Has anyone used a Boss BR unit as an audio interface?

Started by rich2k4, June 22, 2011, 07:53:52 PM

rich2k4

using the line out into a computer to use software like guitar rig?

is it possible to use both line out and line in at the same time?

Greeny

It's a good thought, but I've never tried it. I'd be scared to try it without getting some info on whether it would fry the MBR or computer though. I guess that's why you're asking, lol.

I'm sure someone will know?

henwrench

Quote from: rich2k4 on June 22, 2011, 07:53:52 PMusing the line out into a computer to use software like guitar rig?

is it possible to use both line out and line in at the same time?

I don't know about using the BR as you enquire, but I don't see why not. Mainly because the only way you're ever gonna hear what you're doing is by using the line out and line in at the same time. Think about it.... plug in guitar (line in), put headphones on or hook the BR to a monitor system (line out).

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: rich2k4 on June 22, 2011, 07:53:52 PMusing the line out into a computer to use software like guitar rig?

You can do that. But make sure you connect to your sound card's Line In rather than the Mic input. The mic input is usually pink and often located on the front of a desktop computer. This is a handy location for connecting a microphone but it's too sensitive for a BR. Instead, look at your sound card's connectors on the back of the computer (assuming it's a desktop PC). The Line In is often blue, though not always. Check your sound card's documentation to determine which connector is Line In. If you can't find the documentation that came with it, look online. It's usually not hard to find if you know the make and model of your sound card.

Here's an example of the connectors on a popular sound card:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/acc/r45590/en/connect.htm

Once everything's connected, you might have to change some software settings in your music app or operating system to tell it to use the Line In. It will probably default to mic or none.

Quoteis it possible to use both line out and line in at the same time?

Yes, but the BR's output isn't just the guitar (or whatever input is selected). It's basically the output of the BR's mixer section which includes all of the tracks and the drum machine. Obviously, you don't want to process all of that through Guitar Rig. So if the reason you want to use Line Out and Line In at the same time is to record your Guitar Rig processed guitar on the BR, it won't work. The only way to get just the guitar signal on the BR's output is to mute all of the tracks and the drum machine. That's fine if you just want to play your guitar through Guitar Rig or record it in a software DAW, but it's no good if you want to make multitrack recordings on the BR because you won't be able to hear the other tracks and drum machine while you're recording. So any multitrack recording will have to be done on the computer instead. You can always import the finished tracks from your DAW into the BR later for further recording or mixing if you don't want to do that on the computer.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

guitarron

absolutely you can
Quote from: rich2k4 on June 22, 2011, 07:53:52 PMis it possible to use both line out and line in at the same time?
yes sort of- if your recording a track using the br-
i use line in for keys lets say-then line out to monitor- i do this all the
time-you could also record to the pc as well i guess-
when the line in source IS th pc then back to the br line in- then back out to the pc(i've done this unintentionally) i got a nasty feedback loop

to be clear-an "audio interface" is a device -usually usb or firewire such as moto traveler, ultralte or sound card-that converts analog signals-guitars and mics for eg. to digital -to record directly to your pc digitally

in the first example -guitar to br to pc -is using the br as a sound processor-that line out is being plugged into the pc's audio interface

it's ok to experiment-but be careful-turn your monitor volumes down in case it starts to feedback

hope this helps

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder