FIRST LIVE RECORDING WITH THE BR...

Started by Greeny, December 08, 2008, 03:52:36 AM

Greeny

12_TIM GREEN_BONUStrack_OctopusAndI_LIVE
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Here's a live recording from last night (my song 'The Octopus and I'), made on the BR using a stereo line-in straight from a mixing desk. It's just me and an electro-acoustic Ibanez Masa (my favourite live guitar).

I mixed it down using the 'live' effect, but it still sounds very flat and un-dynamic. It's nothing like the real ambience of a live performance. To me, it sounds like it needs another layer of ambient noise recorded via the in-built mic to give it some depth. I'm not sure you can have the mic and line-in working in tandem though (?)

It's cool that you can get a recording like this though - yet another great feature of this little box of wonders.

p.s. I wasn't in good form last night - bum notes on the vocals, and a general lack of motivation. And you can hear how totally disinterested the audience were too  :D

Flash Harry

Oh! an applaud!  How enthusiastic?

Are you sure you weren't playing at Hove (Actually)?
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Flash Harry

I know this song intimately. I've listened to it often enough and analysed it in order to be able to play bass for you on it.

This live version sounds great. The audience however... you were playing in an old peoples home weren't you? They were all over 80?
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

That's the worst it's been in this particular venue. They'd prefer some anodyne version of 'Brown Eyed Girl' to anything with a bit of thought / originality. Oh well... it's all good practice.

I'd also spent the morning busking in the freezing cold, so my voice had already been 'well used' by that point.

It wasn't Hove. It was a pub Surrey where people have piercings on their faces. They are a strange mixture of ages, but more into rock... and playing pool rather than watching the acts :D

hewhoiscalledj

i think it sounds pretty darn good. i'd say one big way to improve the sound or make it more dynamic, would be to experiment with different mic setups. maybe add a stereo pair of mics somewhere near the front of the stage to help capture the room sound a little better and make the overall recording sound bigger and more resonant.

did you tweak the Live Mix settings? perhaps the compression levels/settings could be adjusted to allow for more dynamics in the song. you would hardly need any compression at all for that kind of a recording.

overall though, i'd say that recording was a success. it can only sound better the more you experiment and record.

holdempok

It sounded like you pretty much nailed it there. Recorded realyy really well.

The peeps that didn't dig it don't have the spirt of what music is really about. the soul brother. Great job.

Wish you weren't across the freaking sea. lol I'd be there cheering.
Why don't we do it on the road?

Greeny

Quote from: holdempok on December 08, 2008, 05:46:57 PMIt sounded like you pretty much nailed it there. Recorded realyy really well.

The peeps that didn't dig it don't have the spirt of what music is really about. the soul brother. Great job.

Wish you weren't across the freaking sea. lol I'd be there cheering.

Thanks man! I still think there's going to be a point when everyone on here gets together for a massive live jam session - recorded on multiple BR's and mixed down into a perfect live recording!

Damn that Atlantic Ocean!  :D

Oldrottenhead

great stuff tim.
QuoteI still think there's going to be a point when everyone on here gets together for a massive live jam session - recorded on multiple BR's and mixed down into a perfect live recording!
maybe their could be a nevermet on each continent, uno like there used to be various versions of the temptations all touring at the same time.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

I also think it sounds really good and clear.  Your singing sounds good to me.  The fact that this is live makes this even better IMHO.  Your voice is just about as good as when you record it, no mean feat, you have pretty good control of that instrument.  As far as getting all of us on this forum involved, how about if we all record ourselves cheering, mix it all down and then you play that out the PA once your song is finished, that way we would be with you in spirit.  I would have been amazed to have walked into a performance like that.  You are an inspiration. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Quote from: Bluesberry on December 09, 2008, 09:02:16 AMI would have been amazed to have walked into a performance like that.  You are an inspiration. 

I don't know what to say. So I'll just grin!  ;D

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!