BR-864 bass sim

Started by rich2k4, May 25, 2011, 10:13:28 PM

rich2k4

whenever i use the bass sim i get a weird warbling effect when playing notes sometimes.  is this just a general drawback from using the bass sim?

does this still happen when using a real bass?

64Guitars

Quote from: rich2k4 on May 25, 2011, 10:13:28 PMwhenever i use the bass sim i get a weird warbling effect when playing notes sometimes.  is this just a general drawback from using the bass sim?

Yeah, mine does that too. I think it's a side effect of the pitch shifting which is required to make a guitar sound like a bass.

Quotedoes this still happen when using a real bass?

No. When using a real bass, you don't use the bass sim patches (76-80). Instead, you use the patches that are designed for an actual bass guitar (86-99). These don't do any pitch shifting so there's no warble. They just use bass amp models (Ampeg and Acoustic) and effects.

If you don't have a bass guitar and you're not ready to buy one, you might want to try using Audacity to change the octave instead of the BR-864's bass simulator. I find it works pretty good. See this message for an example:

https://songcrafters.org/community/index.php?topic=5898.msg73863#msg73863

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

Geir

I've had the same experience too sometimes. It can be minimized by cutting off some high-end tones and by not playing too hard. In my experience I generally avoid the warbling effect if I use my fingers instead of a pick.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

SdC

Quote from: Geir on May 30, 2011, 07:31:23 AMI've had the same experience too sometimes. It can be minimized by cutting off some high-end tones and by not playing too hard. In my experience I generally avoid the warbling effect if I use my fingers instead of a pick.
and using the neck pickup.

recorder
Boss BR-600