Mick Karn Died Yesterday, aged 52

Started by Greeny, January 05, 2011, 03:46:52 AM

ODH

Quote from: Ferryman on January 07, 2011, 05:32:00 AM
Quote from: chip withrow on January 06, 2011, 01:42:20 PMWeren't groups like that part of the "New Romantics" movement?

They were going at the same time but weren't quite in that category (although there were similarities). Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet typified the New Romantics whereas Japan were more arty and bit more alternative. Definitely some similarities but Japan were unique in many ways

For a time they had similar haircuts and suits as Spandau and Duran Duran, I think a lot of people were confused by that (and I daresay Japan were happy to ride the wave for a while).  But Nigel is right, Japan had a lot more depth and artistic intent.  Plus they'd already been around for several more alternative albums before the New Romantic times.

Gentlemen Take Polaroids is probably my favorite of their albums (and probably in my top 5 of all albums).
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Greeny

Quote from: Nick / odh on January 07, 2011, 06:43:04 AM
Quote from: Ferryman on January 07, 2011, 05:32:00 AM
Quote from: chip withrow on January 06, 2011, 01:42:20 PMWeren't groups like that part of the "New Romantics" movement?

They were going at the same time but weren't quite in that category (although there were similarities). Duran Duran and Spandau Ballet typified the New Romantics whereas Japan were more arty and bit more alternative. Definitely some similarities but Japan were unique in many ways

For a time they had similar haircuts and suits as Spandau and Duran Duran, I think a lot of people were confused by that (and I daresay Japan were happy to ride the wave for a while).  But Nigel is right, Japan had a lot more depth and artistic intent.  Plus they'd already been around for several more alternative albums before the New Romantic times.

Gentlemen Take Polaroids is probably my favorite of their albums (and probably in my top 5 of all albums).

Japan had a very strange history. They started out as glam rockers, so were completely out of kilter with what was happening musically around 1977 and 1978. They changed their names (early on) to variations of the members of the New York Dolls, and that was pretty much their style to start with. It's fair to say their eventual look and music (as was the case with a lot of new romantics) was VERY influenced by Roxy Music with a bit of Bowie on the side. Japan always were a cut above the other new romantic bands of the time. There's never really been anything before or since that sounded quite like them. I was 15 at the time, and worshipped them. I was a full-on new romantic back then, and David Sylvian was my style icon. Strangely, they sound as good to me today as they did then. 'Tin Drum' is my favourite album, but it's really close between that and 'Gentlemen...' and 'Quiet Life'.

64Guitars

Found a short documentary on Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnP0mUMx5DM

I'm curious to hear some JBK music (Steve Jansen, Richard Barbieri, and Mick Karn). I've never heard them before. I think they released a few albums in the nineties.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Bluesberry

Quote from: Greeny on January 07, 2011, 07:04:58 AMI was 15 at the time, and worshipped them. I was a full-on new romantic back then, and David Sylvian was my style icon.
Got any pictures of yourself from this time that you would like to share?

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

I used to have a David Sylvian style floppy fringe, I will see if I can find a photo......

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Quote from: Ferryman on January 07, 2011, 08:12:37 AMI used to have a David Sylvian style floppy fringe, I will see if I can find a photo......
Photos people, we need photos!!!!!!!!!!

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

Quote from: Ferryman on January 07, 2011, 08:12:37 AMI used to have a David Sylvian style floppy fringe, I will see if I can find a photo......

Me too! I don't think I have a pic of it when it bleached, just dark red. Will have to see if I can find it. I even bought a leather box jacket like Sylvian has on the cover of quiet life. Sounds stupid now, lol.

Greeny

Those are both cracking tracks, 64 guitars. I was only listening to Assemblage last week, and it's still a superb collection.