boss launch the micro br80 to replace the micro br

Started by Oldrottenhead, April 06, 2011, 03:37:18 AM

Kenneth

Everything looks great about this, love the updates, and I bet all the cosm effects are wonderfully up to date. I have yet to read through all of this thread.
Dont know if I missed but are they (models, effects) based on the GT10?

The fader issue is the real biggie for me, but if you can use the wheel to gradually fade in or out , it could be very workable.
In fact, I wondering if this is so up to the times that I can use it exclusively and unload all my other Br's....
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

64Guitars

Quote from: Ken on April 10, 2011, 03:23:08 PMDont know if I missed but are they (models, effects) based on the GT10?

I haven't seen anything that says they're based on the GT-10.

All I've seen so far is:

• powered by a newly developed custom DSP chip
  • over 40 types of COSM amp models
  • dedicated vocal effects, comparable with BOSS's popular VE-20, include doubling, harmony effects, pitch correction, and more

"Over 40 types of COSM amp models" sounds impressive. The original Micro BR has 11 (13 if you count the three variations of Marshall). The BR-800 has 12 amp models with 3 or 4 variations on each. If you count all of the variations as separate amp types, the BR-800 has 39. I assume that's what they mean when they say that the BR-80 has "over 40" amp models. It probably has one extra amp model (compared to the BR-800's 12) with 3 or 4 variations, putting the total amp type settings at "over 40".

Here's how all of the BRs compare on number of amp models:

Amp
Models

Total
Types
Original
Micro BR

BR-8013?40+
BR-5321315
BR-6001315
BR-8001239
BR-8641315
BR-900 v21248
BR-11801315
BR-12001315
BR-1600 v2            1315

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Migs

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 09, 2011, 12:52:18 AMI've added 39 screenshots of the BR-80's display to my website.

https://songcrafters.org/64guitars/BR/BR80Screenshots.html

Ya know,  its largely an aesthetic rather than a technical complaint but it would have been nice for them to have thrown in a hi-res screen.  A NES emulator has higher res than the new BR-80 which just makes it look dated to me.

Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

64Guitars

Quote from: Migs on April 10, 2011, 06:17:56 PMYa know,  its largely an aesthetic rather than a technical complaint but it would have been nice for them to have thrown in a hi-res screen.  A NES emulator has higher res than the new BR-80 which just makes it look dated to me.

The crude graphics remind me of my old Commodore VIC-20. :D

But the display is a big improvement over the original Micro BR, and it's the same resolution as the BR-800's display (128 x 64 pixels). I think it will be great to be able to see several effects parameters on the screen at once, or several items in a menu while you scroll through them, rather than just one at a time as on the original Micro BR. And the screen is big enough to show the current status of all 64 v-tracks at once, just like the BR-800 does:

I agree that higher resolution would have been much nicer. But, although the BR-80's display is far from state-of-the-art, it's certainly a big improvement over the original Micro BR.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Migs

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 10, 2011, 07:17:46 PMI agree that higher resolution would have been much nicer. But, although the BR-80's display is far from state-of-the-art, it's certainly a big improvement over the original Micro BR.

It is just one of those simple things that Roland *could* have done to make it a really impressive piece of kit.  Technology has advanced too much and is too cheap to be putting last decade's technology into anything.

Migs

what it *should* look like...

...complete with colour touch screen.

64Guitars

That would be cool! :)

I just had a quick look around at what the other recorder manufacturers are offering and I can't find anything with a higher resolution display. The Zoom R24 and the new R8 have 128 x 64 displays, the same as the BR-80 and BR-800. Maybe Roland didn't have any incentive to put a higher resolution display in the BR-80.

Also, I wonder if part of the reason is power consumption. I would imagine that a high-resolution colour display would draw more current than the monochrome 128 x 64 display that Boss chose. In a battery-operated device like the BR-80, you want to keep power consumption at a minimum.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Geir

wow ..... this willl be high up on my GAS-list

Quote from: guitarron on April 07, 2011, 04:57:57 AM
Quote from: henwrench on April 06, 2011, 10:48:13 AMIt does look very interesting.....

Can you record using just one mic? No good having those extra tracks if they all get eaten up with having to record stereo lead and backing vocals...maybe a BR-800 owner can answer this...

i think you could record using both mics to a mono track

agree on the faders issue-still is a tempting little devil
The BR800 can record both mics to one mono-track. I do hope that an upgrade will make it possible to record from only one mic to a mono-track, but I doubt it will happen, and I suspect that the BR-80 will be the same. What I do on the 800 is to turn the input sensitivity all the way down on one of the mics and sing into the other one. Why? To avoid any phase-cancellation effect.

Quote from: dasilvasings on April 07, 2011, 07:13:40 AMI told you, but no, no one believed me!  ;D
I know DSS, I'm sorry !!!!! but it was the 1st of April when you posted the good news !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

FuzzFace

Quote from: 64Guitars on April 08, 2011, 09:00:07 PMI assume that the jog wheel is used to adjust levels and other parameters. Not as good as proper faders but I guess it's an improvement over the dinky +/- buttons.

What is the problem with the +/- buttons?

I have only ever used the MBR, so I don't know any better.

Although I have used the level adjusters in Audacity, but I prefer the +/- buttons on the MBR because I can pick the exact level I want without having to rely on the touchiness of the controls.

64Guitars

Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on April 11, 2011, 01:20:44 PMWhat is the problem with the +/- buttons?

Too tiny for my liking. Faders make it easy to do proper fades. And they provide immediate visual feedback of their current setting. You can just glance at the recorder and see that track 3 is set higher than track 2, for example, without pressing any buttons. And, they're more intuitive to use than buttons. If a track's level is too high or too low, you just nudge that track's fader in the appropriate direction. If you want to instantly drop a track's level to minimum, a quick flick of the fader is all that's needed.

Plus, tiny switches tend to break easily. Just ask Gnasty.  ;)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website