boss launch the micro br80 to replace the micro br

Started by Oldrottenhead, April 06, 2011, 03:37:18 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: chip on November 10, 2012, 08:10:47 AMHi Folks... . I am going to copy some tracks off Cd's onto the BR80 to then play through the PA... Would this be ok as in, would it work?  This will save carting about Cd players etc  to gigs for background music.

When you say "copy some tracks off Cd's", I assume you mean that you're going to rip them to MP3 or WAV format. If so, then yes it will work just fine. WAV format will sound best but will eat up card space quickly. So MP3 might be the best choice if you plan to rip a lot of songs. Use a bit rate of at least 192kbps to ensure good sound quality.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

chip

Quote from: 64Guitars on November 10, 2012, 09:12:52 AM
Quote from: chip on November 10, 2012, 08:10:47 AMHi Folks... . I am going to copy some tracks off Cd's onto the BR80 to then play through the PA... Would this be ok as in, would it work?  This will save carting about Cd players etc  to gigs for background music.

When you say "copy some tracks off Cd's", I assume you mean that you're going to rip them to MP3 or WAV format. If so, then yes it will work just fine. WAV format will sound best but will eat up card space quickly. So MP3 might be the best choice if you plan to rip a lot of songs. Use a bit rate of at least 192kbps to ensure good sound quality.

Hi 64... No... I mean record direct from a cd player onto the SD card..... So CD player to Line in on BR80.... Then at the gig... BR80 through the mixer to the speakers which are now all active.... Now my mate done this but with a BR600, he took it down to the practice put it through the ancient mixing desk, through their crappy PA and it was terrible... I and he think it's the desk not the BR that caused the trouble.......

If I may explain......  He set the input sens and levels, but before I go on , he records radio shows at night on the 600 and plays them back during the day...and they sound fine.....So he recorded a load of CD tracks, played them back through the Hi Fi and they were fine. At practice the BR was very loud and the meters on the BR were full blocks no variance just full on , but on the HI FI the signal was fine no clipping, in fact bang on...

So he asked me to try the BR80 through an up to date mixing desk with a proper PA, to eliminate the ancient mixing desk which may or may not be the problem....  But I said, I would ask the forum for advice as he has no interest in the web and no connection either...   Judging by your answer I would anticipate that what he/we are trying to do is not on........
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

IanR

Chip,

It seems to me that you should follow the advice from 64 Guitars.  The process you have described has a couple of redundant steps.  What I mean is that to record from your CD player into the line in to the MBR has a digital to analogue conversion and then an analogue to digital conversion that are not necessary if you just rip the cd to an mp3 using a computer.

I have used the process you describe to convert a song from vinyl to an mp3.  That process works really well. 

cheers,

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

64Guitars

Just noticed that system update version 1.06 for the BR-80 was released on Nov. 1st.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=BR-80&id=62153330

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1167/494/downloads/

From Roland.com:
[Version 1.06]
Bug Fix
The following bug is fixed.

• Phrases might not sound in MTR mode.

Update instructions (in English) are included in the download from Roland US. However, they're not included in the download from Roland.com so I'm attaching them to this message.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert M. Pirsig

DannyB_KY

Cool!

Like most, I'm at 1.05. I'll fix that this afternoon when I get home from work.

It's still not the update most 80 owners are wishing for........

Unlike wives, you can never have too many Les Pauls.

SE

Hi every one I,m trying to add some backing tracks to the BR80, dragged and dropped them from my lap top ( mp3,s), but can,t seem to find them on the br 80.
Connect up the 80 using the usb  again and open up the file bo and all the tracks where there, thanks for any help.

John
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Quote from: SE on January 13, 2013, 01:00:39 PMHi every one I,m trying to add some backing tracks to the BR80, dragged and dropped them from my lap top ( mp3,s), but can,t seem to find them on the br 80.
Connect up the 80 using the usb  again and open up the file bo and all the tracks where there, thanks for any help.

In which mode (eBand, Live Rec, or Multitrack) do you want to use these MP3s? As far as I can tell, you can't import MP3s into multitrack mode. If that's where you want the songs, you should first convert them to WAV format, then use the BR Wave Converter to transfer them.

If you want to use these MP3s in Live Rec mode, I believe you have to copy them to the LIVEREC folder.

If you want to use them in eBand mode, I think you have to use the eBand Song List Editor software to transfer them to the BR.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website