Drumbeats Intellectual Property?

Started by FuzzFace, January 05, 2011, 02:18:00 PM

FuzzFace

Are drum beats intellectual property?

Greeny

I'm not sure 'drum' and 'intellectual' are words that belong in the same sentence, lol.

I can't see how they can be, unless there is something ultra-distinctive about them. It would be hard for most drummers to pick out their beats in an identity parade. Interesting question - I have to say I don't really know!

Geir

Quote from: Greeny on January 05, 2011, 02:50:29 PMI'm not sure 'drum' and 'intellectual' are words that belong in the same sentence, lol.
I'll show this post to my brother when he comes over for the weekend ;D ;D ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

well phil collins got half the copyright from peter gabriel for the song intruder. he was messing about. pg recorded him. then later wrote a song round the drumtrack. when pc heard it he demanded a writing credit.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Greeny

Quote from: oldrottenhead on January 06, 2011, 07:29:30 AMwell phil collins got half the copyright from peter gabriel for the song intruder. he was messing about. pg recorded him. then later wrote a song round the drumtrack. when pc heard it he demanded a writing credit.

Collins is a w*nker though

henwrench

Mad subject really....

If a drumbeat is 'intellectual property', then surely so is a guitar chord, or sequence of. And yet literally thousands and thousands of songs contain the same patterns, beats, basslines etc. These are the 'building blocks' of songs. It's how it all comes together at the end that distinguishes one song from another. 'Save Tonight', by Eagle Eye Cherry and 'If God Was One Of Us' by that bird who I once used a toilet cubicle after, are essentially the same song. I remember a few years ago Public Enemy and NWA going through the same argument over who 'owns' a beat. Who 'owns' the G-C-D sequence?

henwrench

ps That cubicle absolutely reeked of poo and wee. Dirty girl....
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

FuzzFace

Quote from: henwrench on January 06, 2011, 07:54:16 AMps That cubicle absolutely reeked of poo and wee. Dirty girl....

Maybe it smelled before she got there.

Gritter

Quote from: henwrench on January 06, 2011, 07:54:16 AM'Save Tonight', by Eagle Eye Cherry and 'If God Was One Of Us' by that bird who I once used a toilet cubicle after, are essentially the same song.

henwrench

ps That cubicle absolutely reeked of poo and wee. Dirty girl....

Why were you using the women's lavatory?

henwrench

Quote from: Gritter on January 06, 2011, 09:25:25 AM

Why were you using the women's lavatory?
[/quote]

Unisex plastic shit houses, backstage somewhere. And I can catergorically state she was the first person to use it.  :D :D

henwrench

ps I still can't remember her name, but I know she was blonde
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Joan Osborne. The Dirty Birdy Birdy  :D