Micro BR-80

Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

cuthbert

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 13, 2011, 08:20:45 PMCakewalk has a few freebies available for SONAR X1 LE users here:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/reader.aspx/20090918

Including this cool looking synth:

I will have to look into this.  :)
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Tony W

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 13, 2011, 07:34:55 PM
Quote from: Tony W on July 13, 2011, 06:30:23 PMThis might piss some people off, but it's looking like you can't import an MP3 to the BR-80 and then copy it to a pair of tracks like the MBR. What a weird function to drop.

Load the MP3 in eBand mode and select it as the current song. Then switch to MTR mode and press MENU, TRACK EDIT, IMPORT. Use the cursor up/down buttons to select eBand CURRENT SONG as the SOURCE. Then select the destination tracks and press ENTER. Press ENTER again if you want it to start at 00:00:00.00. Press ENTER a couple more times and you're done.

I tested this with an MP3 and a WAV to no avail.

Here's the procedure I followed
1 connect BR-80 to PC
2 drag and drop an mp3 and a wav to the LIVREC folder (2mb/s transfer rate woot)
3 disconnect BR-80 from PC
4 Go into eBand mode
5 press [song] (TR1/2)
6 Scroll to LIVE REC and selected the .wav file (pressed enter to continue)

**The song is selected and plays at this point
7 go to MTR mode
8 press MENU
9 Select Track Edit (press enter)
10 Select WAV Import (clearly defines WAV press enter)
11 Source: eBand [current song] *at this point you have 2 options eBand or Live Rec
12 Arrow down to Destination [TR78 -V1] (press enter)
** at this point it should start importing the track, however I see !NO SONG with both MP3 and WAV

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Tony W on July 13, 2011, 08:37:31 PMHere's the procedure I followed
1 connect BR-80 to PC
2 drag and drop an mp3 and a wav to the LIVREC folder (2mb/s transfer rate woot)

The LIVEREC folder is for LIVEREC mode, not eBand mode. The JS folder is for eBand data (the standalone eBand product is the JS-8). However, I don't think you can just drag MP3s into this folder. I think you have to use the eBand Song List Editor software to transfer your MP3s.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

Wouldn't you have to convert the .mp3 or .wav to BR-80 format (using BR converter) to set it to a track?

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Quote from: BuleriaChk on July 13, 2011, 08:51:24 PMWouldn't you have to convert the .mp3 or .wav to BR-80 format (using BR converter) to set it to a track?

No. The BR-80 does the conversion as part of the Import process in MTR mode.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

A few more points I noticed:

1 connect BR-80 to PC

LIVEREC mode doesn't support MP3. It only supports WAV.

Quote3 disconnect BR-80 from PC
4 Go into eBand mode

Since the WAV file is in the LIVEREC folder, you need to go into LIVEREC mode, not eBand mode.

Quote5 press [song] (TR1/2)
6 Scroll to LIVE REC and selected the .wav file (pressed enter to continue)

In LIVEREC mode, simply turn the dial to select the song.

Quote**The song is selected and plays at this point
7 go to MTR mode
8 press MENU
9 Select Track Edit (press enter)
10 Select WAV Import (clearly defines WAV press enter)
11 Source: eBand [current song] *at this point you have 2 options eBand or Live Rec

Set the source to LIVEREC CURRENT SONG since that's the mode you're importing from.

If you use eBand mode instead, then you can import either WAV files or MP3 files using the eBand Song List Editor software. In that case, you'll need to go into eBand mode rather than LIVREC mode and select the MP3 or WAV file as the current song. Then go to MTR mode, TRACK IMPORT and set the source to eBand Current Song.

As I've described, you can import WAV files from either LIVEREC mode or eBand mode. But you can only import MP3 files from eBand mode.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 13, 2011, 09:09:30 PM
1 connect BR-80 to PC

I'm beginning to think I might be wrong about that. The manual says you can record to WAV or MP3 in LIVEREC mode, so it would make sense that you should be able to play MP3 files you've dragged there. I thought I'd read somewhere that you can only load WAV files in LIVEREC mode but it's looking like I might be mistaken.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony W

OK. Still no luck.

I left the original memory card in my lock box at work. I found all the cool downloads for the BR-80 here:

http://www.roland.com/products/en//_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=BR-80

Just to start fresh, I formatted the existing SD card.

Imported a .mp3 and a .wav with Song List Editor

checked both songs in eBand, both play fine.

Selected the .wav file in eBand

went to MTR mode

Menu/Track Edit/Import

Source: eBand Current Song
Dest:    TR78 - V1

No Song!

Same results with an MP3

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tony W

Quote from: 64Guitars on July 13, 2011, 09:17:13 PM
Quote from: 64Guitars on July 13, 2011, 09:09:30 PM
1 connect BR-80 to PC

I'm beginning to think I might be wrong about that. The manual says you can record to WAV or MP3 in LIVEREC mode, so it would make sense that you should be able to play MP3 files you've dragged there. I thought I'd read somewhere that you can only load WAV files in LIVEREC mode but it's looking like I might be mistaken.

I'm glad you were on top of that one. Page 105 led me to believe that I could drop the files into the LIVREC folder. I do know that when dragging and dropping files in there, you can play along with them.

QuoteLIVEREC folder
WAV/MP3 files used in LIVE REC mode
are saved in this folder. If you place
WAV/MP3 files from your computer in
this folder, you'll be able to play them
back on the BR-80.
You can also copy WAV/MP3 files created
on the BR-80 from the LIVEREC folder
to your computer. For details, refer to
"Exchanging Data with Your Computer"
(p. 106)

It just didn't provide a link to the preferred method.

It's important to note, that when importing .mp3's via eBand Song List Editor, You will not find an MP3 in the LIVREC folder.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Tony W on July 13, 2011, 09:28:01 PMIt's important to note, that when importing .mp3's via eBand Song List Editor, You will not find an MP3 in the LIVREC folder.

That's right. Like I said, eBand data is stored in the JS folder, not the LIVEREC folder. But even in the JS folder, you probably won't see your MP3 file. That's because it's probably converted to a different format and stored in a data file with a different name and extension.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website