Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

cuthbert

The slide switch on the back - is it set to GTR, or MIC?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

cuthbert

Quote from: papepape on November 11, 2011, 05:23:01 PMTry with the system upgrade 1.04. It has a new range of guitar input sensitivity. From -12 instead of 0.

Whoa...there have been a couple of firmware upgrades at Roland's site. I'm going to download the latest and will update this thread.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

64Guitars

Here's what Roland says about the new software:

BR-80 System Program Version 1.04

Update history

[Version 1.04]
Bug Fix
The following bugs are fixed.

• The recorded data might have position gap after executing the "Song Optimize" operation in MTR mode.
  • The "THRESHOLD" parameter of the "Noise Suppressor" might be set to the false value when it was changed to an Effect Patch of Stereo-category.

[Version 1.03]
Functionality Improved

• Improved the compatibility with more types of SD cards by modified process for accessing SD cards.
  • Expanded the adjustable range of the Guitar's "Input Sens."
  • Improved the compatibility as USB Audio device.

Bug Fix
  • Rhythms might not be able to be previewed.
  • Songs except four-quarter are imported as four-quarter.
  • The Rhythm might not be played after loading a song.
  • Changing the BEAT of a song in midstream of the Rhythm Progression misaligns the current playing location and the Measure indication.
  • It might not store the effect patch number lastly selected on MTR/eBAND mode.

eBand Song List Editor Ver.1.01 for Windows
eBand Song List Editor Ver.1.01 for Mac

VERSION HISTORY
[ Ver.1.01 ]

Fixed the bug that it cannot export a song data recorded on the eBand mode of BR-80 as WAV format.

BR Series WAVE Converter Ver.3.11 for Mac

VERSION HISTORY
[ Ver.3.11 ]

Compatible with the OS X Lion (10.7).

Also, the BR-80 manual is now at revision 4. I don't know what has changed but I think all BR-80 users should download the new manual so we'll all be singing from the same hymn sheet.

The BR-80 Data List document has also been updated. It's now at revision 3.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

newi123

Try with the system upgrade 1.04. It has a new range of guitar input sensitivity. From -12 instead of 0.

Thanks - didn't know about that - will download! Had also suffered from a couple of the bugs they mention occasionally too............ guess I won't anymore!

The more I play around with the Br80 the more I like it - best bit of musical gear I've bought in ages. Actually bought a tech 21 GT2 to go with it but hardly using that, the guitar sounds are way better than I expected - as is the guitar to bass.

I am a happy camper. If this had only 1 xlr input I think it would be just about perfect :-)

Tony W

Jesus, I've been napping on the job!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bossmgk

Quote from: 64Guitars on November 11, 2011, 07:56:31 PMHere's what Roland says about the new software:

[Version 1.03]
Bug Fix

• Songs except four-quarter are imported as four-quarter.

Does it mean that now we can import SMF drum patterns at 3/4 (three-quarter) time signature?
Or at least can we have 3/4 loops now to jam with? (I found it missing 3/4 time signature in the drum loops, but I need it)

Thanks for posting this update!

cuthbert

Quote from: Bossmgk on November 15, 2011, 05:36:01 PMDoes it mean that now we can import SMF drum patterns at 3/4 (three-quarter) time signature?
Or at least can we have 3/4 loops now to jam with? (I found it missing 3/4 time signature in the drum loops, but I need it)

I believe it does - I've upgraded my firmware to 1.0.4, but haven't tried importing a non-4/4 SMF file yet.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bossmgk

Quote from: cuthbert on November 15, 2011, 06:01:03 PMI believe it does - I've upgraded my firmware to 1.0.4, but haven't tried importing a non-4/4 SMF file yet.

Thanks for reply!
Hope you're right! Please let us know if it is confirmed. I still don't dare to do update because it will/may  change all my settings, but for 3/4 and 6/8 I'll take the chance.  :-\

64Guitars

Quote from: Bossmgk on November 16, 2011, 11:47:37 AMI still don't dare to do update because it will/may  change all my settings, but for 3/4 and 6/8 I'll take the chance.  :-\

What settings? In multitrack mode, all of the settings are stored with the song on the SD card except for User bank patches. If you haven't yet saved any User bank patches, then you have nothing to worry about as long as you follow the update instructions carefully and use a blank SD card for the update. If you do have User bank patches, copy them to the Song bank before doing the update. They will then be saved on the SD card. After the update, you can copy the patches back from the Song bank to the User bank.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

newi123

Have you guys tried importing drum tracks?

I currently sketch out riffs using the inbuilt drums, but then for actually recording the song I build the drum pattern in EZ drummer on the pc, export the racks as audio and import it as audio tracks to the BR-80.

This means two things:

1) no issues at all with the time signatures of imported tracks
2) when I have tracked on the BR I can then (if I want) move the audio tracks to the PC and finish editing patterns / fills in EZ drummer (there doesn't seem to be an easy way to export the BR 80 rhythm track) as well as editing the BR80 recorded tracks.

Although the Br80 drums are ok - these days other drum samplers are way better - and boss gave us pc compatibility to  be able to do this stuff!