recommended SD cards.

Started by rythmking24, December 06, 2008, 07:18:00 PM

rythmking24

alrite guys...

i had a minor/ major disaster this evening. i was putting some bass to a song a have spent the last month or so recording and tweaking, when i got a series of error messages saying 'card read error' and 'card write error'!!!

after refering to the manual, it suggested i need to initialize the card, thus losing all my data i have worked so hard on creating. i am guessing and hoping i suppose, that it is just my SD card that is not particularly good for this sort of data storage etc... and that it is not a fault with the BR itself. the card in question is a SANDISK 1GB ULTRA II SD CARD.

so anyway, basically, what are the best SD cards available??? preferably 1GB...

many thanks.

hardlock

That's a good card from my experience.  Usually if the memory gets fragmented from lots of editing, you can get errors. 

I've found at the first sign of trouble (I get the drive busy during recording - then corrupted tracks myself at times) just stop, save and/or turn off the BR which should clean up the fragments.

This is a good time to back up the card also to protect your data thus far in case of track corruption problems.

I've tried the song optimize function which should clean up the song tracks but it hasn't helps the card errors.

Do a search here for "SD" as well as "errors" for lots of other info, recommendations etc.
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

rythmking24

cheers for the advise hardlock. unfortunately, non of it seems to solve the problem. i just keep getting the same messages.

funny thing aswell... when i do a search, on here, for 'SD' or 'errors', it just takes me to this post! and this post only. hahaha. oh well. i posted another question regarding the 'event full' error message. i read the manual. that just suggests that i can't carry out any more editing or recording. but if you have any ways around that or advise on that matter, it would be much appreciated. thanks again mate.

hardlock

Ha, I tried the search again and got your results.... What the...?

Oh, the problem is you need to be in the root directory (general discussion) when you do the search, not in a post.

Get the free download BR explorer program and before doing anything else, backup your card.  If you don't have a card reader on your computer, get one as they are cheap and frankly I only trust these cards so far....

Once backed up, you can delete any not current songs, tracks etc. from the card to free up space.  Optimize the song you are working on and turn off the unit.  When you turn it back on, hopefully your card memory will be orginized and have the space you need to keep working.  If not, initialize it and restore your data from the computer and you should be back in business.

Here's a thread I just found that covers much of these issues:

http://microrecorders.org/community/general-discussion/card-read-error/0/

recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure