Minor board reorganization and Songcrafters' philosophy/direction.

Started by 64Guitars, June 15, 2011, 08:11:30 PM

AndyR

Just waded through everything since I first posted. There's some fine thoughts and posts in here.

I have some of the same reservations as Sai and others. All in all, though, I get what the idea is and don't object at all to the proposals as they've been explained so far.

My only reason for posting now is that I suddenly realised it might be helpful for me, as a member, to make a few statements about how I think/feel about the site. This is just a brain-dump of how I feel and use it, I've no issue with people thinking differently and using the site differently.

- Whether I like it or not, I am a songwriter, always have been. I like this site because it's an outlet for me when I get round to recording songs.

- I'm a musician and arranger, I like showing off what I can do. I also like (when I get time) hearing other people showing what they can do. I also like hearing potential and helping others to reach that potential.

- I like creating stuff, and discovering BR recorders means I can create complete stuff.

- I personally have absolutely no desire at all to collaborate, especially on stuff I write myself. I have a complete vision every time, and other people's ideas don't usually fit that vision (at the moment I'm reworking various songs that I was very fond of, but were changed by the members of the bands I was in because they thought their parts were boring). There is definitely a place for collaboration, it results in some amazing things that I couldn't do on my own, but I don't have the time to do what I really want to do, so I'm personally not interested in seeking out collaboration at the moment. Sometimes I get dragged into it by accident, and it's always been a complete pleasure, but it's not something I'm coming here for.

- I don't actually regard this site as a songwriting site myself. It wasn't when I joined, and the name change to songcrafters worried me slightly. Obviously, I fit in OK because I write songs and I sing, but there's a lot of talented people who don't do either of these. I regard the site as a place where folks who are trying to make recordings can post their stuff, share their ideas and their creativity. I suppose I see it as "home creativity" site, where the creativity is focussed around capturing sound, not songwriting especially, nor even being a musician, but those obviously are intimately tied up in it. For this reason I would see a member, for example, who does not play at all but records others (in a home recording fashion) to be just as important as I am - and I would therefore feel a bit odd about them not being able to post in a board that embodies a "spirit of songcrafters". BUT, with the restructure, they would have somewhere to post, so it's not a huge problem for me (see my last point though...).

- I like the covers, backer-tracks, all of it (when I get round to prowling at all) - it's all an expression of someone's creativity, I love it all. And I personally have no problem with stuff pushing my contributions down any board. If I don't get the attention I crave, I just need to do two things - a) actually create some new recordings(!) and, possibly more important, b) try and find more time to listen to and comment on other people's stuff. So I don't personally see a need for separating out different strands of what we do. I'd be happy posting my originals and covers all in one place, competing with backers, people's first tentative steps in recording, whatever. But I do see the reasons for separation and I fully support the separation.

- (This last one might be contentious and not what the admin guys are expecting) Am I the only songwriter/performer on here who is, at the moment, leaning towards posting all of his/her "diy" stuff in the proposed General board because I regard it as more of a challenge. I personally would rather put my output somewhere where anyone can put stuff instead of in a board that I might feel is slightly too "exclusive" for me personally (even if I qualify)?

Anyway - I've got to get my missus some food... I just posted these musings because I've realised that 64 and all are trying to get a feel for what we think and our aspirations are, etc...

I'll happily go with whatever you guys decide on - you're doing a fine job :)

(Btw 64G - I'm really looking forward to this song database thing, especially because (since I moved my recordings offsite) I seem to get a lot less bumps on here! :D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Geir

Quote(Btw 64G - I'm really looking forward to this song database thing, especially because (since I moved my recordings offsite) I seem to get a lot less bumps on here! )
that's the slickest bump-bait I've seen in a long time ;D

one bump coming up !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

OsCKilO

I vote for more boobs!

Or a new section for "Lady Banjos!".....

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

launched

"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

OsCKilO

And the next festival should be Acoustic Justin Bieber covers!

That will get us recognition from today's listeners!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

launched

Actually, we should dedicate the site to Justin Beiber. Or maybe just his hair...
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover