This needs drums!

Started by lg, January 13, 2011, 04:39:30 PM

lg

Thanx a ton Tod!
Your drums sound Ace!
I've been wanting to hear this with drums for ages....
You rock man....
Please tell us about your drum set-up....
Maybe photos?

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Rata-tat-tat

Quote from: Bluesberry on March 22, 2011, 09:33:45 AMDamn fine drumming man....what kind of kit is this, is it acoustic or Electric drums?  Man, I like your style.
Quote from: lg on March 22, 2011, 06:32:26 PMThanx a ton Tod!
Your drums sound Ace!

I've been wanting to hear this with drums for ages....
You rock man....
Please tell us about your drum set-up....
Maybe photos?

LG

First thanks for all of the kind comments guys!!! Means a lot to me hearing this from you guys. LG and BB... This is my new set up that I just completed (As far as equipment is concerned). This is me playing live on my Pearl Custom Master's (MMX). This was a kit that I had my eyes on for a while which I bought about a year ago. It had been sitting in our local music store for quite some time... I kept walking by it saying.... It will be mine... oh yes... one day ...will be mine. One of our local drum tech's in Anchorage had also been eyeing it... so he was pretty dissapointed when he heard I finally scrapped it up. The shells are sooo light weight and big and boomy. This is why I have been less than pleased with my previous recordings. The answer lies in the stereo condensor mikes for this set up. I mike all drums with dynamic mics and then point the stereo mics straight down over the snare and high hat and then over the floor tom on the right side angled toward the kick drum to pick up some punch.

I'm still not quite happy with my cymbals. One of the crashes still sounds a little thick to me. I would like the cymbals to sound a little brighter... however if I use too many highs off of the condensor mic's it also affects the way the drums sound. This is where I'm at right  now... I'm sure you will here some progress along the way. My goal is to be able to hit record and know that when I'm done it will be close enough without any further editing. This track I used a couple of different effects... therefore I did quite a few punch in/outs. I used the onboard effects from a TASCAM DP02... Mix down was done through my Yamaha MW 12 CX which I have lined out into a Behringer EQ/ out into the DP02. I'm able to add compression through the Yamaha.

I have tried using a CUBASE AI as the recorder out of the system, but I guess I'm just too old school and can't get used to using a mouse or a touchpad to tweek the tracks... knobs are much more comfortable for me.

I promise I will get some pics up of the studio... I love it... it turned out awesome. The wife is now ready for me to burn it to the ground (LOL). Just kiddin she actually is helping me decorate... but every once and a while she will throw in a comment about how much time I will be spending with my new lust.

Again thank you guys.

V/R
Tod
recorder
Tascam DP-02

lg

Well thank you Tod for this excellent description and walk-thru...
I am anxious to see your photos. And congrats on the new equipment,
I love the sound of 'em...

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

SE

Great tune, great vox and guitar and the drums really send it over the top, just a great listen love,in it big time!!
recorder
Boss BR-80