The Rutting Stagg 3/4 EDB - AndyR Original-ette

Started by AndyR, January 08, 2011, 11:19:13 AM

AndyR

RUTTING_STAGG
Time:
0:00
Volume:
A short jingle to test out my new Stagg 3/4 Electric Double Bass. A massive one minute's worth :D

I used the MBR for the whole thing.

The bassline was recorded first, pretty much ad hoc. I plugged the beast straight into the Guitar In socket and recorded it dry. I then ended up sticking a severely tweaked "Bass Clean" preset on it.

Then I twiddled my thumbs and looked at the ceiling for a bit...

I decided to stick a single guitar on it using my Godin archtop. Spent a moment learning the chords and then winged it. That was with the in-built mic with the "Only Limit" preset on the input.

Then I started playing various percussion instruments and moaning.

I'm amazed I can play this thing (the bass) in tune after only having it for two days... I've never really played a fretless instrument before, so I'm quite pleased with the results/potential... Pity I can't play it in time! (or the percussion for that matter...) :D

The Rutting Stagg 3/4 EDB
Music AndyR
Recorded on an MBR
Electric Double Bass, Guitar, Vocalisations, and assorted shakey rattley things - AndyR
Copyright (c) 2011 A A J Russe

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

cuthbert

Short and sweet! I picture a smokey café...

That bass sounds aces, Andy - any timing missteps didn't jump out at me.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

lg

Sounds sweet Andy!!!!!
Santa was good to you....LOL

LG
nothing is real... So theres nothing to get hung about!

Bluesberry

That bass sounds positively wickedly good. Great recording, it records very well.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Gnasty

That bass sounds sweet for looking like an umbrella :D. Great playing Andy.

The TOO short recording ;) sounds amazing. More! More! More!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

Ferryman

Sounds great Andy. The beauty of a fretless is that you can slide the notes to make any timing issues minimal and make it sound like you "really meant to do that". Certainly nothing jumped out at me and I agree with what you say in the other thread about the "organic" feel. The bass really carries the rhythm along.

It sounds great, you are clearly getting to grips with it. Is the tuning the same as a normal bass? More please!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

stoman

Pretty, Andy ... but I miss your voice on it! :)

Regards,
  Steffen

Geir

oh yeah ... 2011 will be a good year !!! :D :D :D

MORE MORE MORE !!!!!!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

AndyR

Yep, same tuning as an electric bass guitar. You can make it sound like a bass guitar rather easily (rather too easily when you're trying to get "upright" :D), so I imagine this might get used a lot on things I wasn't expecting now... the missus loves it.

It's opened up a world of possibilities for a bunch of songs I wasn't going to bother recording yet. With the EQ on the BR1600, and adjusting my playing, I think I get it sounding more "acoustic" - but I don't want to fall into the trap of obsessing over that, it's not an acoustic bass, it's its own thing :).

Anyway, rather than recording anything yesterday I was digging all these old songs out and rehearsing a bunch of them. In particular, there's one from '94 I never thought I'd touch. At the moment I imagine one bass, one guitar, and one voice for this one!! :o :D. The BR1600 project is set up for it, but no audio recorded yet. Could take a while to achieve though, what with rehearsing the guitar/vocal and writing/rehearsing the bass part. It's quite complex, and I'd like to do the guitar and bass parts both in one take, but that will take a lot of rehearsal...

In the meantime, I might even do a few "rough and ready" covers of some songs I want to do/post using this instumentation. Partly as a practice for the bass/singing and for the recording techniques that might be required to do it.

It's strange, we have a living room full of electric guitars, but everything I do keeps pushing me towards the acoustic stuff. I was just about to record a pop-rock song with full band, even knowing this bass was about to arrive... I just didn't realise how much I might take to it and how much it might push me straight back to all the stuff I wrote in the mid 90s!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1