All V-Tracks empty after Track copy

Started by FG, December 12, 2008, 04:00:28 AM

FG

Hi,
this is quite strange...

I know for sure I lost everything but this is not a problem, I was experimenting and I don't care about the content.

Anyway, it's just for you to know what it happened to me.

I recorded few V-Tracks and I was trying to copy one specific V-Track (with Time option) onto another V-Track.

After the copy process finished I checked if the new V-Track was full and with my surprise it was empty, the other V-Tracks were still there.

Infact I tried to copy again 3 or 4 times with no results.

After the last temptative I discovered that all the V-Tracks were shown without data inside (empty square) and I was not able to listen any V-Tracks.

The info of the song says its size is 70 Mb.
I tried with BR Wave Converter but it shows everything empty so nothing can be exported, while the Track Usage of BR Explorer shows that T1-V1, T1-V2, T2-V1, T2-V2, T3-V1, T3-V2 are full (green color).

Tried to find in the forum if something similar happened to you but I was not able to find evidence of this.

A last detail I can add is that when the copy finished the measure were filled in with asterisks (stars)...

Comments?

Thanks

FG

64Guitars

Quote from: FG on December 12, 2008, 04:00:28 AMI tried with BR Wave Converter but it shows everything empty so nothing can be exported, while the Track Usage of BR Explorer shows that T1-V1, T1-V2, T2-V1, T2-V2, T3-V1, T3-V2 are full (green color).

Unlike BR Wave Converter, BR Explorer's Track Usage page isn't able to distinguish between tracks that contain data and tracks that once contained data but have since been erased. So, it would seem that your tracks have somehow been erased since they no longer appear in BR Wave Converter.

QuoteThe info of the song says its size is 70 Mb.

That's to be expected. Erased data isn't purged from the files until you do a Song Optimize. Until then, it will still occupy the same amount of space, but it won't be accessible except for one level of Undo. Have you tried Undo? If the last operation you performed was what caused the tracks to disappear, then Undo should bring them back. However, if you've performed other operations since then, you won't be able to recover the erased tracks.

QuoteI was experimenting and I don't care about the content.

A wise way to learn about your BR. It seems to me that most BR users don't try many of the BR's features until they need them in the final stages of recording their masterpiece. Then they make the inevitable mistakes from lack of familiarity with the procedures and ruin their hard work. It's much better to experiment frequently with unfamiliar features in a throw-away song until you understand them and feel confident that you know how to use them correctly before using those features in your keeper songs. And even then, it's wise to make backups of your songs before doing any track editing. Better to be safe than sorry.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

hardlock

I've had similar problems.  A tip after recording a keeper track is to export it to MP3 as a backup as 64guitars has mentioned in other posts. 

Also after recording a lot of tracks and before attempting ANY editing is to simply copy the song and work on the copy.  (I backup to the computer at this point as well)

That way when editing if a track gets corrupt (my theory as to the disappearing or incomplete/mangled tracks after editing) you have a fresh song and tracks to work from.

Also I believe that if you have stereo tracks recorded there can be problems copying, erasing, moving etc. single tracks from them.  Seems to be okay if you first un-link the tracks from each other (ie- 3=4 -> 3 4) do the editing then relink them.

Wonder if Boss will ever update their firmware.  I'm sure there's some bugs they must be aware of by now. ???
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure