is BR-800 good for recording keyboards?

Started by kc2ine, July 03, 2011, 08:48:55 PM

BuleriaChk

The BR-800 does not sync with daw software, since it has no MIDI clock.  I think that its' chip does have midi, so maybe Boss will implement it in the upgrade we're all waiting for.  However, modern DAW's do allow you to timestretch loops/samples to sync with midi tracks - it is a major PITA, and why Roland doesn't even implement a midi save in its software editor is beyond me.

That said, I'm evaluating NI's Maschine, and the first thing I tried to do was to import a SMF into what is supposed to be the world's best state of the art sequencer.  Guess what - no midi import - can't import from a .mid file on disk, let alone drag and drop it.  The only way to get your midi files is to actually record them from ANOTHER host DAW, (like Ableton Live).  And this device has been out several years now...

And of course, (like Boss) they don't tell you this in the advertising hype, but let you find it out for yourself as a 'gotcha'.

Not to mention Boss's absolute refusal to produce editors for its GT-series mfx's (and it has a really nice one for the GS-10).

Sorry for the rant, but this stuff is either boneheaded, or arcane marketing, or planned obsolescence....

Quote from: oldrottenhead on July 04, 2011, 10:53:32 AMdoes the br800 not sync with daw software? so you could then do your midi stuff on the daw software and import it to the br as a wav file? or am i just being stupid.

having had the privilege of seeing and being in the presence of geir's br800, i would have one in a minute if i had the spare cash, i am actually suprised it still works after me and a few of the guys drooling over it.

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

kc2ine

Quote from: BuleriaChk on July 04, 2011, 11:12:32 AMThe BR-800 does not sync with daw software, since it has no MIDI clock.  I think that its' chip does have midi, so maybe Boss will implement it in the upgrade we're all waiting for.  

how is that possible if BR-800 can be used with sonar as a interface?

recorder
Boss BR-800