Misa Digital Kitara ... don't like

Started by Migs, January 10, 2011, 08:50:30 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: alfstone on January 11, 2011, 01:57:46 PMI don't regret the 200 Euros I've spent for the YRG. Of course  I will never buy a limited edition kitara, but for this kind of things we have to wait for the new Squier Fender with MIDI output

http://admin.fender.com/features/rockband3/theguitar.php

that should be out next months for something like 300 $

Thanks Alfredo. I wasn't aware of the Squire Rock Band 3 controller. That sounds interesting too. It looks like Best Buy will be selling it for $280 US.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Squier%26%23174%3B+-+Rock+Band+3+Game+Guitar+-+Black/1601028.p?id=1218272665437&skuId=1601028

I don't care about game controller capabilities at all. But it's got MIDI Out which is the main thing I'm interested in.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

The You Rock makes a great travel guitar too. The neck is detachable so it can be carried in two pieces then snapped together when needed. The following video demonstrates this at around 2:10.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FRA-9qcAcg

And the headphone jack means you can play it anywhere. No need to carry an amp around.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Ferryman

Great info everyone! The YRG looks interesting but I still love the concept of the Kitara. The thing I like is that it is a full instrument, I view it more as a synth you play like a guitar, which is just what I want. I don't want a midi controller as I don't have any midi synth modules, I want to be able to drive cool synth sounds using a guitar fretboard. I know I could use a guitar synth but the X-Y pad appeals a lot to me as well. I am feeling GASsed up, something I haven't for a long time......

But... I just checked out the YRG and it has a lot of cool features. Hmmmmm tempting...........

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Quote from: Ferryman on January 12, 2011, 02:51:19 AMI view it more as a synth you play like a guitar, which is just what I want. I don't want a midi controller as I don't have any midi synth modules, I want to be able to drive cool synth sounds using a guitar fretboard. I know I could use a guitar synth but the X-Y pad appeals a lot to me as well. I am feeling GASsed up, something I haven't for a long time......
I am right there with you Nigel in this mad GAS wind that is blowing hard.  Its a damn Nor'easter of GAS...must not spend more money...wife will "frying-pan" me...must stop looking at these vids...the GAS winds are blowing hard...

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

That YRG is looking better by the minute. If it's easy to load your own patches (which I think it is), GAS may be calling.......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

alfstone

Quote from: Ferryman on January 12, 2011, 05:41:01 AMThat YRG is looking better by the minute. If it's easy to load your own patches (which I think it is), GAS may be calling.......

Nigel, I don't think you may upload "your" own patches on the YRG. Its has preloaded 25 guitar sounds and 50 synth sounds. But I don't rely on their quality. After all, if you have a PC (or a Mac), today isn't very difficult to find very, very good (even free, but not only... 8)) VST instruments to use. This way, thanks to the YRG used as a MIDI controller, there's a whole new world of sounds (of great quality) you may reach...this is the best way, IMO, to use the YRG...

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Bluesberry

Yes, the YRG as a MIDI controller...the sky is the limit...I like it.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Trouble is I only have one midi synth module and don't have a good PC for VST use, so it would be great to be able to edit the patches or upload my own. Perhaps the Kitara may be the way to go then.....

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Alfredo's right, you can't upload your own patches. But the tuning functions and playback functions on the YRG look so cool and it looks easier to play than a "button based" Kitara. Alfredo, what's it like to play? I'm still very tempted......

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

alfstone

Quote from: Ferryman on January 12, 2011, 07:43:25 AMAlfredo's right, you can't upload your own patches. But the tuning functions and playback functions on the YRG look so cool and it looks easier to play than a "button based" Kitara. Alfredo, what's it like to play? I'm still very tempted......

Cheers,

Nigel

Nigel, it isn't very easy to play it "as a real guitar": the main problem is, IMO, the find the best tension of the strings. Mine had a tension too hard, I had to low it a while. Then, you have strings for the right hand, while on the fretboard you have "virtual strings" to pull down.

But I repeat, I feel very comfortable when I play it in "TAP" mode (someway Stanley Jordan style), even if playing this way is an absolutely new experience for me. This way, tracking is very, very good, and latency is zero.

Anyway...if you think that since you play guitar, you may obtain immediately good results with this toy, well...forget it: it's a rather new instrument, with new concepts, so you may need some time to get comfortable with it.

By this point of view, it will be interesting to read the reviews of the new Squier...that one IS a REAL guitar...let's wait and see, the most important features I look for in these kind of things are latency and tracking.

I add that for months there have been dozens of FLAMES in the Yahoo MIDI guitar newsgroup about the YRG: if it can be considered a guitar or not, if it's a toy or an instrument...LOL!

Ciao!
Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition