"Hole in the moon" a Geir&Jarle original

Started by Geir, January 08, 2011, 06:55:28 PM

Tony W

Interesting compilation of a song. I like the transitions. Zappa meets Floyd meets Geir and Jarle. I really liked how this worked out, but I waited entirely too long for some melody guitar. The beginning was begging for some melody licks. How you resisted is beyond me. I was actually fidgeting until I heard some guitar.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss BR-80

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Tangled Wires

I got the Pink Floyd vibe too right from the opening notes and the way the songs changes in character throughout gives it a real prog rock feel, it keeps your attention throughout with all the clever percussion additions and guitar parts.

A "little" song done over a weekend you say....most bands would take a year to come up with something of this quality!

Top tune guys.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Satchwood

Wow, this is really CooL Prog at it's Finest !!   Norwegian-Bowie-Zappa-Floyd NBZF Ya!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Geir

Thanks guys for the kind words !!! Much appreciated !!

We originally set out to make a 17 minute song, but Mr. Jameson wouldn't let us do more than this ...... well  next time maybe :D

oh ...

now on soundclick :
[soundclick]10112465[/soundclick]
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Ferryman

Somehow I missed this, glad you bumped it a bit. You need a double album of this, not 17 minutes! There's lots of different ideas and flavours here but it hangs together really well,. Definite flashes of zappa and Floyd plus of course wacky Scandinavian prog rock. There's lots of great musicianship going on here but I particularly liked the bass, great work there. Vocals spot on as always and overall its an incredibly impressive piece of work. You really do come from a musically talented family!

All I can say is perhaps the moon knows the secret of the new sound.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbnZNJptWEQ

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Rickocaster

Quote from: AndyR on January 09, 2011, 02:18:04 AMI was listening and thinking "this really shouldn't work... all the different threads of ideas... but it does...". I love it :)

I saw Paul McCartney (sp?) playing "Band on the Run" the other day on TV and was struck by the amount of success he's had piecing unrelated strings together. If done right, it can really work.  And brothers, you did it right.
http://www.youtube.com/rickocaster
Come on, you know you want to go there...

Kenny B

Great arrangement/changes/everything ... I must admit ... I'm new
and a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff I'm hearing here and just can't
keep up and post on enough of these ... This is excellent.

kb
recorder
Zoom MRS-1266
recorder
Boss Micro BR

tom r

Its all been said but gotta repeat this iis a classy piece of music. It is very Pink Floyd. Great feel to the song and great changes which work well together

T
Tom Reeves
Lobelia Sound

AndyR

Quote from: Rickocaster on January 17, 2011, 10:42:10 PM
Quote from: AndyR on January 09, 2011, 02:18:04 AMI was listening and thinking "this really shouldn't work... all the different threads of ideas... but it does...". I love it :)

I saw Paul McCartney (sp?) playing "Band on the Run" the other day on TV and was struck by the amount of success he's had piecing unrelated strings together. If done right, it can really work.  And brothers, you did it right.

+1

And by the way Geir, you posting this song seriously derailed the AndyR recording schedule! :D

I was all set to finally record a "four-on-the-floor" pop-rock song I've had up my sleeve for ages. Part of the reason for choosing it was a "simple" start to learning the drum stuff on my BR1600...

But then you posted this... (and my double bass arrived, that was another factor...) ... and I remembered a song I deliberately wrote as "parts" in the nineties. Now I'm nearly two weeks into recording and arranging the bluddy thing! And possibly two weeks more to go... and I'm not even sure it will come in under the size limit even when squashed as a 128 mp3 ::)

... and it's ALL YOUR FAULT! :D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann