boss launch the micro br80 to replace the micro br

Started by Oldrottenhead, April 06, 2011, 03:37:18 AM

Greeny

Quote from: Henky on June 24, 2011, 07:59:08 AM
Quote from: Greeny on June 24, 2011, 07:51:36 AMDamn... what I really wanted was a full list of patches and fx. There's nothing listed. I'll only buy it if it gives me a significant difference / advantage in the tones and effects I can get over what's on the MBR.

You can find that in a different document called "BR-80 Data List"

http://www.roland.com/manuals/en/index.cfm?iRcId=62121934&dsp=1

Christ on a bike. This is the business. OK... it's got the lot. I'd like to spend a weekend trying every one of those patches out.

Thanks!

64Guitars

Thanks, Henky!

Here's the page with all of the docs:

http://www.roland.com/manuals/en/index.cfm?PRODUCT=BR-80

BuleriaChk will be pleased to see that there's a MIDI Implementation sheet. I haven't looked at it yet but I'll be reviewing all of this documentation as soon as I get a chance.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Some downloads are available too. Drivers and a new version of the BR Wave Converter (3.10).

http://www.roland.com/products/en/_support/dld.cfm?PRODUCT=BR-80

I think this is a good indication that the BR-80 is probably shipping and should appear in stores any day now. If anyone sees it in their local music shop, let us know.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

chip

Just been reading the manual. It does seem very well written and laid out which to me is of great importance. The device does look a tad simpler to use than the original which is also good news. Having worked with the original MBR manual/recorder, Rolands familiar style and layout will obviously make things easier for the transition to the BR 80, if I decide to purchase one.
Sweet young thing aint sweet no more.

Dmann

from looking at the midi , I can say it will be very easy to create your own rhythm beats using a midi editor and saving to a .smf file. May be a little more work, but now we won't be restricted to only using the built in patterns to realize our creations

shit man the only thing this dosen't have is blutooth/wifi capability.

Greeny, as pro as you are I don't think you would really "need" to upgrade, but at the same time, all the extra functionality will definately make things easier and more streamlined to get your idea's recorded. I have personally moved on to full fledged PC recording, but I will definately be picking up one of these come july 15 (according to Musicians Friend).

One question though, looking at the new manual from the boss site, I noticed they changed the file structure on the memory card, and maybe i missed it, but i didn't see anything on converting your current MBR data to the new MBR80 format. I'll look again when i get some more free time.

BuleriaChk

If this is true, and I can use MIDI to create my own patterns, then I am IN (even if it doesn't have ToneLoad..)
(But sheesh, you would think they would include it)....

Damn, I just ordered Maschine, too.....  Oh well, there goes my grandmother to EBay (again).....:-)

UPDATE:  WELL, after reading the manual once through, it looks like I can use my own MIDI patterns, but not my own tones (handclaps for me).  However, it does look like it will loop songs, so if I want to play against patterns, I could conceivably make a "song" of a number of loops and loop that; the only drawback is I won't get a precise ability to change tempo, so will have to duplicate some "songs" at different tempos for different (Flamenco) rhythms, which use the same patterns but at different tempos....

Also, it looks like you can play along with songs while using guitar effects... (don't know about insert effects, though, which may apply to the whole song....)  This is just preliminary, I have to RTFM several more times before I'm sure of anything.... But if the effects are like the BR-800!!!!

Of course, with Maschine, I can go nuts with the loops, so it actually might be better in practice than the other BR's (if there is no loading time between songs....)  But it is HIGHLY portable, and would serve as a great backup....

Quote from: Dmann on June 24, 2011, 12:31:07 PMfrom looking at the midi , I can say it will be very easy to create your own rhythm beats using a midi editor and saving to a .smf file. May be a little more work, but now we won't be restricted to only using the built in patterns to realize our creations

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

64Guitars

Yes, you can import standard midi files into the BR-80's drum machine. That has been known for a while. You can see them demonstrating it in this video at about 3:00 (start at about 2:42 to get more info on the drum machine). Patterns can be up to 999 measures long and contain up to 4,999 notes. So you could create a single pattern for the entire song if you like, greatly simplifying your arrangement (step 1 = your pattern; step 2 = P327:BREAK).

When I saw that there was a MIDI Implementation Sheet, I hoped that the BR-80 might actually have some midi I/O over USB. But that doesn't seem to be the case. It doesn't transmit midi at all except to reply to an Indentity Request. And the only midi it recognizes is limited to the drum machine on midi channel 10 only, so I think that's just for SMF import rather than any kind of I/O. Or maybe the new Rhythm Editor (which I haven't seen yet) can communicate directly with the BR-80 using midi over USB. But that would be one-way communication because the BR-80 can't transmit midi.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

BuleriaChk

I guess I can record all my loops at 100 bpm, and then the percentage will reflect the bpm (sort of); at least to give a thumbnail sketch of how fast my loop is playing.  Don't know how well this will work, and it will depend on the ability of the song to loop without a glitch.

That said, since in EBand mode it does seem to do .mp3, I can make a single song for each pattern, say, 30 minutes long, which will cover any performance against a single pattern.

So I'll use Maschine and Ableton Live to make my backing "songs"..... Looks like there are workarounds, though.  Guess I'll go place one on order now.....

Update: Musicians Friend now says July 17, 2011

recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Boss BR-900
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
V-Studio 20
recorder
Boss BR-80

Bluesberry

I just put my downpayment down........They should be in Long & Mcquade before too long, sometime in July.......

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Redler

I emailed to my Finnish dealer and they said it'll here in the end of July. I pre-ordered it...242 €.

Kari
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR