boss launch the micro br80 to replace the micro br

Started by Oldrottenhead, April 06, 2011, 03:37:18 AM

Geir

Quote from: Kenny B on January 11, 2012, 01:46:07 PMI do have a couple questions on the BR 80 drums vs. the MICRO BR if it wasn't already
covered somewhere ... I know they sound better but are there different patterns and is the
programming much different? 
I've got comments that they sound better on the two songs I've posted with my new br80, but frankly, I don't hear the big difference. It would be cool if someone could prove me wrong. I've passed the Micro over to my daughter so I can't compare myself. If someone who's got both, could do a bounce (no mastering effect) of a few bars of the same pattern and kit from the two, then we could do a comparison.

The programming is different. Some say better. ...  I still have the mbr-programming so much in my fingers so for now I just say :different :D there are some improvements, but somethings are a bit annoying ....
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I bought this device (micro BR 80) spontaneously last week and I'm somewhat disappointed. Technology has not improved a lot since my rock'n roll days (early nineties).

How do you record your songs? A drum track, than play the guitar without singing, than sing? Even Bob Dylan could not record a song with it. 2 simultaneous tracks is the minimum one can ask for.

(I know you did not build the device - I didn't even care to look if this feature exists - it was obvious to me)

Quote from: Geir on January 12, 2012, 03:52:55 PM
Quote from: Gutjahr on January 11, 2012, 03:25:03 AMA simple question: I want to sing through the built-in microphone and play the electric guitar at the same time. Obviously I want to record them on separate tracks.

I have not found a possibility to do this so far. Any ideas?
Hi Tom. And welcome !!

You say microphone (as in one mic ?) so I assume you have the original MicroBR. Well it doesn't really matter, the answer is the same for MicroBR and MicroBR-80: NO.

The guitar-input will be mixed with the internal mic on the mbr, so you'll have to set the balance between them as you record. (MBR Manual pg 39).

The BR-80 can't record guitar and internal mic at the same time at all, as far as I've figured out (only had it for two weeks tho).

The BR800 will on the other hand record the guitar to one track and the two mics to another.

Geir

Quote from: Gutjahr on January 12, 2012, 04:54:41 PMHow do you record your songs?
On the Micro's I usually record a guitar-track over a basic rhythm-track first (sometimes I record a vocal guide-track at the same time). Then I record the vocals and maybe one more guitar. Then I program the drums, putting in fills and an ending. Then the bass. Ukulele, percussion and other instruments may come in at any time in the process :D

For acoustic "Live in the living room" recordings I guess I'll mostly will be using my br800 with an external condenser mic, tho I do think the br80 can give some pretty decent results with just the built-in mics. (The audio on my video of "Like a fool" was recorded with the br80 places on a shelf beside me (left in the vid))
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Tony W

I've been trying to format an SD card (16GB) using the BR-80, and it's been running for an hour. I'm half tempted to kill the process and format the card with a PC instead. Any idea what the result will be?

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

It's best to let the BR format your card. I don't know what file system the BR-80 uses. Past BRs used a file system licensed from Kyoto Software Research which was based on Microsoft's FAT-16. The BR-80's file system is obviously not based on FAT-16 since it can address more than 1GB. It might be based on FAT-32 but it could equally be based on some other file system. In any case, since it's not licensed from Microsoft, we can't be sure that it's 100% compatible. So, even though you might be able to format the card in your computer as FAT-32 and it might appear to work in the BR-80, the format may not be 100% the same as a BR format. So it's best to let the BR do the job.

If the BR can't format the card, then I wouldn't trust it with my data anyway. Better to use a card that the BR is happy with.

Also, initialization in the BR does more than just format the card. It also creates the necessary folder structure and files. Of course, you could restore these from a backup instead.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony W

That's pretty much what I was afraid of. It's looking like the 16Gb card is hosed. I just did an 8Gb that I had on standby without issue. I don't have a card reader on hand to play with the 16, so I'll work on it tonight and see if I can at least get it formatted with a PC then try to initialize on the BR.

I fear the card took a shit during a gig and the batteries went dead because my PSA took a crap too.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

You can download a program for formatting SD cards here:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/

If it successfully formats the card, then try it again in the BR.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Tony W

I didn't get the SDcard formatter to work on Windows 7 64 bit, but I did wind up doing a quick format from the PC, then again on the BR, and it appears to be working fine now.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

DannyB_KY

I read all 16 pages and I didn't see the information I seek.

How does the BR-80 handle 3/4 time????
Unlike wives, you can never have too many Les Pauls.

Geir

Quote from: DannyB_KY on January 25, 2012, 04:38:11 PMI read all 16 pages and I didn't see the information I seek.

How does the BR-80 handle 3/4 time????
Except for the metronome pattern there isn't any built-in. But you can import 3/4 midi drum patterns and it will handle it fine !! that is if you've got the latest firmware upgrade !
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........