been known to record a song, bounce then lose where I was and delete the lot in frustration.

The 8 tracks would do me plenty with mainly guitar based stuff. Having freed myself from the passing interest in keyboards/ synths etc the guitar, both electric and acoustic is king again, also I can add more vocals and use the harmony, pitch stuff too without the bouncing. Is that easy too?  I can get one for £175 as we speak. I can sell the mbr on ebay with some pedals I don't need, I may possibly sell some other stuff now the psychedelic period has been concluded ::) too.

Heck I may just sell all the lights, PA, Danelectro, mixing desks and pack up playing live so I can lie around the house recording whatever I want. That may be rather selfish though, no I couldn't do that, but the the new kid on the block has /had me hooked for some time , just a matter of time before I jump.

I have to be sure though and you lot are convincing me more and more each day. Keep going ;)
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

filo

Quote from: 64Guitars on December 27, 2011, 12:30:12 PMA better way to share patches is by simply listing all of the parameters of your patch as plain text in a message.
Is there any easy way how to convert list of preset's parameters to plain text? Or I have to use "handwriting" ?

Btw.. How Can I backup user presets? They are stored somewhere inside of BR, not on the SD card.

Thanks for answers.
Boss Micro BR-80

64Guitars

Quote from: filo on December 30, 2011, 12:36:57 AM
Quote from: 64Guitars on December 27, 2011, 12:30:12 PMA better way to share patches is by simply listing all of the parameters of your patch as plain text in a message.
Is there any easy way how to convert list of preset's parameters to plain text? Or I have to use "handwriting" ?

I wrote a program to do that but it currently only works with the original (discontinued) Micro BR. Perhaps one day I'll make a version for the BR-80. Until then, I'd suggest making an empty template for each of the BR-80's algorithms. You can then make a copy of the template and fill-in the settings for your patch. For example, here's a template for the E.GUITAR MULTI algorithm:

Compressor/Limiter
   Type:
   Sustain:
   Attack:
   Tone:
   Threshold:
   Release:
   Level:

Distortion
   Type:
   Drive:
   Bottom:
   Tone:
   E.Level:
   D.Level:

Amp
   Type:
   Gain:
   Bass:
   Middle:
   Treble:
   Presence:
   Level:
   Bright:
   Gain Sw:
   Sp Type:
   Mic Type:
   Mic Dis:
   Mic Pos:
   Mic Lev:
   D.Level:

Equalizer
   Low Cut:
   Low Gain:
   Low-Mid F:
   Low-Mid Q:
   Low-Mid G:
   Hi-Mid F:
   Hi-Mid Q:
   Hi-Mid G:
   High Gain:
   High Cut:
   Level:

Noise Suppressor
   Threshold:
   Release:

Modulation
   Mod Type:
      - Octave
         Range:
         Oct Level:
         D.Level:
      - Phaser
         Type:
         Rate:
         Depth:
         Manual:
         Resonance:
         Step Rate:
         E.Level:
         D.Level:
      - Flanger
         Rate:
         Depth:
         Manual:
         Resonance:
         Separation:
         E.Level:
         D.Level:
      - Tremolo
         Wave Shape:
         Rate:
         Depth:
      - Rotary
         Speed Sel:
         Rate-Slow:
         Rate-Fast:
         Rise Time:
         Fall Time:
         Depth:
      - Uni-v
         Rate:
         Depth:
         Level:
      - Pan
         Wave Shape:
         Rate:
         Depth:
      - Chorus
         Mode:
         Rate:
         Depth:
         Pre Delay:
         E.Level:

Delay
   Type:
   Dly Time:
   High Cut:
   E.Level:
   D.Level:
   Tap Time:

QuoteBtw.. How Can I backup user presets? They are stored somewhere inside of BR, not on the SD card.

Create a new, empty song and copy the user patches to the song bank. Then backup the song. To restore them later, restore the song then copy the patches from the song bank to the user bank.

Unfortunately, this can be a tedious job if you have many user patches because each one must be copied separately. The version 1.10 update for the BR-800 allows you to copy all of the user patches to the song bank (and vice-versa) in a single operation. I wish Roland would include that feature on all BRs. I don't know why they didn't include it in the BR-80 since it's newer than the BR-800.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

filo

64Guitars, thanks for your explanation.
I had an old MicroBR too and still have a backup of some songs ... effect data looks like a binary type with fixed structure (EFFECTS3.BR1), so your program (Micro BR Patch Documenter) can read data from this file and display them as readable text, am I right?  Structure of SONGFX01.BR0 from BR-80 looks similar, so should be not too difficult to improve your application. I'm a Delphi programmer too, so if you need a help with developing, I'm ready to participate, just send me a PM  ;)

Boss Micro BR-80

Hi, following previous comments about firmware updates on this thread, can anyone definitely confirm that you can actually now import odd time signatures into the BR-80? I play rock and jazz so 4/4 is a bit restrictive.

Thanks,
Dave.

64Guitars

Quote from: DaveS on January 02, 2012, 05:41:43 AMHi, following previous comments about firmware updates on this thread, can anyone definitely confirm that you can actually now import odd time signatures into the BR-80? I play rock and jazz so 4/4 is a bit restrictive.

I don't have a BR-80 so I can't confirm it first-hand. But Roland says the following about version 1.03 (which is included in the version 1.04 update).

The following bugs are fixed.

• Rhythms might not be able to be previewed.
  • Songs except four-quarter are imported as four-quarter.
  • The Rhythm might not be played after loading a song.
  • Changing the BEAT of a song in midstream of the Rhythm Progression misaligns the current playing location and the Measure indication.
  • It might not store the effect patch number lastly selected on MTR/eBAND mode.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=BR-80&id=62153330

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Thanks 64Guitars. I thought it was a bit vague when I saw it on their support page. I'm waiting for a reply from Roland. I'm hoping someone has actually used it themselves.

Thanks,
Dave.

Wim

Hello,
My Boss Micro BR-80 have the update 1.04
I have (stupid) formatted my SD-card.
Please can enyone tell me what steps I most do to make my SD-card oke.
I'am a beginner so please the full steps so I can fix my SD-card.
Thanks.........

filo

Press Menu > Function > SD Format ?
Boss Micro BR-80

Geir

Quote from: Wim on January 04, 2012, 04:39:00 AMHello,
My Boss Micro BR-80 have the update 1.04
I have (stupid) formatted my SD-card.
Please can enyone tell me what steps I most do to make my SD-card oke.
I'am a beginner so please the full steps so I can fix my SD-card.
Thanks.........
If you formatted the card without backing it up you can get the original content back by looking here:
https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=13438.0
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........