What is your favorite Progressive Rock song ?

Started by Bluesberry, June 23, 2011, 06:12:39 AM

Bluesberry

Since I have gotten my E-drums and have been listening to the drumming in songs a lot more, I have been going back to all my favorite prog rock bands and listening to a lot of Yes, Genesis, J.Tull. Gentle Giant, VDGG, Rush, Pink Floyd, ELO, Marillion, Spock's beard, The Strawbs, Wishbone Ash.....etc, really listening to the drumming, for what seems like the first time in my life.  Out of all this listening for the last 3 months, one song keeps coming up, the one song that everytime I listen to it I can't believe how much i love it.  I am on a huge Bruford/Yes  and Collins/Genesis kick right now (probably can hear this influence on my lastest collab with ORH, I was trying to imagine I was Bruford ...lol, I love his drumming the best, with Collins coming in a close second, oh Yeah, that Barriemore Barlow guy is up there too)..........but I digress........

......onto the question at hand.......what is your favorite Progressive rock song?  Not talking about what band, or what album, what song........for me, for my money, this is my favorite Prog rock song........that into grabs me everytime, and the ending gives me a shiver up my back everytime I hear it.  Yes were an extremely talented band, and they were firing on ALL cylinders for this one....IMO they kind of lost their way after Bruford left, but those early Bruford albums, well, I am re-discovering them, and this song is the standout for me.  You put this on maximum volume and it just blows your mind clear into tomorrow, does for me anyway.  "Heart of the Sunrise", by Yes, my favorite Progressive Rock song of all time.........what is yours?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsRdT9hwqGs

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

great choice bb, my aunt and uncle and cousins emigrated to australia, went on a big cruise ship, and i had just bought that album, so that song reminds me of them and thinking of their voyage into the great blue yonder, gonna have a listen, then a think about my fave prog song.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

this has gotta be mine and features my favourite drummer check this guy out bb. plus its so long it needs two posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzoaWrRYg98

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgPIHu10QxY
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Oh yeah, I had a feeling it was going to be this one or something similar by VDGG!!!!!!!! Great choice, and yes, fantastic drummer, that singer ain't too bad either.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

henwrench

ELP 'Fanfare for the Common Man'.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

henwrench

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 23, 2011, 06:46:52 AMNice one Hen, got any vids of that one?

I ain't looked to be honest.... I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I can never seem to post YouTube stuff. It always comes up as an Invalid Link!!

I'll have a look anyway....

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR

henwrench

recorder
Boss Micro BR