quick question

Started by Rockatron, May 18, 2011, 01:09:01 PM

Rockatron

I know this is probably a silly one but can I hook up a pedal (such as a boss distortion for example or delay..) and then record its signal when I insert it in "input" and then use it as "line" option (instead of guitar; voice, etc)?
Thanks,
rockatron
recorder
Boss BR-80

"Play, just play..."

cuthbert

Not sure I understand your question - are you asking if you can plug the output of your guitar pedal into the line input on a BR recorder?

You can, but the level coming out of the guitar pedal will be much too low (line level is a higher voltage than instrument, i.e., guitar level).

Or are you trying to split your guitar output so that one line goes directly into a BR guitar input, and another line goes into a guitar pedal, and then into the BR? Or something else entirely?
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Rockatron

Hey Cuthbert,
Sorry, my question is indeed not well formulated. 

The 2nd option of our answer is what I'm trying to do.  I have recently bought a reverb pedal I'd like to use to record into the BR (through "line") but I'm unsure whether or not I can do this..

thanks again
recorder
Boss BR-80

"Play, just play..."

cuthbert

On the Micro BR, you can select GTR+MIC and record both inputs, but not GTR+LIN, so if that's your recorder, I'd say that's not going to work for you. Not sure if the other recorders in the BR series are more flexible in this regard.

If you have a mixer (and pan your outputs hard left/right), you could probably do a line out from that and record them through the line input to two tracks if you have the necessary cable. You won't be able to do insert effects on just the guitar track as you record, but you could certainly add them to the guitar-only track later as part of a bounce.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Rockatron

Thanks a lot for your response Cuthbert. Too bad, I would have thought you could import this straight in the "line" when playing your guitar in an outside effect pedal...
recorder
Boss BR-80

"Play, just play..."