What is your favorite Progressive Rock song ?

Started by Bluesberry, June 23, 2011, 06:12:39 AM

Bluesberry

Crimson, damn I forgot to mention Crimson in my OP, yes, now thats drumming, thanks for putting this one up, I may just listen to this the rest of the day.........................Bruford.......what a frigging monster he was/is............

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

cuthbert

Probably my first introduction to prog - 'A Farewell To Kings' by Rush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpsyrfoX8zw

I was a lad of 15 when I picked this up on vinyl (format of choice at the time) - the same year I got 'Never Mind the Bollocks'!  ;D  Anyway, this song (and album) sent me back and then forward through Rush's catalog, at least up to 'Permanent Waves'.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Bluesberry

^ nice choice Cuth, I have a very soft spot for Rush of this era, they did something similar for me, Rush was my gateway drug into the world of Prog.... it went from Rush to Genesis and Yes, to J.Tull, to Crimson..............on and on.  Thanks to Rush, and this same album.............not a bad drummer either.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

Crimson........Bruford.........yeah........I love the drumming in this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amBqI4t6JE0

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bluesberry

^ you are damn right Ween qualifies, they have a strong prog aspect running through them, they have done prog albums.  Thats a beauty....I consider this one proggy and flipping love it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnriPwC2ydM

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

gritter i think its included we had a big long discussion in the past, got very hot too  all about what qualified as prog rock.

in my opinion any music that is progressive ie pushes the envelope a bit further is prog rock, i got slated for calling the flaming lips prog rock but i stand by that .

zaireeka anyone.

a cd by flaming lips well 4 that you have to play at the same time on 4 seperate cd players.

not prog? c'mon.
so ween get my vote too.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Blooby

Quote from: henwrench on June 23, 2011, 07:57:41 AMI'm sure I heard a tune on the radio the other day that was the 'something' Trucks Band, but not Derek, but it sure sounded like his playing....any ideas? Isn't he in another band with his mrs?

henwrench

Derek had a band for a bit with his wife called the Soul Stew Revival.  They would play festivals mostly but never released an album.  I'm oversimplifying, but it was mostly Derek's band with his wife on vocals.

Last year, they decided to start a band from the ground up, beginning with Oteil Burbridge on bass and his brother Kofi on keys and flute (two of my favorite musicians). This has morphed into the Tedeschi-Trucks band with eleven members.  I believe the instrumentation is Susan on vocals and occasional guitar, Derek on guitar, bass, keys, two drummers, three horn players, and two male background vocalists.  It is steeped in vintage soul and some funk (more on the Stevie Wonder side of things rather than James Brown).  They released a disc a couple weeks ago (Revelator), and the more I listen to it, the more I like it.  It doesn't hit you over the head like some of the Derek Trucks stuff, but damn, is it musical.  Lot of integrity in there.

They kick it up several notches live.  I saw them on New Year's Eve and again at this year's Wanee Festival. Good stuff.

Blooby

ODH

Not sure about favorite - I'd have to give that some thought - but I'm listening to Watcher of the Skies (Genesis) a lot right now
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Gritter

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 23, 2011, 09:44:51 AMthis is not the thread for arguing over what constitutes Progressive rock, this is the thread for displaying what song is your favorite prog rock song, in whatever way you understand prog rock..........stick to the topic at hand, we want no more threads ruined by posting stuff that has nothing to do with the topic at hand...........come on people, we have a forum to run over here........ ;D

To me, being deemed Prog Rock carries a stigma. Makes you sound like a dinosaur from the 70's trying to outdo your peer group of musicians. But maybe that's just my Vancouver Eastside underground punk rock, indie roots talking. Sorry BB, but it's made me who I am and I...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD0xeHKAPOA