Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

64Guitars

The Roland Germany effects patches can also be installed using BR Song Librarian. Just unzip the appropriate zip file (below) for your recorder (BR-80 or BR-800) into the song library folder ("C:\Boss BR Songs" if you haven't changed it from the default) then load BR Song Librarian. You will see the folder "Sounds of Heroes (Roland Germany) - BR-80" (or BR-800) in your library. Click the "Copy to BR" button. You should now have a song on your BR called "SDH" which contains all of the Sounds of Heroes song patches.

BR-80:  Sounds of Heroes (Roland Germany) - BR-80.zip

BR-800:  Sounds of Heroes (Roland Germany) - BR-800.zip

Once the patches are on the BR, you might want to copy them from the song bank to the user bank so that they'll be available in any song. This is easy to do on the BR-800 with the version 1.10 update. Just use the new Effect Bank Copy feature. See page 1 of the version 1.10 addendum. But be careful if you already have user bank patches that you wish to keep. Copying all patches from the song bank to the user bank will overwrite existing user patches. So first copy them to the song bank of a new song and backup that song to your computer using BR Song Librarian. The user bank has space for 50 guitar patches. So, after you've copied the 30 Sounds of Heroes patches to the user bank, you can copy your own user patches back from the song in which you saved them into any of the remaining 20 user bank patches.

Unfortunately, there's no Effect Bank Copy feature on the BR-80, so each effect patch must be copied separately.

• Load the desired Sounds of Heroes effect patch and press [ENTER].
  • Select "WRITE/NAME" and press [ENTER].
  • If desired, edit the patch name and press [ENTER].
  • Use the Cursor Left button to place the cursor under the "S" in the patch number. Then turn the dial to change it to a "U" (user patch bank) and press [ENTER].

Repeat this procedure for each patch that you wish to copy into the user bank. Be careful not to overwrite any of your own user patches that you might have created. Of course, if you've never created any user bank patches before, you don't need to worry about it.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

strummer10

Thanks 64Guitars. This sounds very useful.

I hadn't considered that the patches are only applicable to one song at the moment, so
I will try saving them to user.

Does this mean (and please forgive my ignorance) that in effect, if I, or another forum member created an effect that they liked, they could share it with other BR80 owners? And, presumably, we could do this using the BR Song Librarian mentioned above?

64Guitars

Quote from: strummer10 on December 27, 2011, 12:07:48 PMDoes this mean (and please forgive my ignorance) that in effect, if I, or another forum member created an effect that they liked, they could share it with other BR80 owners? And, presumably, we could do this using the BR Song Librarian mentioned above?

You could, but I don't think it's practical for one or two patches because you're copying the entire patch bank each time and overwriting any existing patches. A better way to share patches is by simply listing all of the parameters of your patch as plain text in a message. Then other users can copy the settings to a patch in their own BR. This has three advantages:

• You don't have to copy the entire patch bank just for one or two patches.
  • It helps users to become more comfortable with patch editing. And that might encourage them to create their own patches and share them with other users.
  • The same settings can often be applied to a different BR model. For example, a BR-800 user might be able to use the settings of a BR-80 patch. This wouldn't be possible by sharing binary patch files directly because the files would only be compatible with the BR model on which they were created.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

strummer10

That makes sense. I especially agree with point 2. It's only through copying other people's patches (in text format) that I've started to understand effects like chorus etc (I'm still learning) and have been able to apply it to my Korg AX3000G.

While we're on the subject of creating fx patches, here's a hopefully helpful list of COSM software editors usable for the MICRO BR-80 and other Boss digital studios. As far as I know, unlike any of the factory Roland/Boss editors, you don't need to own the original hardware in order to access their patch parameters. For most, if not all of these editors, you can load patch data using sysex, midi, or native data formats...with all the individual module parameters visible and easily transferable over to the BR-80. This has become my new activity while watching TV in the evening, laptop & BR-80 at my side, spinning that data wheel & pressing me some buttons! Through the years, I've owned several pieces of Boss & Roland gear that have utilized COSM modeling and there is definitely a common shared architecture in the algorithms. Please be aware that some of the hardware processors utilize more than one channel and also have different fx chains & fx modules that are absent on the BR-80 (I especially miss Pitch Shift & Slow Gear). Because these hardware processors have been out for awhile, there are a ton of available patches which would serve as a fantastic starting point in creating your own fx library. Have fun!

ME-Edit: http://sourceforge.net/projects/me-edit/

Patch editor for the Boss ME-25 guitar multi effects.

GS-10 Manager: http://home.kpn.nl/f2hmjvandenberg281/gs10man.html

GS-10 Manager is an advanced editor/librarian for the BOSS GS-10.

GT Fx FloorBoard: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fxfloorboard/

Editors for the BOSS GT-3, GT-5, GT-6, GT-8, GT-Pro, and GT-10 Guitar Multi-Effects Processors, and the BOSS GT-6B and GT-10B Bass Multi-Effects Processors.

GP100pe: http://gp-100.cygnarowicz.com/patch_editor.php

Patch editor program for the Roland GP-100 Guitar Preamp/Processor.

VF-1 Editor: http://www.auralnebula.net/VF-1%20Editor/

GUI-based patch editor for the BOSS VF-1.

GT-8 Master: http://download.cnet.com/GT-8-Master/3000-2169_4-10761739.html

Patch editor for the BOSS GT-8.

chip

Just a simple question. BR80. Can you still master inside the machine as in the mbr and then connect to the computer to transfer to say audacity or even burning a cd straight without a daw?, or do you have to use the sonar stuff? This could be the deal breaker for me, what I want is the 8 tracks but the simplicity of the mbr if you get my drift  :-\
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Bluesberry

When you master in the BR-80 you get a WAV file.  You can't get a mp3 directly.  But is is not a big deal for me.  I master on the BR-80, hook up to my computer and inport the WAV into my I-tunes folder where all my music is kept.  Using I-tunes I convert the WAV to a mp3 real easy.  I don't find the fact that I can't get a mp3 directly out of the BR-80 to be a big deal at all.  You have to import to a computer eventually, and there are lots of programs to convert WAV to mp3 very easily without going into a DAW.  I don't see this as a deal breaker Chip.  Having the 8 tracks is really sweet.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

chip

Quote from: Bluesberry on December 28, 2011, 06:23:47 AMWhen you master in the BR-80 you get a WAV file.  You can't get a mp3 directly.  But is is not a big deal for me.  I master on the BR-80, hook up to my computer and inport the WAV into my I-tunes folder where all my music is kept.  Using I-tunes I convert the WAV to a mp3 real easy.  I don't find the fact that I can't get a mp3 directly out of the BR-80 to be a big deal at all.  You have to import to a computer eventually, and there are lots of programs to convert WAV to mp3 very easily without going into a DAW.  I don't see this as a deal breaker Chip.  Having the 8 tracks is really sweet.

So, you can do the same as the original but no mp3, not bothered about that mp3 stuff anyway. ie:Master, convert to wav, connect to the com, burn the disc or go to audacity ( which I like, cheers 64 for the recomend) just as I do with the original, right?. Also are the bloomin drums easier to figure out? Apoligies for these rather implistic questions but I need simple stuff. I like the mbr but the bouncing gets me goat and slows me up, plus a rather tiresome interface click, press, back again, forward, press, click then I get lost or forget what I was doing and the moments gone. Thats why the zoom r8 looks good but I reckon the BR80 would be better, smaller, 8 tracks ( all I need) and I now know more about boss products so the transition would not be ? so much of a hassle.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Oldrottenhead

i had a look at the zoom r8 alongside the br80, only advantage i see in the r8 is  the xlr mic inputs. the r8 is a lot bigger too about the size of the br800. oh and it has faders, but too me it had too many buttons , faders knobs etc that look as if they could break off quite easily and lots of places for dust to gather, looked very like my old fostex portastudio. whereas the br80 is about the same size as the micro br and looks very sleek and like the micro br very sturdy. my original br has been through the wars and is still going strong, but come january i'm getting a br80. local store retailing it at £179 sterling and are throwing in the charger too.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Yes Chip, the drums are 100% easier and better on the BR-80 compared to the microBR.  The whole drum programming thing is far better.  Its as good as what I have on my BR-1200.  Definately a huge step up on the drum machine.  If all you need is 8 tracks, then the workflow would be very easy Chip.  Record into your tracks.  set levels and panning. master.  connect to the computer and find the WAV file.  drag it to your computer.  Use audacity to trim, fade out, etc and convert to mp3.  Done.  You will love it Chip.  The BR-80 is perfect for your needs.  The onborad mics are very good for recording acoustic instruments, easy, no fussing around.  The 8 tracks can be 8 mono tracks or 4 stereo tracks or any combination you need, easy as that.  It is a very good machine for the size and quite easy to use once you have used it once.  Go for it Chip, you will love it.  I am totally sold on the BR-80 now, it is exactly what i needed to get er done.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand