Started by cuthbert, July 11, 2011, 04:54:59 PM

The Reverend 48

Thanks for the responses guys
Simon-
I'm in MTR
I lose the presence before I master it
I monitor through cans and Monitors
I'm using either a Boss ME-50
Or Pod X3 into the BR via line in then into out of the BR via line out into power monitors or cans
Dave
The recording wheel is definitely fully off
Tony
I sold my MBR :P

Hope this helps to identify the issue......
Should I set the input sens currently at 0db?????

simont

Quote from: The Reverend 48 on October 06, 2011, 05:51:00 AMHope this helps to identify the issue......
Should I set the input sens currently at 0db?????

The input sens does not control the line input.
 It only does the input levels for the 6.5mm input and internal mic sources.

Only other things I can think of are:-
Recording to mp3 rather than wav?
Volume issue somewhere. Speakers and cans on when recording but not on playback,or vise-versa .?
Reverb or eq on playback tracks?

recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Quote from: The Reverend 48 on October 05, 2011, 07:34:18 AMUnless senility has hit me overnight I seem to have a problem
 I set up my fx unit through line in and select my preferred tone
everything is OK till I record and play it back.....
somehow it looses its Edge/Presence on recording
I can then get some of back via EQ
but I don't understand why its not recording what I can hear going in......
Any Ideas gratfully received

Check your Reverb Sends (page 65). If the Input send is higher than the track send, it might sound more live while recording than it does on playback. But if the sends are the same, there should be no difference between recording and playback.

Are you recording to one track or two? If your effects are stereo, they won't sound as good when recorded in mono. If you're recording to two tracks (stereo), check your pan settings (page 64) to make sure one track is panned full left and the other is panned full right. If they're both panned to C00, then you're hearing them in mono rather than stereo on playback.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Gnasty

Quote from: The Reverend 48 on October 05, 2011, 07:34:18 AMUnless senility has hit me overnight I seem to have a problem
 I set up my fx unit through line in and select my preferred tone
everything is OK till I record and play it back.....
somehow it looses its Edge/Presence on recording
I can then get some of back via EQ
but I don't understand why its not recording what I can hear going in......
Any Ideas gratfully received

Actually i know the real answer to this question and one thing i figured out about the line in on the br-80.
It just simply sucks! I tried every way possible.

I just recently bought a new gadget and plugged it in the line in of the br-80. I had my input level all the way up and the recording level would not peak to where it needed to be. So I went back to the micro br and used it and it was 10 times better. Way better recording of tracks. I find this to be a major flaw in the br-80 unless i did something wrong which i doubt. And no the input sensitivity didn`t work either.

So unless i got a lemon here i recommend you keep your Mbr for that reason.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Tony W

Quote from: Gnasty on October 06, 2011, 09:00:48 AMActually i know the real answer to this question and one thing i figured out about the line in on the br-80.

I just recently bought a new gadget and plugged it in the line in of the br-80. I had my input level all the way up and the recording level would not peak to where it needed to be. So I went back to the micro br and used it and it was 10 times better. Way better recording of tracks. I find this to be a major flaw in the br-80 unless i did something wrong which i doubt. And no the input sensitivity didn`t work either.

OOFDA! I'll jump on it tonight LINE IN tonight. That scares the shit out of me. I used to use the Line IN all the time with my POD X3, but realized I've not used it on the BR-80 yet.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

simont

Quote from: Gnasty on October 06, 2011, 09:00:48 AMActually i know the real answer to this question and one thing i figured out about the line in on the br-80.

No, it's working as it should.
The Line in and USB in have no Input Sens, REC level, EQ ,or Reverb.
They are just Direct Ins.
If you need to record a hotter signal you must turn up the output of whatever is attached to the Line in or USB in.

recorder
Boss BR-80

Gnasty

Quote from: simont on October 06, 2011, 09:08:26 AMNo, it's working as it should.
If you need to record a hotter signal you must turn up the output of whatever is attached to the Line in or USB in.

Trust me i did do all that. The levels are mediocre for me. I guess you can bounce them higher but you shouldn`t have to IMO. Just more work to do.
And why is it i plug it in the Mbr and i don`t have to adjust anything? Actually, i have to turn the Mbr`s input level down. You think that if the br-80 is an upgrade i shouldn`t have that problem at all or stay the same. It`s a downgrade!

Like I said it does work , but just not to my liking.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Gnasty

Oh well, actually i won`t complain.

I can handle using the mbr still and it`s good to know it won`t collect dust!  :D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

simont

Quote from: Gnasty on October 06, 2011, 09:14:15 AM
Quote from: simont on October 06, 2011, 09:08:26 AMNo, it's working as it should.

Trust me i did do all that. The levels are mediocre for me. I guess you can bounce them higher but you shouldn`t have to IMO. Just more work to do.
And why is it i plug it in the Mbr and i don`t have to adjust anything? Actually, i have to turn the Mbr`s input level down. You think that if the br-80 is an upgrade i shouldn`t have that problem at all or stay the same. It`s a downgrade!

Like I said it does work , but just not to my liking.

Maybe I should have said "working as intended"   ;)
but I do agree, It would be nice to have a line in level control.

recorder
Boss BR-80

Krasi

It is strange but it works for me just as it did on the mbr.
My last two recordings were on both - mbr and br 80. On both I have used a Kaoss with exact same results (levels, quality etc)

Compared to the mbr though I have found other dissadvantages as not being able to access the mastering effects and fiddle with them when going to master a song. They seem to be just there as presets.

Similar thing for bouncing - I used to play with levels while the bouncing was going on - no chance anymore.

Another is not being able to monitor your singing whith effects on, while playing the recorded backing track.
You need to press record otherwise its not happening. Recently I found a sollution - if I go to input sensitivity screen while playing the recorded track all of a sudden the effects goes on?? So that's how I monitor without actually recording it. Yeeeee...

If I didn't have an option to monitor then honestly I would sell the thing.

Now an advantage to me is of course 8 tracks and Sonar!!! That thing opened up so much possibilities for me and the desire to  record more and explore the software.
recorder
Boss BR-80