Mastering and volume Change

Started by Shadow, December 04, 2008, 03:36:24 PM

Shadow

Hello, relative newbie here.
Is is possible to change the volume of just a certain measure during the mixing or mastering process? If so could someone be kind enough to explain how one does that?
Thank you!

W

hewhoiscalledj

I havent tried this myself but you should be able to make real time changes DURING the mastering process. It's akin to a sound engineer "riding the fader" along with a live performance.

I guess the trick is accessing the track level control while it's mastering. I'd just give it a shot. My main point is that any changes you do during the mastering process will take place. Think of the process as a live recording from your saved track(s) into the final track.

Shadow

QuoteI guess the trick is accessing the track level control while it's mastering

Please bear with me on this. It seems to me when I change the track volume during the mastering phase, it changes the entire track volume not just a measure. (I am trying to increase the volume of the singers voice in one part of the song where he was too far away from the mic. We redid the entire song but I was wondering if I could have somehow just increased the volume for that one part of the song without recording the song again.) I know that on some software programs there is an "amplify" affect but not sure if this can be done on the BR.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

W

Greeny

I make minor adjustments to individual track volumes all the time during mastering. It's easy to do. From the main screen, press Track 2, and you'll see the record screen. But if you scroll right using the '>' button, you'll come to the next screen, which is volume levels for each of the 4 tracks. These can all be adjusted individually in real time during mastering using the '+' and '-' buttons. The next scroll right will take you to panning if that's of any help too.

As far as I know, this is the only way to do it.

Good luck!

Oldrottenhead

you can also use the mibrobr wav convertor http://www.rolandus.com/support/downloads_updates/eula.aspx?DownloadId=423
and import the individual tracks into cubase or a similar daw, and edit the tracks individually, this can be easier as you can see how loud the wav files are at all points in the song, and can edit individual parts that are either too loud or to quiet, i do this a lot on my vocals, that way i can cut out all the bits between singing that might be recorded in instrumental parts , such as me cracking open another stella.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Shadow

Thanks ORH and Greeny. I will try the wav converter download as the other way is not working for me. Could be and most likely is, just me. Have a stella on me ORH! Thanks for all your help.

W

Shadow

Thanks guys I got it to worK!   :D
I appreciate all the help.

W

Oldrottenhead

we await the results of your twiddling with buttons
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Shadow

Ok, I have calmed down by waiting 48 hours to ask my question so hopefully it will sound logical. I had all four tracks down, and I wanted to change the end of my guitar part because I was slightly out of time with the slow-down ending. I was able complete the punch in and out procedure without a hitch. My guitar part was on track 2. I do believe I did the punch in and out on track 2 properly as the correction was made. However, after I went back to listen to the whole song the track 4 harmony was missing. The track still shows up on the BR screen but does not play. Sound level is at 100%. Did I erase it somehow with the punch in and out? I really do not believe that I worked with anything other than track 2 during that process. I had also copied the entire song to make sure that if I screwed it up I would still have a copy. But when I went to play the copy, track 4 is missing there as well.
The only other piece of info I can supply is that Track 1 had been done twice, regular track, then we did a second take on the virtual track but track 4 was just done on the basic track. That should not have anything to do with it, right?
interestingly enough, the song, before I screwed with it, was uploaded to my computer. I have downloaded it back to the BR figuring that I could just redo my part again. However, Track 4 did not show up on the BR. I am beside myself.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Our singer has gone back overseas and I can't get him to redo it and would like to avoid that phone call if at all possible.

Thanks!

W