When I Turn 80

Started by chip withrow, March 09, 2011, 03:12:15 PM

chip withrow

Time:
0:00
Volume:
Been away for awhile, doing February Album Month. I wrote this one after FAWM had ended, because my sister-in-law asked me to write a song for her dad's 80th birthday.
Sort of weird how this one came about - my wife, who is often a lot more confident about my music than I am, suggested that I might try custom-writing songs for people. Then the very next day, my sister-in-law asked me to do this.
I'm still getting the hang of the new Mixcraft software I have, and this one also gave me a chance to so some basic mixing. I recorded vocal and guitar, then two banjo tracks, then picked and chose the best banjo parts.
Happy to be back here, and I've heard soe great songs since my return.

When I Turn 80
When I turn 80, here's what I'm gonna do
Gonna look back on what I've done
But I'm gonna look forward, too
When I turn 80, here's what I'm gonna do
Gonna look back on the times we had
And look forward to more with you

Life's a treasure – it's oh so fine
Like vinyl records, and vintage wine
Seen rain and snow, and I've felt sunshine
Yeah, I've done real good for 79

When I turn 80 ...

Most times you walk, sometimes you run
Another year older, and a new one's begun
Don't mind clouds, but I look for the sun
And I'm looking forward to 81

When I turn 80 ...

cuthbert

Damn, this is nice chip.

Great picking on the guitar and banjo, great message and vocal delivery. Getting a bit of a 'Beggars Banquet' vibe from it, and I like it!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

SE

Great tribute, I,m sure the old guy will love it, that banjo just sounds cool love,in it!!
recorder
Boss BR-80

Greeny

Love the sound of that banjo. This is a great little foot-tapper, with a mighty fine lyric and delivery. Lovely work. In my case, I'd have to sing 'IF' I turn 80, lol. Because it 'aint gonna happen!

ODH

I felt somehow priviliged to hear that family moment.  Great work, I'm certain it will be appreciated.  Will you have to perform this live at the birthday party?
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Bluesberry

Great song Chip, really strong stuff.  Nice, fine, excellent, cool, deadly....what else can I say....I love it.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Kenneth

You are a great songwriter Chip, love the whole positivity (is that a word?) of the song.
Very uplifting, made for a happy listen, terrific.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

Oldrottenhead

really uplifting tune chip
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Black Mary

Hi Chip. Beautiful track. Love the sentiment. I like your songwriting style very much. Banjo sounds fantastic. !!!
kingliggermusic

Gritter

I like this a lot, as I'm sure the birthday boy will. A really great idea for a gift and wonderfully excecuted.