Long Shadows

Started by henwrench, March 02, 2011, 01:18:36 PM

Greeny

This is fantastic. The pitch-shift gives adds an uncomfortable edge to the sweeteness of the melody and arrangement. It was too short for me... I wanted MORE MORE MORE! It's a different sound to your usual, but it really works. And it just goes to show that you are a master of your craft, no matter what instruments you're using.
I'm onto listen number 2 already. What a cracker.

p.s. I love Bubba Ho-Tep. (highly recommend it to anyone not familiar with it!). How can you go wrong with a film about an undead, elderly Elvis in a nursing home fighting an undead Egyptian mummy?!

henwrench

Word bits....

Starting today a crusade to help the frail and vulnerable
     I gave up looking and started to listen
     I heard all the systems you wanted to list
     And the 14th amendment to your agenda
     Saw me leave the building with Freddie and Bing

Long shadows run and reach
     I am another one
     Got y'eye on something wrong
     How to triple my energy

The piano was recorded in two parts. I did the 'left' hand bit first (using both hands!) and panned in slightly left and then did the 'right' hand or melody part next, panning that slightly right. I 'practiced' it at home first on my keys and then spent about 15 minutes recording in my daughters school, on their beautifully sounding 'honky tonk' piano. It's out of tune. Lovely!!
            The bass I used had no nut  :o just cardboard wedges in the place of where the nut is. The strings were rustier than a ginger cats asshole. I had to use a plec to stop the strings from detaching from the cardboard nut.
             The drum loops and 'pan pipes' were done on my trusty childs toy keyboard.
        Double tracked acoustic guitar and voice and that's yer lot.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Onto my 4th listen. This is a bloody epic!

Bluesberry

Sweet Jezzus man, I can't believe how this makes me feel.  Sad, happy, euphoric, mellow, energized.  You have put a whole lot of life into this song man, its full to the damn brim.  Its like having one of those energy drinks, a musical energy drink.  How do you do something like this so effortlessly sounding is beyond me.  Its like Mark Linkous assisted you on this one from the beyone, damn spooky if you ask me...your best shit seems to be both happy and spooky at the same time.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Wow, this one blasted in from leftfield. Two listens already and more on the way. I can't help thinking that if John Lennon was alive he would have been proud to have recorded this. Amazing.........Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

cuthbert

Wowie! :o

This is already now one of my favorite henwrench songs, ever - great choice of movie for song inspiration, and I absolutely loved the way the piano came out. The performance and production are sublime!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Tony W

Quote from: henwrench on March 03, 2011, 03:06:29 AMWord bits....

Starting today a crusade to help the frail and vulnerable
     I gave up looking and started to listen
     I heard all the systems you wanted to list
     And the 14th amendment to your agenda
     Saw me leave the building with Freddie and Bing

Long shadows run and reach
     I am another one
     Got y'eye on something wrong
     How to triple my energy

The piano was recorded in two parts. I did the 'left' hand bit first (using both hands!) and panned in slightly left and then did the 'right' hand or melody part next, panning that slightly right. I 'practiced' it at home first on my keys and then spent about 15 minutes recording in my daughters school, on their beautifully sounding 'honky tonk' piano. It's out of tune. Lovely!!
            The bass I used had no nut  :o just cardboard wedges in the place of where the nut is. The strings were rustier than a ginger cats asshole. I had to use a plec to stop the strings from detaching from the cardboard nut.
             The drum loops and 'pan pipes' were done on my trusty childs toy keyboard.
        Double tracked acoustic guitar and voice and that's yer lot.

henwrench

You gotta be shitting me....

Unbelievable Henny. You could fart in a jar and make it sound good.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tangled Wires

What a song, and love the way you created such a wonderful sound from your "borrowed" and "out of tune" instruments, it just adds to the magic of it all to me.

Sounds like a happy song to me....you must have recorded it after the Carling Cup final on Sunday :) :)

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Kenny B

WOW!!!  This is an excellent well done tune.  Great unique sounds.
... and Lennonish too ... I'm really diggin this ... listening again and
again ...

kb
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

On this day bump for this massive beauty song

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR