The new bass what I just ordered

Started by ODH, May 19, 2011, 05:46:48 AM

ODH

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Squier-Vintage-Modified-Jaguar-Bass-Guitar~ID~13833.asp

After months of deliberating I have become attached to this Squier Jaguar, just placed the order.  Haven't played one yet, but just look at it...
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

dasilvasings

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Flash Harry

Ooh Sweet!.

I've not played a Jag bass either, but I have played a Jag 6 string, and I have played Strats and Teles.

I like the Jag because of the very deep cutaway. I would get one if I had the cash.

That looks like a useful pickup configuration too. I look forward to hearing it
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Geir

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

AndyR

Nice one :)

I was doing a bunch of "bass deliberating" over the last few months as well. And I was vaguely considering these... (got something else in the end though :D)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

ODH

Arrived yesterday morning, had a quick fiddle with it yesterday.  Seems to have been setup although a couple of tweaks may be necessary.  Get to use it in anger tonight...

Quote from: AndyR on May 23, 2011, 11:32:09 AM(got something else in the end though :D)
Go on, what was it?

AndyR

I surprised myself greatly and got a short-scale bass!

I went for a Gibson Faded SG Bass. I quite like the faded series, and I have an SG six-string aleady.

I've been using a Variax bass for ages, and got a Stagg Electric Double Bass for a laugh a while back. The EDB has put me back into "bassist" mode and I fancied getting a passive bass guitar for "strap it on and play" duties - I always need to dig out the power supply etc for the Variax.

I was looking at Jazz basses, possibly Precision. I was definitely thinking Fender Roadworn because I have two RW strats. But the RW Precision feels like the Variax to play. I drooled over the idea of Rickenbacker for a while, but can't afford it. So I was back to "Jazz, that's what you really need..."

And then I discovered the SG basses exist nowadays. They're closest, I believe, to the Gibson EB3 from the old days. Anyway, I got the old Free DVD out to watch Andy Fraser, and I was hooked...

We found one to try a couple of weekends back. Took me 5 minutes to decide, and I haven't been able to stop playing it since.

I always, as a guitarist, thought that short-scale basses were for people who can't manage a "man's bass" :D. Boy, was I wrong. Yes, it is easier on the aging hands/wrists, but it's a beast in it's own right. 60's bass lines just jump out of it, and it thumps and growls like a bar-steward... It's the first bass I've ever owned that feels like a part of me when I'm playing it (like most guitars usually do).

There's a lot of Cream, Free, and Slade bass-lines getting played at our place at the moment. But I'm finding it's excellent for Geddy Lee sounds and Geezer Butler stuff as well.

No idea yet how it will work on a recording, but I have high hopes...

Hope you bond with yours as well as this :)
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

ODH

That SG bass is a fine looking instrument, Andy.  After many years of six string playing I'm suddenly loving the four string flavour guitar.  I'm hoping to break mine in tonight with a little Jean-Jaques Burnell, Stranglers cover (that I've been practicing for months on my Telecaster).

Burtog

That does look awesome, a bass is also my next purchase after getting my recording shed up and running. Post a mini review when you've palyed it please.

Enjoy!
recorder
Boss BR-800