'Dark Harvest' ...are you getting bored yet???!

Started by Greeny, December 02, 2008, 02:20:22 AM

Speed Demon

Tim, I will be honored to provide solo work on any of your tunes.
Outstanding workmanship.

Gene

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

cuthbert

Can't believe I hadn't heard this until now (thanks again to 64G for the 'On This Day' jukebox).

More Greeny magic - you certainly know how to paint a musical canvas! Can't wait to hear the next batch.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

des0free

Just listened to this.  It's great.  Backing vocals enhance this a lot.  Tempo is just right.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

stoman

Tim, is that really true? I mean that you cannot read music? Unbelievable ... I really cannot imagine how some of the greatest guitar players out there can do their fantastic jobs without that skill.

But the guitar is a mysterious instrument to me anyway. I just cannot get to grips with it. Quite the opposite of you. :)

I wish I could though ... the guitar is my favorite instrument, and I love folk-based music that usually consists of only a guitar and a voice.

Great job, as expected! :)

Regards,
  Steffen

cuthbert

Quote from: stoman on February 05, 2011, 12:56:50 AMTim, is that really true? I mean that you cannot read music? Unbelievable ... I really cannot imagine how some of the greatest guitar players out there can do their fantastic jobs without that skill.

Three other great songwriters immediately come to mind who also couldn't read music: John Lennon, Paul McCartney, and Brian Wilson.  ;D
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Tangled Wires

Missed this somehow back in the day, glad it got bumped up, its a beauty.

Love the way you have structured this song, it flows along effortlessly and how good does that acoustic sound! The bass is understated, and ties the song together perfectly.

Your ability to create wonderful vocal and guitar melodies in your songs never ceases to amaze me, particularly when considering the volume you put out too.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Speed Demon

I don't think its necessary to be a good sight reader to play music well, however it is necessary to understand how music is constructed, the cycle of fifths, scales and modes, etc.

I can read sheet music but I rarely ever resort to using a sheet to learn a song. I can listen to it and by the time the song has ended I know everything that was done in it. The vocals require more work to master.

As for solo work, few composers write down every note played. I've seen a great many sheets written where the measures for the solo were marked ADLIB. Classical music is an exception to this statement.

The guitar is unique in that it can produce all the fractional tones between whole notes, down to a hemi demi semi quaver. Good luck writing down every trill, bend, slur and quaver in a blistering sixteen measure solo.

I've occasionally made string dips to the point of the strings actually lying slack on the frets.
Part of a heavy feedback technique. Not sure how what was played there would be written down.

I believe that if you can imagine a melody or a passage in your mind, you can play it.

recorder
Boss eBand JS-8

recorder
Adobe Audition

There is room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to my mashed potatoes.

shadowself

What a beautiful composition.  The arrangement is just... right.  Absolutely beautiful chord progression, and I especially love the acoustic parts - that 12-string sound great.  Every note in the vocal melody fits perfectly with the song, no awkward or forced moments.  Awesome stuff!

recorder
Record
recorder
Reason

Rata-tat-tat

Woww.... missed this one. Great job guys... This is a beautifully crafted tune. LOVE IT>
recorder
Tascam DP-02

Bluesberry

^ now thats a great BUMP........always good to hear this one again.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand