boss launch the micro br80 to replace the micro br

Started by Oldrottenhead, April 06, 2011, 03:37:18 AM

FuzzFace

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 11, 2011, 01:56:15 PM
Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on April 11, 2011, 01:20:44 PMWhat is the problem with the +/- buttons?

Too tiny for my liking. Faders make it easy to do proper fades. And they provide immediate visual feedback of their current setting. You can just glance at the recorder and see that track 3 is set higher than track 2, for example, without pressing any buttons. And, they're more intuitive to use than buttons. If a track's level is too high or too low, you just nudge that track's fader in the appropriate direction. If you want to instantly drop a track's level to minimum, a quick flick of the fader is all that's needed.

Plus, tiny switches tend to break easily. Just ask Gnasty.  ;)

Ok that makes sense.  

Personally, my practice is to pick volume levels by ear rather than doing it visually.  I don't want to be fooled into thinking that just because 2 tracks are both set at 95, that they trully are the same volume.  I actually close my eyes while adjusting levels, so the +/- buttons suit me.

But I do see your point about being able to eliminate a channel with just one flick.  That is a limitation about the MBR I don't like.  I get around it by flipping to a virtual track, but it takes several button pushes to get there.

EDIT:  This topic is probably like shaving.  If you start with a blade you never go to electric.

64Guitars

Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on April 11, 2011, 02:22:37 PMPersonally, my practice is to pick volume levels by ear rather than doing it visually.  I don't want to be fooled into thinking that just because 2 tracks are both set at 95, that they trully are the same volume.  I actually close my eyes while adjusting levels, so the +/- buttons suit me.

Ears are not enough (wasn't that a song by Northern Lights?). It's very important to adjust your levels according to the level meters. It's the only way you can tell if the signal is clipping, especially with the Master Level. It might sound clear while you're mastering or bouncing, but if the master level is too high, your recording will be distorted when you play it back.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

FuzzFace

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 11, 2011, 04:24:47 PM
Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on April 11, 2011, 02:22:37 PMPersonally, my practice is to pick volume levels by ear rather than doing it visually.  I don't want to be fooled into thinking that just because 2 tracks are both set at 95, that they trully are the same volume.  I actually close my eyes while adjusting levels, so the +/- buttons suit me.

Ears are not enough (wasn't that a song by Northern Lights?). It's very important to adjust your levels according to the level meters. It's the only way you can tell if the signal is clipping, especially with the Master Level. It might sound clear while you're mastering or bouncing, but if the master level is too high, your recording will be distorted when you play it back.

So in your opinion, assuming the BR-80 is as advertised, what is a better upgrade from MBR... BR-80 or BR-800?

I just took a look at the BR-800 on the way home for the first time and was surprised at how small it actually is.  For some reason I was picturing a device twice that size.

64Guitars

Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on April 11, 2011, 05:06:36 PMSo in your opinion, assuming the BR-80 is as advertised, what is a better upgrade from MBR... BR-80 or BR-800?

I just took a look at the BR-800 on the way home for the first time and was surprised at how small it actually is.  For some reason I was picturing a device twice that size.

It really depends on the person buying it. Most Micro BR users love it because of its extremely small size. As you said, the BR-800 is surprisingly small too. But you can't put it in your shirt pocket or hold it in your hand while singing. So, if that's important to you, then the BR-80 is clearly the best choice. It even has some advantages over the BR-800. The main advantage is that it has Hi-Speed USB 2.0, whereas the BR-800 has the much slower USB 1.1. So file transfers should be much faster on the BR-80. Another advantage (though probably trivial) is that it comes with SONAR X1 LE (the latest version), whereas the BR-800 comes with SONAR 8.5 LE (previous version, I assume). And the BR-80 has a new effects chip, which may or may not be better than the BR-800's effects (too early to say).

But not everyone feels the same way about the BR-80's small size. Personally, I can't stand tiny electronic gadgets. I've never owned an MP3 player or mobile phone and probably never will. I like my electronic devices full size. So, if I had to choose between the BR-80 and the BR-800, I'd go with the BR-800. But, really, I wouldn't buy either. I'm pretty happy with my BR-864. The size is just right for me and it includes MIDI which I use fairly often. Neither the BR-80 nor the BR-800 include MIDI. So, if I was thinking of getting a new recorder, I'd probably wait a while and see if Boss comes out with something better-suited to my needs. Something with MIDI and maybe 16 playback tracks.

But that's just me, and I realise that I'm in the minority here. Most of our members want a recorder they can hold in their hand. If you do too, then you can't go wrong with the BR-80. It's much better than the original Micro BR. But, if size isn't that important to you, you might prefer the BR-800. One advantage of the BR-800 is that it's available now, whereas the BR-80 probably won't be available until July or later (the Thomann website says they don't expect them until August 30th).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

just came to think of one thing .....

... if the file-formats of the BR-80 is the same as the 800 ..... welll .... then the GAS just has to be obeyed !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

chip

My question. Will all those who have the original change to the new one?
 It doesn't look as stylish for one ( not that I am stylish)
 Is it worth changing?... Is their a Massiveeeeeeeeeeeeeee difference to the original, that one must drop everything and run out and get one?
I suppose we will have to wait and see, as you know I am still working the original out, by the time I have done that another will be out.......!!!!!!!
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

henwrench

Quote from: chip on April 13, 2011, 10:31:41 AMMy question. Will all those who have the original change to the new one?
 It doesn't look as stylish for one ( not that I am stylish)
 Is it worth changing?... Is their a Massiveeeeeeeeeeeeeee difference to the original, that one must drop everything and run out and get one?
I suppose we will have to wait and see, as you know I am still working the original out, by the time I have done that another will be out.......!!!!!!!

I am seriously considering upgrading. The fact that the unit will contain updated chips for the amp simulators is a plus, so is the stereo mics for field recording. But the main plus point for me is the 8 track playback, which will pretty much eliminate the need to mix down via Audacity or whatever. I will still 'top and tail' and do some basic mastering in Audacity, but, yea, it's the self contained 8 track (10 including drums) that really appeals to me....

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

FuzzFace

Quote from: henwrench on April 13, 2011, 11:12:04 AMBut the main plus point for me is the 8 track playback, which will pretty much eliminate the need to mix down via Audacity or whatever.

That is what makes it attractive to me.
To me, resetting the levels every time I bounce tracks is a pain.
So I often don't bother bouncing, and I only get to hear all my tracks together once I export to Audacity.  If I could get it all done on the BR before exporting, that would reduce a lot of steps.

Although I know Greeny does it all on the MBR and has amazing results.  So if I could just boost my own patience a little I would probably not need to upgrade.

Oldrottenhead

just a thought but it would probably great for recording live perfomances, i'm sure the bootleggers will be queueing up for one.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

64Guitars

Quote from: chip on April 13, 2011, 10:31:41 AMIs it worth changing?... Is their a Massiveeeeeeeeeeeeeee difference to the original, that one must drop everything and run out and get one?

If you haven't yet fully explored all of the capabilities of your original Micro BR, then you probably shouldn't rush out to buy the BR-80. It won't be any easier to learn. So spend some time learning your original Micro BR. Study the manual, watch some videos, read the posts here, ask questions, and experiment with the features you haven't yet mastered. When you feel comfortable with the original Micro BR and start to run into its limitations, then you can consider upgrading to a new recorder.

You should also consider how you use your recorder and what you want from it. If you just play acoustic guitar and sing, then you might find that the 4 playback tracks of the original Micro BR is enough for your needs. But if you play several instruments and you want to make recordings with many tracks, then the BR-80's 8 playback tracks will make it a lot easier.

Of course, it mostly comes down to money. If you've got lots of it, or you can sell your original Micro BR for a good price and get a great deal on a BR-80, then why not? But if money's tight, then don't spend it needlessly. Learn your original Micro BR instead. The knowledge you gain will help you decide which recorder to upgrade to when the time comes. Or maybe you'll learn that, for the kind of recordings you want to make, you don't need to upgrade at all.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website