Getting BR drums onto pc as midi?

Started by rich2k4, June 11, 2011, 09:31:49 PM

rich2k4

so say i arrange drums on the BR 864 the way i like them for the tune.  Is there any way to export this as midi information so that i can apply drum VST's to it to make it sound more realistic?

The BR-864 has a Midi Out port. Is it possible to use a midi-to-usb cable, plug the BR into the computer, open up garage band and start a new midi track, turn off the other instruments on the recording and just start playing the drums on the BR? Will garage band pick up the information as midi?

64Guitars

Yes. The BR-864 outputs the drum machine midi data on channel 10 unless you've changed it. See pages 141 and 142 of the BR-864 owner's manual. Just make sure your DAW is receiving on channel 10 and it should work just fine.

You can also route the output of your audio interface or sound card into the BR-864's Line In jacks so that you can mix your audio tracks and VST drums without actually sequencing the drums or recording them to separate tracks. In other words, you don't have to record a midi track in GarageBand. Instead, you just trigger its VST instruments with the midi data from the BR and route the sound back into the BR's Line In.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig