Minor board reorganization and Songcrafters' philosophy/direction.

Started by 64Guitars, June 15, 2011, 08:11:30 PM

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: 64Guitars on June 22, 2011, 02:55:11 PM
QuoteWhat about that Collabs in general are not a Post Your Work board? Since it is a board to discuss and set up collaborations in order to get a final version posted under the qualifying (original or cover) board. Also, since to the only reason to post lyrics is for feedback or to find a collab, do lyrics necessarily qualify as a "Post Your Work"? Lyrics without music is just poetry... nothing wrong with that mind you. Just thought it could be condensed is all.

When I first read that, I thought you might be right. Discussions belong in the General Discussion category, not Post Your Work. But then I realized that discussion is not enough if you've written an original song and you want to collaborate. Just saying, for example, "I've written a song and need someone to do the vocals. Anyone interested?" would not be enough. You'd need to post a recording of what you've done so far so that people can decide whether they're interested or not. So I think collaborations still belong in Post Your Work because they will often have recordings attached.

I guess it just depends on how you read it. When I read Post Your Work, I think of finished work. But I can see how to some in would include In Process work.

Bluesberry

And don't forget about Andy's distinction between songs and recordings.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: Bluesberry on June 22, 2011, 03:07:13 PMAnd don't forget about Andy's distinction between songs and recordings.

Yes, I agree that "recordings" is a better word and I'll try to remember to use it from now on. But I want to point out that the names we choose can easily be changed at any time with no consequences to the messages or links. So I don't want to get too hung up on names right now. They're very important, but the need to find the right name isn't urgent. If we choose a crappy name initially, there will be plenty of time to change it to a better one after the boards are set up. I'm more concerned about deciding what the content of each board should be and possibly the hierarchy (multiple categories or just one). So consider any names mentioned in this topic as only for reference and let's concentrate on what types of posts should go in each board.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

guitarron

Quote from: guitarron on June 20, 2011, 08:14:43 PMoh and the loops thing-
i see where the distinction with biab type midi tracks/loops-in my earlier post i was referring to audio loops-
loops are another instrument these days-creative use of loops is songwriting too- maybe not in the traditional way, but it is certainly part of the craft these days.
 as long as they are legal and/or created by the song crafter they are ok

looping is form of expression just as performing is

as long as it not some cheesy, hit the button and let the machine do all the work to make your arrangement king of thing

i feel like the whole loops issue has been ignored

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: guitarron on June 22, 2011, 03:32:45 PM
Quote from: guitarron on June 20, 2011, 08:14:43 PMoh and the loops thing-
i see where the distinction with biab type midi tracks/loops-in my earlier post i was referring to audio loops-
loops are another instrument these days-creative use of loops is songwriting too- maybe not in the traditional way, but it is certainly part of the craft these days.
 as long as they are legal and/or created by the song crafter they are ok

crafting is form of expression just as performing is

as long as it not some cheesy, hit the button and let the machine do all the work to make your arrangement king of thing

i feel like the whole loops issue has been ignored

I think because we never made any headway with backers. So, it got lumped in with it. That's my guess at least.

Geir

Quote from: Saijinn on June 22, 2011, 09:54:37 AMI wish a lot of regulars weren't so obviously trying to avoid being a part of this discussion. No matter which side they fall on, I think it would go a long way to better clarify whether or not it really is the majority who would prefer that the member only content be separated from the non-member only content.
I could answer pretty much the same as Tim did to this. For me personally, the changes doesn't really matter. Tho I may have some more posts than Tim that falls outside the "member-only" (or DIO as BB called it, .. I like that one Dave) it doesn't really matter. I have this wonderful place to come to and post my work and listen to other middle-aged men do the same ;D ;D And I really try not to discriminate any board. I use the "Since Last Visit" & "New Replies" links on top of the pages (and so do most of the regulars I think, judging from the times I look at "who's online"), so I don't really use the boards much.

I would like to say tho', that even if it's been a while since I did anything over a backer, I do see the value of have a place to post that kind of music. One of the main reasons is that it is a good way to start. I remember when I started here I was lucky that it coinsided with the first bluesfest. It gave me the opportunity to get a few songs posted that sounded good, and that I got kind feedback on. It helped me in overcoming the fear of posting a complete original.

One last comment ... I don't really think the comments on any category music will change much due to this reorganisation, most people comment on what they want anyway.

PS. a little more statistics for you Saijinn: about 25% of the comments on backers was made by the 5 most active posters (and we're mostly originals and some covers guys ;) )
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

Quoteand listen to other middle-aged men do the same
i take great offence at this geir you know i am a boy at heart
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Geir

Quote from: oldmariahcareyhead on June 22, 2011, 05:24:22 PM
Quoteand listen to other middle-aged men do the same
i take great offence at this geir you know i am a boy at heart
get ta yer bed ole man
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity