Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

Hey BR-80 users,

I have a some questions, becase I couldn't find any info, and I'm not sure how it works.

In MTR mode - when I'm recording a track - is it played back (along with other tracks) in my headphones during I record? Can I mute the playback of what I'm recording right now (active track), and hear only other recorded tracks instead?

In MTR mode, when I'm recording - I assume I can set gains and stereo pans of just recorded tracks, arranging them for adding something new?
http://planetaziemia.net - independent research on sound and consciousness
http://conscious-sound.bandcamp.com - best sounds for extraordinary inner experiences

cuthbert

Yes, as long as there is a signal the input is audible while you record, and you can play or mute other tracks during playback. Not sure I understand: why would you want to mute the input while recording?

Are you asking if you can mix tracks while recording? I hadn't tried that myself - usually I don't have a free hand, or I'm using the built-in microphones and the handling noise would get recorded, which I wouldn't want. Maybe you could try it and let us know if it works?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Quote from: cuthbert on December 17, 2011, 08:47:15 AMYes, as long as there is a signal the input is audible while you record, and you can play or mute other tracks during playback. Not sure I understand: why would you want to mute the input while recording?

Are you asking if you can mix tracks while recording? I hadn't tried that myself - usually I don't have a free hand, or I'm using the built-in microphones and the handling noise would get recorded, which I wouldn't want. Maybe you could try it and let us know if it works?

I'd like to mute playback of input (not mute the signal that is recorded from that input). I'm working with vocals, you can check it here:
http://soundcloud.com/jkchris-explorers/sets/overtone-singing/

What I need is - to hear the pilot voices (MTR recorded), in order to tune myself to what I hear. So that I can take another track. Hearing what I vocalize right now - does not helps me.

Second thing I'd like to do (during my MTR session in-the-field) - is to arrange loudness and stereo pan of just recorded voices/tracks in order to make more space (not reverb; L/R localization) for another snapshot.

Generally BR-80 would serve me as a sonic sketchpad; I'm a field recording person, so raw tracks would be recorded to external mics/device (is good, but unfortunately it isn't multitrack), conected via line I/O cable to BR-80.

I'm planning to buy the MTR for my needs, I don't own yet one. BR-80 seems to be the right choice, after certain details are clarified.
http://conscious-sound.bandcamp.com - best sounds for extraordinary inner experiences

cuthbert

Quote from: ayamahambho on December 17, 2011, 12:33:50 PMI'd like to mute playback of input (not mute the signal that is recorded from that input). I'm working with vocals...

In other words (if I understand what you are asking), you want to record the input, hear the existing recorded tracks, but you don't want to hear the input while recording? There's no way to do that with the BR-80, and maybe none of the Boss BR series of recorders can do it? I know the original Micro BR can't. The monitoring features of these recorders are just not as sophisticated as standalone mixers.

Quote from: ayamahambho on December 17, 2011, 12:33:50 PMWhat I need is - to hear the pilot voices (MTR recorded), in order to tune myself to what I hear. So that I can take another track. Hearing what I vocalize right now - does not helps me.

Guess I'm just the opposite. If I can't hear my own voice, I find it very difficult to pitch it to other voices, or even to music. In fact, I've had trouble with this on the (few) open mic events in which I've participated. I must hear what I am singing. :)

Quote from: ayamahambho on December 17, 2011, 12:33:50 PMSecond thing I'd like to do (during my MTR session in-the-field) - is to arrange loudness and stereo pan of just recorded voices/tracks in order to make more space (not reverb; L/R localization) for another snapshot.

Generally BR-80 would serve me as a sonic sketchpad; I'm a field recording person, so raw tracks would be recorded to external mics/device (is good, but unfortunately it isn't multitrack), conected via line I/O cable to BR-80.

If I understand you correctly then yes, you can adjust the levels and the panning of both the input and the recorded tracks. Since I've never tried to change any of that while recording, I can't answer as to whether it's possible. Personally, it would be impossible for me as I usually play instruments with two hands, or am singing into the microphones being very careful not to produce any handling noises, which is just what adjusting levels/panning would while recording would do (if it is possible).

Maybe someone else who has used the BR-80 to record someone else and could chip in about whether or not this is possible?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Ouch! So there is no way on BR-80 to a) select input track for recording and b) mute it's playback volume before pressing the record button? I saw in manuals that there is "mute" function, that why I ask. I thought this is very basic function, because it works that way practically on any PC software.

When performing group overtoning, hearing the doubles on headphones is very confusing. It's not live anymore. Can someone confirm, that this feature is not possible on BR-80?

Yes, I meant to adjust the levels and stereo paning of just recorded tracks before starting to record the next track. Not while recording.

I even began to start thinking about some of the iOS devices, but I have no trust to apple gadgets. Too much confusions about compatibility of addons to ipod/iphone, and I'm not certain about the quality of these addons.

strummer10

I have just purchased the Micro BR80 as a replacement for my micro BR. I've promised not to use it until Xmas Day but have been allowed the manual! I can't see any reference to converting your finished work to mp3 on the Micro BR 80. You could do this on the Micro BR. Is this possible on the 80?

Tony W

You can't finish an MP3 on the BR-80. You'll have to export it, and finish it in the DAW of your choosing.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

strummer10

Forgive my ignorance but what is DAW? Bit annoying that can't convert to mp3 (bought new one as had problems converting on Micro BR) but I suppose you can convert easily enough on PC?

Oldrottenhead

a DAW is a digital audio workstation, like cubase or sonar. i am not 100% sure but i think sonar le comes with the br 80, tho it may be another daw software. and you can convert wav on pc without a daw there are plenty of mp3 converting software tools that will change a wav file to mp3.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

cuthbert

Quote from: strummer10 on December 19, 2011, 10:58:58 AMBit annoying that can't convert to mp3 (bought new one as had problems converting on Micro BR) but I suppose you can convert easily enough on PC?

You can convert a WAV to MP3 using iTunes, or for instance in the free DAW Audacity (for which you'll also need to install the LAME MP3 encoder). There are likely other free MP3 encoding options out there as well.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase