The Vintage Gear Thread

Started by Greeny, January 12, 2011, 08:02:00 AM

Greeny

The emufest has re-fired my love of vintage electronica. I thought it would be interesting to show and tell our various bits of vintage gear.

This is my Yamaha PSS-50 keyboard. It's not supposed to be much more than a toy, but it's a polyphonic keyboard with a good range of tones and nicely-weighted, larger size keys. I've done several full-scale tracks on it, including my songs 'Complex', 'It's More Fun in the Underworld', 'The Last Resort', and the Jemima's Kite song 'Pretentious Moi'. I really like it  :)

Greeny

I also have one of these Casio VL-Tones. It's the second version of it, and it's not as good as the original version (which had a rudimentary sequencer on it). I had the first one when I was 14 and wrote a lot of songs on it several years before I even picked up a guitar. My original one is in the attic somewhere - I'm hoping to be re-united with it oneday or get one on ebay (they go for a lot of money now). This is the one I have now that has yet to be used for a song. Maybe this weekend...  ;D

Oldrottenhead

i used to have a vltone but i still have my casio sk5 i should get it out for the fest.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Gritter

Here's my baby...It's got the Moog name on it but it's made by Realistic (Radio Shack). I bought it in a consignment store on Salt Spring Island for $50 CDN about 14 years ago.

Greeny

Quote from: Gritter on January 12, 2011, 09:33:34 AMHere's my baby...It's got the Moog name on it but it's made by Realistic (Radio Shack). I bought it in a consignment store on Salt Spring Island for $50 about 14 years ago.

Look at my user icon - I'm GREEN with envy! Lol. That looks like a tasty bit of kit. Lots of knobs and sliders to fiddle with.

Ferryman

Cool stuff guys. I have been preserving a Yamaha DX-100 in the attic, I got it down to do some work on a track a while back and the damn thing just wouldn't work. Real bummer.

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

cuthbert

Getting ready & looking pretty for EmuFest, here's a cuthbert family photo taken just a few moments ago...

That's my slightly battered Micromoog (it's got a snapped off Frequency knob  :'(  ), along with its siblings, a Dübreq Stylophone with stylin' woodgrain, and a Casio VL-Tone. These were all purchased at various times on eBay, which at one time offered some pretty good deals...  :D

The Micromoog and Stylophone are mid and early Seventies vintage, and are appropriately twitchy to use at times. I've had the Micromoog for over a decade, although it's been mostly mothballed in a closet in that time (not anymore!), and I got the Stylophone about a year ago. Lately, I've used the Micromoog on a currently unfinished collab with FuzzFace, and the Stylophone was recently heard at the end of my 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' cover in Punkfest.

The Casio VL-Tone (Eighties vintage) was one I found a year or two ago. No appearance on a recording by me yet, but it's coming...

The intrepid eye will also spot the Univox SR-55/MiniPops 3 rhythm machine, which I most recently used on 'Thanks For Christmas'.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Greeny

Ah... those original Casio VL-Tones fill me with nostalgic warmth and excitement... *sigh*

I'm determined to get the stylophone on something (I have a modern re-issue), but they never seem to quite fit or do what you want them to do.

I'm glad I started this thread - there's already some nice eye candy and hardware to drool over... lol

Oldrottenhead

i was hoping to see some vintage geir pics
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Wiley

What do you classify as vintage?   This is my guitar I bought in 76!! Is it vintage?

And the next one is me. LOL  this year!! Am I vintage??  

Great thread!!
PJ