Keeping the fullness

Started by rich2k4, June 08, 2011, 11:29:09 PM

rich2k4

i noticed using headphones with the boss recording units produces very fat tones, but then when you transfer the files on to the computer, everything is thinned out, and not as it sounded when on the unit.

what do you guys do to fatten up the tracks that are exported into the computer.

SdC

The only cause for what you describe that I can think of, is that when you don't change the default Loop effect settings, you are hearing everything you play on the BR with 10% Reverb, but the tracks are recorded dry. So if you export raw tracks without mastering, the reverb is not in the exported track.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Greeny

Quote from: rich2k4 on June 08, 2011, 11:29:09 PMi noticed using headphones with the boss recording units produces very fat tones, but then when you transfer the files on to the computer, everything is thinned out, and not as it sounded when on the unit.

what do you guys do to fatten up the tracks that are exported into the computer.

I know exactly what you mean. My bass notes sound much fatter and more dynamic on the MBR than they do once I've transferred the mp3 to a computer (even after full mastering to mp3). There's often a strange shift in the range / volume of other instruments in the mix too. My acoustic guitar layers can sound a bit tinny on the MBR, but turn out very lush and natural when I listen back on another device.

I'm not sure what you can do about it though. I've learned to compensate for these changes - especially on the bass side of things - by making my bass pretty loud when I mix down on the MBR. It then seems to be at the right level when I listen back to the mp3 on another device. And I already know the acoustic guitar tones are going to turn out just fine all by themselves.

I'm guessing that the MBR has a particular dynamic range that's a bit different to other players. I don't know about stuff like that though, lol.

AndyR

I'm guessing it's the digital-audio converters.

A while back, I figured out why I much prefer using a Boss standalone for recording/mixing, rather than my Cakewalk stuff on PC. I've NEVER been able to get a decent mix on a PC.

There are other differences between the two, obviously (the programs/algorithms used for reverbs, compression, etc), but the biggest difference is probably in the digital-audio converters, the "soundcard" part of either system. If Boss have any sense, they'll have put a LOT of effort into the audio interface in a dedicated home recording unit, and into how they've integrated it with the unit - so I guess our Boss units have a lot better soundcard/audio-interface than most of us can be bothered to acquire for our PCs.

Probably, if I bought a decent audio interface rather than the cheapie thing I did buy, I could get as good out of a PC. But I've kind of got used to Boss's way of doing things.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

i'm sure there is a thread on this very subject, particularly on mastering. something along the lines that you shouldnt really master on headphones as it will not sound as good played back as well on other equipment. apperently it is best to master on mid range speakers and if mix sounds good on them it should sound good on anything, car stereo , hifi, pc or whatever.

i have a bad habit of mastering stuff on headphones and then when i play song on car stereo on a cd it doesnt sound as good as when played back on my mp3 with headphones. problem is getting to master using speakers and not annoying the rest of the household, but wheni do master with a pair of cheap powered pc speakers i get far better results and when song is burned to cd it sounds good on any system.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

AndyR

Aah! I misunderstood - you guys are talking about the difference between headphones/speakers? Yep, that's always a problem.

I always master with a mixture of headphones/speakers on the MBR or on the BR1600. I always used to mix the same way and still do sometimes on a tricky bounce or final mix.

However, I have kind of got used to how my headphones work, and increasingly I find myself not bothering with plugging the BR into the monitors and I don't get too much trouble. Having said that, the next one I do will be so long after the last one - I've probably gotten out of practice.

When I'm in the swing of it, I seem to judge bottom-end like bass etc quite well. The biggest problem I find is getting the reverb right. A general rule of thumb (allegedly!) is that you need more reverb in headphones to get a tune sounding "atmospheric", "live", or whatever it is you're after. Basically, when you listen via speakers, the song picks up a bunch of room reflections that con you into thinking they're on the recording. So, unless you have a very fancy "dead" room to do it in, mixing/mastering on headphones or speakers exclusively without reference to the other is kinda taking a chance.

But, I'll stand by what I said on the audio interfaces. If I've recorded on the BR, I want to mix/master on the BR - taking the same tracks and doing it on my PC instead ends up far inferior! I belive that the biggest difference is the entry level audio interface I bought for the PC several years ago.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Geir

QuoteBut, I'll stand by what I said on the audio interfaces.
I agree, even if you use the same listening equipment it sounds better with the mbr. There is also an issue with the mp3-decoder. I guess the one in the mbr is quite good, because playing the finished mastered mp3-file on the mbr sounds better than (many) mp3-players, computerbased or standalone. The piPod sounds rather good tho.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........