Line in/ mic (stereo) question...

Started by rythmking24, November 26, 2008, 01:53:38 PM

rythmking24

when i start to record through a battery powered condenser mic, with an xlr to mini jack goin into the line- in/ mic input, it automatically starts recording on two tracks. that much i understand. however... the left input ( track 1 ) has a high input level whilst the right ( track 2 ) has a much lower input level. should it be like this? if not, what's goin on with it?  any ideas? cheers.

Flash Harry

Hmm, Dunno. What sort of lead are you using and how is it wired?

My thought is that if it's a stereo jack, you probably need to wire the ring and tip together to make it a 'Mono' configuation.

If it's a mono jack then I haven't a clue.

Sorry, I have just re-read this. has the mic got a balanced output?

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

rythmking24

i am using an xlr to mini jack lead. its a cheapo lead, so maybe that has something to do with it. not sure whether its stereo or not. i am afraid i dont know whether the mic is balanced or not either. it an AKG C 1000 S, if that helps. it doesn't have any adjustable settings or anything.

guitarron

is the c1000 a stereo mic?-i think it would only record mono  as you have described

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

I had a quick look at the AKG website just now and it seems that the C 1000 S is a regular mono condenser mic. Pins 1 and 3 of its XLR connector should be connected to the sleeve (ground) of a stereo mini plug, and pin 2 (the audio signal) should be connected to the tip (left channel) of the mini plug. The ring of the mini plug (right channel) needn't be connected, as the C 1000 S is not a stereo mic. You can record to a single channel instead of two by pressing one of the track buttons (see page 41, lower left of page). Be sure to switch the BR's plug-in power Off (see page 114).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

rythmking24