Misa Digital Kitara ... don't like

Started by Migs, January 10, 2011, 08:50:30 PM

Migs

Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Ferryman

I love it and I want one!!! This is my next GAS acquisition, definitely not the limited edition though.....

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

I don't know. It looks like a lot of fun but I have several reservations. Judging from the pictures, it looks more like an advanced Guitar Hero controller than a proper musical instrument. It looks very plastic and toy-like. But pictures can be deceiving. I'd have to see it up close before I'd part with $849 US for one. If it is plastic and toy-like, then I think $200 would be a more reasonable price. For $849, I'd want solid construction and the feel of a quality musical instrument, not a toy.

There are a lot of buttons on the fretboard. What do you do when one fails? I'd want to make sure that the fretboard switches are user-replaceable, reasonably inexpensive, and easy to find. If you have to ship it back to the manufacturer every time a switch fails, that would be a deal breaker for me. And that may well be the case, judging from the photos, as it doesn't look easy to disassemble that neck.

I've never been a fan of headless guitars. They look too weird. I realise that the Kitara doesn't need a head because it doesn't have strings, but I think it should have one anyway just for looks. And maybe they could find some inventive way to make the head useful, like making it hinged and spring-loaded so that it acts as a pitch bender when you pull it back.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

Quote from: 64Guitars on January 11, 2011, 09:40:32 AMI've never been a fan of headless guitars. They look too weird.

Me too. They actually freak me out. I've seen Status Quo live a few times, and their bass player always plays with a headless (not sure what brand). It spoils the gig a bit for me. And there's something about his stagewear and on-stage antics that always annoys me. Perhaps it's just because he's not Alan Lancaster.

On second thoughts, maybe it's just me that's weird and not the guitar, lol....

Bluesberry

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Migs

Quote from: 64Guitars on January 11, 2011, 09:40:32 AMI've never been a fan of headless guitars.

... or beer.  I sent one back at lunch time just yesterday.

I just don't like the whole concept of things like keyboard axes I guess.  I always thought it was all borne from the frustration of some keyboard player who was sick of never getting the chicks after a gig.
Fender 50s Reissue Tele (Mex) - blonde
Takamine EF-389 12 String Accoustic/Electric
Peavey Bandit 75; VOX AC30
Boss ME 50; Boss Micro BR; Kaossilator !

Ferryman

I really really want one!! At last as a guitarist I can play proper notes on a synth! And it's got a Kaoss pad type controller built into it, which is heaven for a Kaossilatorist/finger waggler like me. I was going to save up for a new bass guitar but this is the GAS for me. I want to be like Rob Swire from Pendulum!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

64Guitars

Quote from: Migs on January 11, 2011, 11:47:38 AMI just don't like the whole concept of things like keyboard axes I guess.  I always thought it was all borne from the frustration of some keyboard player who was sick of never getting the chicks after a gig.

That may be true of instruments like the Roland AX-Synth which are played like a conventional keyboard instrument. But I think that instruments like the MISA Kitara are aimed at guitar players who are jealous of the unlimited range of sounds available to keyboard players. By using a guitar-like MIDI controller like the Kitara, a guitarist can control any synthesiser or MIDI sound generator without needing any keyboard skills. That's something I've been interested in for a long time. I already have a Yamaha keyboard, but my keyboard skills are rubbish. If I could control its sounds with something like the Kitara instead, that would be wonderful.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Here's another digital guitar that might be more up my alley. It's probably even more toy-like than the Kitara and its name sucks (the You Rock guitar ::)) but it's only $199 US.

It has a regular 1/4" output jack so you can plug it straight into a guitar amp and play the built-in sounds. But it also has MIDI Out and USB so you can control synthesisers, sound generators, and sequencers.

http://www.yourockguitar.com/

http://www.inspiredinstrumentsinc.com/
recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

alfstone

Hi 64chitarre,

I own a YouRockGuitar (probably I'm one of the first ones here in Italy) since a couple of months. The final synth solo on Hey Jude with GianniC it's me on the YRG, driving a VST instrument-synth (Arturia ARP 2600) on my Mac.

My sensations:

surely it's plastic, and it's headless, and I don't care at all about its internal sounds (for this I have my  "good" guitars, apart from the VG-99, the GT-Pro etc.
I use it ONLY connected via USB to the Mac, to drive VST instruments, and by this point of view,
- with the most recent firmware,
- giving less tension to the "strings",
- setting up the right sensitivity to the 6 strings, and, most important
- using it in a particular "TAP" mode

it gives great results: no latence at all, very good if we think about the price.

I don't regret the 200 Euros I've spent for the YRG. Of course  I will never buy a limited edition kitara, but for this kind of things we have to wait for the new Squier Fender with MIDI output

http://admin.fender.com/features/rockband3/theguitar.php

that should be out next months for something like 300 $

...and for the same range of the "normal" Kitara there is already the less expensive of the Ztars

http://www.starrlabs.com/products/ztars/baby-z

Bye
Alfredo

Now, for

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro