"Hole in the moon" a Geir&Jarle original

Started by Geir, January 08, 2011, 06:55:28 PM

Jim1970

What an AWESOME listen!!
Lots of COOLNESS going on here!!
I love how you build the Sounds up then CRASH! a very cool SOLO!!

OMG Sounds like Bongo now. this is incredible another Guitar Stumming.
Great job Guys!!
Jim from Jersey!
Now on SoundClick and Reverbnation
http://members.soundclick.com/jmarciniec1970
http://www.reverbnation.com/jamesmarciniec
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

I can't believe it's taken me so long to get to this epic tune. It has everything including a great bass line that is supurb. Just wonderful...............Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

#gpmproject

hi Geir? are you sure that you using BOSS BR - 800? same device like me? what a fantastic sound - unbelievable

Facemask93

Wow , what a great song buddy , you are seriously growing as a musician , i particulally like the first guitar solo , both the tone and the structure , the use of the bongo's also add to the song greatly , something i hope to add in the future with my new Wavedrum , you must give us the lowdown on the way you went about recording this epic masterpiece

Rob

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

"All along the ancient wastes the thin reflections spin,
that gather all the times and tides at once we love within."
 - Roy Harper

Kenneth

as mentioned , Bowie, Floyd , early Genesis, and i'm adding John Lennon in there, pretty amazing stuff as usual guys.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

SwanSong

The mice put the hole in the moon they thought it was cheese lo . re swiss
just kidding lo . any rate this up to your usual high quality standards. very
mellow and great visuals in the lyrics and great vox per usual tc NEIL
THIS  deserves a bump up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bluesberry

Another beaut I missed...man Geir, this is incredible....I love this...the feel...the mood.....I feel like this song is already in my head as I listen....whats the deal here...I can't believe how much I love this song....this reminds me of a song I wish I had done...a song in my head..every change, every section...it is all resonating with me..............Geir, what have you done here, a damn masterpiece song brother.  Its like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Captain Beyond, Radiohead...I don't know ...its like everything I like in a song all rolled into one here...deadly good.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

Thank you for all your kind words !! My brother is also stunned by the great reseption we've got on this tune !!

Quote from: OsCKilO on January 10, 2011, 11:26:04 AMDoes Jarle have a very similar voice to you G?  perfect match!
Well on some songs they can sound quite similar. We did a song he made over a year ago, which I ended up singing, but it sounded quite like he would have sounded if he'd sang as much as I have done since I joined here. ( He needs to get a BR and start singing more).

Quote from: Ferryman on January 14, 2011, 12:45:04 PM....... You need a double album of this, not 17 minutes!
When we get a week off we'll do that ;D
QuoteDefinite flashes of zappa and Floyd plus of course wacky Scandinavian prog rock.
"wacky Scandinavian prog rock" ... I like that :D

Quote from: facemask93 on January 20, 2011, 11:34:43 AMWow , what a great song buddy , you are seriously growing as a musician , i particulally like the first guitar solo , both the tone and the structure , the use of the bongo's also add to the song greatly , something i hope to add in the future with my new Wavedrum , you must give us the lowdown on the way you went about recording this epic masterpiece .....
Thanx Rob !!

The recording of this where done as we wrote it .... My brother had the idea of the first odd chordprogression and the phrase "there's a hole in the moon, someone put it there on purpose" I added some chords to complete the first part and we bounced lyrics up in the air until it settled on what you hear. The first guitarbreak, my brother came up with (he played it on the synth). We recorded the first part (except the bass) and the guitarbreak. The next part was written to give the guitarbreak another flavour and just the backing keys where recorded first and a basic drumtrack was made. We wanted a keychange and needed a seque, my brother did the scream processed through a harmony-patch on the BR800. The next silly seque was my idea to get to the next key, I played the keys and added the solo. Time for tempo-change :) To keep some continuity throughout the song, the chord-progressions on all the parts, but the first and last, are more or less the same (tho in different keys), but with small variations in the descending bass-pattern. There are also variations of the melody recurring in the different parts (also mirrored). The melody on the fast part was made on a runthrough of the part and is as far as I can recall first take. We wanted a build-up in the dynamic so we added the acoustic and electric guitars when my brothers vox comes in and did the dual vox on the last part. Then we needed another segue to get in the right key for the last part (and ended up with a less weird one than the previous ones ::) ) We wanted to bring it "down to earth" on the last part and repeated
 a stripped down version of the opening.

The synth addition to the first break was added with me and my brother playing together on the synth (me plying the high melody line and he playing the fast percussive part). The djembe was added by my brother and gave the drums a much more organic feel all together. I added the bass and we had some bouncing and mixing to do before the final master.

All vocals were recorded with the Behringer B2 pro condencer. The djembe had a couple of dynamic mics in addition to the condencer. Acoustic guitars recorded with condencer + plugged in (natural patch).

All synthsounds (including organ) are from my Roland D10.

Quote from: Bluesberry on January 28, 2011, 11:10:31 AMAnother beaut I missed...man Geir, this is incredible....I love this...the feel...the mood.....I feel like this song is already in my head as I listen....whats the deal here...I can't believe how much I love this song....this reminds me of a song I wish I had done...a song in my head..every change, every section...it is all resonating with me..............Geir, what have you done here, a damn masterpiece song brother.  Its like the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Captain Beyond, Radiohead...I don't know ...its like everything I like in a song all rolled into one here...deadly good.
WOW Thanks Dave !! From a fellow progger that means a lot !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

chip withrow

Spooky and trippy - I had to pour myself another glass of malbec and put on the headphones to fully appreciate this. It's like a suite - I just finished listening to the "monster guitar solo" section and now I'm back to "funk part 2" section. A brilliant, fully realized song.

Bluesberry

I am looking for cheese, and this one caught my eye first..........you got a monster song here man.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand