U2 and Me

Started by Ferryman, January 07, 2011, 04:29:07 PM

Ferryman

Quote from: Ted on January 17, 2011, 08:52:12 PMSo hat's off to you, the Also Rans and Pete Best's of Songcrafters!

LOL Ted, that's us. The might have beens. Good name for a band?

The thing I like here is hearing music from people that could do something with their music. There's lots of young talent and even not so young people like Greeny could and should get somewhere with their wonderful work. For me, it's all just for fun now, but I have to say I am enjoying my music now more than I ever have in the past 40 years!

Quote from: Ted on January 17, 2011, 08:52:12 PMI ended up in IT too.

Yaay, another one!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

FuzzFace

My high-school drama teacher wanted me to play the Tooth Fairy.

I turned it down.

The second-choice went on to win a theatre award in some competition with that role.

ODH

Nothing so glamorous.  Was in a band in the 80s who subsequently went on to support the Fall. There but for the grace of God...
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

dasilvasings

I don't have stories such as yours. I had my first band when I was in high school. We didn't play shit, and I mean shit! we used to rent a studio for 3 hours, put the amps at max, make noise amd record it in a zx spectrum tape.

Statistically, there were moments where "harmonic noise" was eventually created, so on the next day we would bring the tape in a walkman and show our colleagues. we would show them some seconds of "harmonic noise" and then we would stop because "we knew they had some friends in another band, and they would steal our songs". People started to talk about us, "pois pois".

Then one day I met a friend that lived on the other side of Lisbon and asked him if he knew "pois pois": "I never heard them, but everybody is talking about them"

My first band was a fraud, and we loved it!
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on January 18, 2011, 07:32:01 AMMy high-school drama teacher wanted me to play the Tooth Fairy.

Fool!  The first rule in show biz is Never turn down the role of Tooth Fairy!
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

FuzzFace

Quote from: Ted on January 18, 2011, 10:49:13 AM
Quote from: Zen Master FuzzFace on January 18, 2011, 07:32:01 AMMy high-school drama teacher wanted me to play the Tooth Fairy.

Fool!  The first rule in show biz is Never turn down the role of Tooth Fairy!

I know, I know... Had I pursued that, I may have gotten the honour of being roasted by Ricky Gervais last weekend.

Greeny

I was in a very short-lived synth band (as a singer) back in the mid-80's. We split up even before we settled on a permanent name, but it was heading towards being called 'Berlin Basement'. We did quite a few writing and rehearsal sessions and even had a manager lined up - some guy who had worked with UB40, but had been badly injured and forced to retire from performing. He quite liked what he heard, but I'll never forget his advice: 'if you haven't made it by the age of 26, you never will!'. He was right: I never did. I could still play one of the songs we wrote though - I'm quite fond of it, even in hindsight. The rest of the band f*cked off to university, and that was that. We were moving in the same circles as a band called The Sensible Jerseys - they actually got signed (by Virgin I think) and looked like they were going to make it big. They made a record but it never got anywhere.

My next stop was a non-starter punk band called 'Charlie Don't Surf', where none of us could really play (I'd switched to guitar by this point...). We folded within 3 months. That was 1987. My next band was Jemima's Kite!!!! Lol

I've managed to meet Bryan Ferry, Sam Phillips and Lenny Kravitz along the way, but not in a musical sense sadly.

Oh yeah... and spent New years Eve with Bruce Foxton once. The drunken fool spilt his drink all over my jacket!

64Guitars

Quote from: Greeny on January 18, 2011, 11:05:48 AMWe were moving in the same circles as a band called The Sensible Jerseys - they actually got signed (by Virgin I think) and looked like they were going to make it big. They made a record but it never got anywhere.

These guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uikZ6D7fvH0

http://www.45cat.com/record/vs813

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

OsCKilO

Quote from: Gritter on January 16, 2011, 02:52:47 PMPS: They stole that rhythm track from Michael Jackson's "The Way You Make Me Feel"!

It Sounded like this Rhythm track....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx2Y_a_yGyY
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Burtog

..........er, I supported Teenage Fan Club at the Lead Mill in Sheffield in 2003, does that count?? ???
recorder
Boss BR-800